Tesla to stop making Roadster? New type 3 Elise in 2012? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Tesla to stop making Roadster? New type 3 Elise in 2012?

Saw the following posted on the internet

Does this mean a new version of the Elise is coming in 2012 since the supplie is making changes?

Who killed the electric car? Well, a closer evaluation of today's Tesla's IPO filing with the SEC reveals Tesla will. They plan to kill the Tesla Roadster after 2011. No, seriously.

The boys over at Wired:Autopia pinged us and let us know the IPO filing for Tesla says:

Prior to the launch of our Model S, we anticipate our automotive sales may decline, potentially significantly as we do not plan to sell our current generation Tesla Roadster after 2011 due to planned tooling changes at a supplier for the Tesla Roadster, and we do not currently plan to begin selling our next generation Tesla Roadster until at least one year after the launch of the Model S, which is not expected to be in production until 2012."

So, Tesla plans to kill the only vehicle they have — a two-seater Lotus-derived electric roadster — in order to develop a seven passenger sedan that has no platform yet? And they want people to invest money in them? Does Elon Musk have a set of big Israeli balls or what?

Now, let's assume they're doing this because they don't have the money to re-engineer design changes in the Roadster and deal with engineering costs for the Model S. Well, great idea — but what if they can't build the Model S? Then what happens to their only, you know, product?

So, umm, I guess you kill the cash cow for a Hail Mary, eh? Not if you're a betting person, you don't. What this really means is we'll be getting a new Lotus Elise/Exige in 2012.

So we guess the answer to "Who Killed The Electric Car?" is none other than Tesla — you know, in order to save it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
JnC

It seems like you forgot about the Esprit. 2011/2012 is about the right timeline, if it's not delayed again.

2007 Cross Country Travelblog
11 Lotus Elise Final Edition :: Chrome Orange
16 Honda CR-Z EX
76 Porsche 912E
95 Porsche 911
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 PM

If I recall correctly, Mike Kimberly's plan was to have the Elise/Exige replacement (the S3) in 2012 - the Esprit would follow that.

So this all fits in correctly with that.

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 AM

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 AM

When I drove the Evora last week, the Lotus rep said the Evora, 2011/2012 Esprit, and S3 Elise/Exige will all share the same platform. I am wondering if this means a big weight gain for the S3.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Well lets hope Evora sales sky rocket when it finally becomes available or better yet, hope that the economy improves because if it doesn't, I don't see how it would make any business sense to build the Esprit.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas213 View Post
...the Lotus rep said the Evora, 2011/2012 Esprit, and S3 Elise/Exige will all share the same platform. I am wondering if this means a big weight gain for the S3.
I doubt it. What he probably meant was that they'll use the same chassis architecture. I bet the weight difference between them is not significant compared to the cost reduction in having them all share the same part.

(did some googling, I found numbers but from different sources)

The Elise Tub weighs in at 150lbs (68kg).
The Evora chassis weighs in at 220lbs (100kg).

That's actually quite a lot, so I suspect there might be more going on there.

Speaking of Tesla's minivan, does anyone know if it's based on the Lotus vva concept "Aluminium Performance Crossover - APX"?

2007 Elise Type 72D #6 of 50
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM

What they mean is that the cars will all use the vva chassis which is designed to be modular.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM

i think it's very safe to assume that the aluminum chassis cross-over vehicle is the platform for the tesla 7 passenger car... going bigger only makes the need for light weight even more important. It certainly doesn't make sense to team up with mercedes making 5500lb mid-sized SUV's...

2006 Aspen White Elise. LSS, LSD, Traction control, LS Toe Link Brace, LS Ohlins DA, Rota 15/16's, BOE surge tanks and Sector 111 Gpan2, Red leather, JL speakers all around with Acapulco MP54, CF dash top, gas shock opening rear deck, multi-vex mirros and replaced rear-view mirror with kit off this forum.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Stilling doing God's work

Rest assured Lotus will becoming out with a electric car soon as well. With everyone and their brother getting into electric, not really sure how Tesla can survive it alone. Kinda resembles the Vonage situation. In the end, someone will acquire them or they will just license their technology.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM

I confirmed this with someone at Tesla. The. Odel S will be built at a new factory in California and the last roadsters roll off the Lotus factory floor this year. After that, Lotus will retool for the new car production. I guess once that gets started, it will be time for another pilgrimage! Anyone up for a trip to Norwich?

2013 Porsche Boxster (in silver and red, home at last!)
2011 BMW 128i cabrio, ///M Sport
2005 Elise in Racing Green with the touring pack (sold 8/6/12)
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelon1 View Post
Do they have teslas there?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM

tesla's plan has been to kill the outsourced roadster, and bring production in house with the model S (thats what all the grant money was tagged for).

we have a model S show/syling buck in our galleria, and its a good looking car. i posted the pics on here like 6 months back

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM

That's a shame about the Roadster. I want Lotus to come out with a fly looking, minimal, Elise-type exotic car which is supercharged electric and semi cheap. And I want them to do very well. Nothing big...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Necrobump. Lotus fulfilled its contract to provide 2,500 Roadster gliders. Many of those cars are still on the road today. Mine is stuck in the garage with bad rear toe links. Roadster production is but a blip in Tesla's total production since this thread was created. Newer Tesla owners see the Roadster and say it's an "ugly Lotus". Exciting times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in