...the Tesla roadster: what a wallowing pig of a car!.. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

The Tesla Roadster: what a wallowing pig of a car!

...what have tesla done with the lotus platform's handling?..i just finished watching tonight's top gear, and the tesla was positively embarrassing to watch slosh through the corners like a drunken sow: by all rights it should have trounced the 190hp exige, but instead it struggled pitifully everywhere the track deviated from a straight line, in the end lagging a second slower through its lap under identical conditions, despite prodigous torque, power, and shifting advantages...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DM3WBOXTdw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DM3WBOXTdw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...

Last edited by ...m...; 12-15-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: ...added video...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Those batteries aren't light. It is a much heavier car (about 800 lbs.), and if they just added significant weight to the Lotus Elise/Exige chassis without compensating for it with additional suspension engineering, you would expect what you saw.

Last edited by foosh; 12-14-2008 at 08:19 PM.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

...very sloppy standards for a hundred thousand dollar car, but i suppose that's to be expected from IPO middlemen...

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Crap tires.

For one second, I'd put that down more to the crap tires than the added weight as the torque appears to compensate enough for the weight.

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

...not just tires - the body roll was tragic, worse even than the reasonably-priced car...

post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM

The car is intentionally softer than the Lotus and is not meant to be a track car

post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 AM

Thanks. I wasn't aware that Tesla specified a softer ride.
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 AM

I'm fairly sure (but will check) but the yellow lotus it was compared against is the S.
You'd have thought that being equiv to 250bhp they would have used the elise SC but that would have been much closer.

Also looking carefully i'm slightly more than 50% certain that the tyres were yoko's
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads_green View Post
I'm fairly sure (but will check) but the yellow lotus it was compared against is the S.
You'd have thought that being equiv to 250bhp they would have used the elise SC but that would have been much closer.

Also looking carefully i'm slightly more than 50&#37; certain that the tyres were yoko's
Quoted from Abe (who would know) from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
I haven't seen the episode however; Lotus Cars UK sent out an e-mail to us in the US stating that Tesla was going to air on Top Gear with an appearance of the Elise S...the lower horse power version so I'd hope a Tesla would beat it on a drag.
And not sure if you have ever driven an electric car (I have) but one huge benefit is maximum torque right from the get go. The Ranger EV I drove was programed with a "bog" to it so it wouldn't shred the tires, but even for a pickup it felt plenty fast. I would expect it to win the drag race. Check out this vid. Even here it doesn't take it off the line but at the end of the strip it is ahead of the Exige S and everything else. shortly thereafter if would be overtaken by all as the top speed would be done. I guess this is important if you are interesting in living your life one quarter mile at a time. (and since my dragstrip is about an hour away, I'd need a trailer to come home after making a few passes) Also I don't think this is a full quarter mile- unless all those cars are running 9 seconds. Looks like it's actually an 1/8th mile.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Dsb3jTOdJQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Dsb3jTOdJQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Driving hard takes a lot of life out of the batteries, just like it takes a lot of gas out of the tank out of a car. So not sure how it would fair in a drag event, where the field keeps getting narrowed down throughout the day. One race- awesome. Kills supercars. 15 races into the day- does it still go? But heck as far as that argument goes, drag racing is about that race. Some of the huge dragsters engines only last one race and get rebuilt after each round (but they get it back together for the next round) And more than anything else, it's the consistency that matters. If the faster car "breaks out" they may win the race and still lose. So if it falls off throughout the day, that would be tough as well.

This vid is titled second run. looks like it might be losing some juice from the first race.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQG0DWz4NeY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQG0DWz4NeY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Last edited by SweetDaddyD; 12-15-2008 at 06:39 AM.
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 AM

The Elise was in fact an S, I drove it to the studio's on Tuesday, picked it up (in one peice) on Thursday.

Richard
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 AM

If the Elise was an S, that really is pitiful.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 AM

S spec in the UK a 134bhp basic car....not supercharged.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
If the Elise was an S, that really is pitiful.
The Elise S is not the supercharged version. It is not offered in the states. Its a stripped down cheaper Elise in Europe. According to this site it has 134 HP.
2008 Lotus Elise S 40th Anniversary

50 of them were made. None for the states.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramint View Post
The Elise was in fact an S, I drove it to the studio's on Tuesday, picked it up (in one peice) on Thursday.

Richard
Richard,

Do you happen to recall what wheel/tire combo was on the Elise? Was it the AD07 or A048s? I can't make out the wheels on the Elise as they're black.

As a side note, it appears Clarkson's comments about the tires on the Tesla were likely incorrect as they come with AD07s, not tires 'optimized for rolling resistance.'

post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Will check and report back tomorrow
Richard
post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM

I still don't get what the point of the Tesla is. Buy an Elise, save 60K and spend it on gas...

At least Lotus got paid to make it.
post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramint View Post
Will check and report back tomorrow
Richard
Thanks, Richard!

I'm betting it was on AD07s as well - the front tires look awfully narrow in the shot that pans around both cars before they drag race.

post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDaddyD View Post
The Elise S is not the supercharged version. It is not offered in the states. Its a stripped down cheaper Elise in Europe. According to this site it has 134 HP.
2008 Lotus Elise S 40th Anniversary

50 of them were made. None for the states.

That's my point exactly. If an Elise S beat the Tesla that badly, it's very pitiful for the Tesla.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 AM

maybe this is why someone was offering them "without the wait" just prior to the airing of this show.

because they are a total (expensive)piece of crap, and after this show, we all now know it.

"the car is not meant for the track", WTF does that mean for a sportscar?

I bet smickers' (a tesla salesperson on the site here)panties will get all bunched up after seeing this thread.
LOL

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
The Elise S has good torque and midrange (less upper end hp) but it is quite good for getting off the line. I drove an S at Nurburgring.

The Tesla is a street roadster, not a track car. I think that is all it means. Many sportscars come very softly sprung once tried on a track. My Noble being one.

I don't get all the hate for the car. It is not perfect and it is not for everyone...(I will keep the Noble, thank you) but Tesla is good for Lotus.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in