Tesla Drama - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Solar power plants in very dry sunny areas - Africa/SW US Mexico/ Australia desert/ Middle East. This would minimize the environmental impact of these huge fields of solar panels/mirrors. Pump ocean water to these locations. Use the solar power to 1- purify the water 2- crack it into compressed hydrogen. Now we just need to move the hydrogen to areas that do not have the sunlight to do it on their own. We can use existing CNG and oil pipelines. Zero Carbon or any other greenhouse gasses.

This solves all the worlds problems and I can retire a multi-billionaire. Maybe I will even buy Hawaii. Or Fiji. Or some other exotic island as long as it ends in I.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDaddyD View Post
If the government wanted to improve the emissions from ALL vehicles, .
...or just get rid of the silly "truck emissions and safety exemptions" that loop hole legislation was the only thing keeping GM afloat for many years...

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #103 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Fury View Post
blah blah blah...This solves all the worlds problems and I can retire a multi-billionaire...
The only guy richer is the one who invents a working penis enlargement pill.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.

post #104 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Fury View Post
We can use existing CNG and oil pipelines.
no you cant... hydrogen needs to be transported and stored in stainless steel pipes and tanks.
post #105 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468 View Post
no you cant... hydrogen needs to be transported and stored in stainless steel pipes and tanks.
Then I'll invent Hydrogen that doesn't.
post #106 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Doubling from 1 to 2, and 2 to 4, and 4 to 8 is pretty easy. 8 more doublings, not so much. Take a piece of paper, any piece of paper, and double it 8 times.
... Exponential growth demonstrated brilliantly - watch it for 2 mins - honestly !!!

YouTube - Evolution Of Dance Party

The above video has very little to do with this thread - just wanted an excuse to share the video - it's really funny.

I must not bet on the Top Gear board. I must not bet on the Top Gear board. I must not bet on the Top Gear board.

Last edited by mikeyd; 06-18-2009 at 08:58 AM.
post #107 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk919 View Post
+1

It's nice to think that technology will solve all the problems of electric cars in the next few years... but technology cannot always do whatever we want it to at a reasonable cost (or sometimes at any cost).

Think about it... why go to electric cars at all? Why don't we just figure out how to make gasoline synthetically, as well as figure out how to burn it absolutely cleanly (no significant greenhouse gases or pollutants)?

The same thinking can be used to justify nuclear energy (although I think it's already more than justified)... we'll definitely figure out the storage problem in the future, right?

Why do people have infinite faith in technology for some things, but not others?
I keep hearing people talk about France, and how much of an inspiration they should be. "They are so green. No CO2 in France!" Well yeah, they get over 80% of their power from nuclear means.

The only power source that will satisfy the most militant environmentalists as well as our realistic energy needs is something called "magic," and nobody has figured it out yet. Nuclear power is clean and safe. The problem is everyone remembers Chernobyl, 3 Mile Island, etc, and it scares the hell out of them. It fosters a "not in my backyard" mentality. Even John Kerry who is all for green technology is fighting against a proposed wind farm near his island vacation house. Everyone supports prisons, dumps, train stations, etc, just not in their backyard.

the1sen: why move forward with design when you can recreate a monstrosity from the past?
FIL: Have you ever heard of a threesome? I know its her sister, but they are Swedish. That $hit is totally accepted over there.
post #108 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Good grief, it is already 2009! Where is all the cool technology that I read about when I was growing up? We were supposed to have stopped using cars a decade ago. I want my nuclear-powered hovercraft so I can zip around town like George Jetson. Oh, and I want a vacation home on Mars.

Sold the Lotus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in