Tesla Introduces Model S Electric Sedan - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Tesla Introduces Model S Electric Sedan

Tesla Motors introduced its long-awaited Model S electric sedan on Thursday and revealed that the luxury car probably will be built in Southern California, not San Jose.

The San Carlos company also began accepting orders for the sedan on Thursday, even though production isn't expected to begin until late 2011.

Tesla decides not to build sedan in San Jose
Attached Images

2008 Lotus Elise SC, Canyon Red
2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Rosso Barchetta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Well it's a Tesla, so what I've seen on Top Gear shows that it'll be really good, but completely useless and die out after 55 miles. It'll also be too heavy due to laptop batteries. At least, that's what Jeremy Clarkson tells me...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 AM

At least it's pretty, I'm not too sure if I would like a car that would be useless after 55 miles though.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Well not "Useless" as in it'll die lol. but the charge only lasts 55 miles of driving, which Jeremy Clarkson said was horrible. You'll just have to keep charging.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Garage
They're claiming 300 miles between charges depending on battery pack. So, users will probably have a choice.

For $50K (considering the tax credit), and if they have a decent leasing program (wouldn't want to have it long term until we see how reliable the car and Tesla as a company will be), I'd be interested. It's a nice looking car too.

But, considering Tesla recent reputation, in delays and price increases, I'm not holding my breath.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM

>>Well it's a Tesla, so what I've seen on Top Gear shows that it'll be really good, but completely useless and die out after 55 miles

It turned out that was all top gear's story to make it look interesting,not true. however the brakes did actually fail,,

saying that this car looks like a mistake child of parents of Saturn and Aston-Martin, it doesn't look nice, nor ugly, plain inflated weird
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Looks like a Maserati Quattroporte.

2011 Evora Quartz Silver
1970 Corvette White 4-Speed With A/C
2005 Elise Saffron yellow (sold)
2004 Buell XB12R
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Oh well, 300 miles is a lot better, but obviously it's a sedan, so less performance?
$50K is okay, but the company has never been really good with customers, although the car looks good.

It was fake??? This just sucks, I can never trust TG again!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 AM

He also did the same thing reviewing the Z06, saying that the navigation system had a speed dial button to locate the nearest hamburger, with a voice over fake navigation talking
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM

In the OP's link, there's nice video of the sedan in motion. It looks quite good. I wish them luck.

Tom
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Just received this email from Tesla

Model S is here!

Just moments ago, we took the wraps off the Model S, an all electric family sedan that carries seven people and travels 300 miles per charge. We also launched a web site and began taking orders for this historic vehicle, which will likely be world's first mass-produced, highway-capable EV.

The Model S, which carries its charger onboard, can be recharged from any 120V, 240V or 480V outlet, with the latter taking only 45 minutes. By recharging their car while they stop for a meal, drivers can go from LA to New York in approximately the same time as a gasoline car. Moreover, the floor-mounted battery pack is designed to be changed out in less time than it takes to fill a gas tank, allowing for the possibility of battery-pack swap stations.

The floor-mounted powertrain also results in unparalleled cargo room and versatility, as the volume under the front hood becomes a second trunk. Combining that with a four-bar linkage hatchback rear trunk and flat folding rear seats, the Model S can accommodate a 50-inch television, mountain bike *and* surfboard simultaneously. This packaging efficiency gives the Model S more trunk space than any other sedan on the market and more than most SUVs.

"Model S doesn't compromise on performance, efficiency or utility -- it's truly the only car you need," said Tesla CEO, Chairman and Product Architect Elon Musk. "Tesla is relentlessly driving down the cost of electric vehicle technology, and this is just the first of many mainstream cars we're developing."

Tesla expects to start Model S production in late 2011. The company believes it is close to receiving $350 million in federal loans to build the Model S assembly plant in California from the Dept of Energy's Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program.

Building on Proven Technology

Tesla is the only production automaker already selling highway-capable EVs in North America or Europe. With 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds, the Roadster outperforms almost all sports cars in its class yet is six times as energy efficient as gas guzzlers and delivers 244 miles per charge. Tesla has delivered nearly 300 Roadsters, and nearly 1,000 more customers are on the waitlist.

Teslas do not require routine oil changes, and they have far fewer moving (and breakable) parts than internal combustion engine vehicles. They qualify for federal and state tax credits, rebates, sales tax exemptions, free parking, commuter-lane passes and other perks. Model S costs roughly $5 to drive 230 miles – a bargain even if gasoline were $1 per gallon.

The anticipated base price of the Model S is $49,900 after a federal tax credit of $7,500. The company has not released options pricing. Three battery pack choices will offer a range of 160, 230 or 300 miles per charge.

But the anticipated sticker price doesn't tell the full story. Model S costs half as much as a Roadster, and it's a better value than much cheaper cars. The ownership cost of Model S, if you were to lease and then account for the much lower cost of electricity vs. gasoline at a likely future cost of $4 per gallon, is similar to a gasoline car with a sticker price of about $35,000. That's why we're positive this car will be the preferred choice of savvy consumers.

The standard Model S does 0-60 mph in under six seconds and will have an electronically limited top speed of 130 mph, with sport versions expected to achieve 0-60 mph acceleration well below five seconds. A single-speed gearbox delivers effortless acceleration and responsive handling. A 17-inch touchscreen with in-car 3G connectivity allows passengers to listen to Pandora Radio or consult Google Maps, or check their state of charge remotely from their iPhone or laptop.

Tesla is taking reservations online and at showrooms in California. Tesla will open a store in Chicago this spring and plans to open stores in London, New York, Miami, Seattle, Washington DC and Munich later this year.

We're certain you'll be hearing a lot more about Tesla in the weeks and months ahead, and we look forward to seeing you at the stores we're opening soon!

Elon
Tesla Motors
1050 Bing Street
San Carlos, CA 94070
United States

'06 Elise
'95 Lightining
'66 GTO (Sold 05-27-06)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusStig22 View Post
Well it's a Tesla, so what I've seen on Top Gear shows that it'll be really good, but completely useless and die out after 55 miles. It'll also be too heavy due to laptop batteries. At least, that's what Jeremy Clarkson tells me...
Top Gear was exaggerating. I stopped at the local Tesla dealership and chatted with some of the salesmen. Some people in the bay area have tracked their teslas, and while they get nowhere near their top range on the track, it's not as bad as Top Gear makes it seem. It's purely a function of speed. The Tesla is so efficient that air resistance directly corresponds to range, unlike with gas cars where efficiency is so low that air resistance matters only at highway speeds and above.

On a slow track, with lots of twisties, the Tesla apparently gets good mileage. On a fast track, the range is easily cut in half, but that's still double Top Gear's number.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:05 PM

so this full electric car, I have a question. It says that after ~300 miles, it needs to get recharged (just like cars, need to get refueled). 45 min for 480V recharge? That means it's going to take 3 hours to full recharge using the US system (120 V). Will there be any recharge stations (just like gas station)? I mean nobody will give out electricity for free to recharge this car. Sounds to me that this car is not meant for long distance trip (for example San Francisco to LA), I mean or even San Diego to LA.

What a waste of money!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Well, what sports car/sedan IS really meant for long distance trips? I mean, if I ever got to go from San Francisco to LA, I'd be taking a Luxury SUV (Should someone be stupid enough to marry me in like 10 years, and we had kids), and if not, at least a bigger (than the Tesla) 4-seater, something meant for comfort...would you drive your Elise/Exige from San Fran to LA? Btw if the answer is yes, nice
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM

If sport car like Elise, so unless it's our LTers, most likely people will say no.

I would think people who owns a CLS63 AMG, M5, will want to take them long distance. Tesla S will eliminate these owners.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Yes, until the charging infrastructure is in place, people will use these for local commuting and use the ICE or Hybrid ICE vehicles for extended trips.

I like these and will strongly consider it to replace my DD. Kudo's to Tesla.

2014 Stalker XL, #22
"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 PM
xtn

Another pic:
Attached Images

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM

So has Tesla actually delivered any cars yet, or is this simply more vaporware?

the1sen: why move forward with design when you can recreate a monstrosity from the past?
FIL: Have you ever heard of a threesome? I know its her sister, but they are Swedish. That $hit is totally accepted over there.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 PM

120 is "appliance" (residentail and comercial) single phase, 240 is residential 2 pole, 480 is pretty much only found in comercial buildings and is 3 phase for large motors, or lighting (@277 1p), ... 480v would never really be get u.l. listed as a daily appliance plug... too much liabilty - it can kill you, 120 will just give you nice jolt. (hence why it used in the US for "appliance" plug in - like receptacle outlets in your home or office.

i read that as more tesla spin to mis inform potential customers about what is realistic to expect.

a residential connection would be 240v 30amp at most, and it would require a pretty well protected means of connection to get u.l. listed.

plug in EV only is a bit silly - fuel cell or series electric plug ins are where its at.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in