Tesla X - Wonder what it is... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Plackslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,426
Tesla X - Wonder what it is...

Just received this in an email.



The link from the picture.
Plackslayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered User
 
ChronosWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,980
Garage
It's an SUV. Aren't you excited?

Tesla Model X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Tesla Model X is a proposed full-sized battery electric crossover SUV being designed by Tesla Motors. "

I can barely contain my excitement. Oh wait, no, that was just gas.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
ChronosWS is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Plackslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,426
Thanks for the link. I don't think I'm that sarcastic about the release excitement levels but I do like Musk's work so far

--J
Plackslayer is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
It will be available shortly after the Tesla S finally gets delivered in 2073.
SwingLo is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,058
It's a plug-in model. It plugs into the Energy Department's government-backed low interest loans for green vehicles that no one wants.
Dylan is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
saffron blur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 65
Well it's revealed now and I have to say I think its pretty sweet!! Seven passenger SUV that does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds!!! With a performance model to become available for even faster 0-60 times!!!!!

Model X | Tesla Motors

And I do really love the Falcon Wing doors on this vehicle. Makes perfect sense here. Allows passengers to stand upright and just step right into the back seats. That giant touchscreen in the center of the interior is pretty dang cool too. And all-wheel drive to boot. For a grocery getter/soccer kids getter/going out on the town with friends vehicle this thing is very high on the want list.

I think it's gotta be the sexiest SUV design I've ever seen as well.
Attached Images
       
saffron blur is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered User
 
Minnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 1,672
I've been watching their high speed runs but can only report its fast and quiet.
Minnis is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
That's a beautiful Buick Enclave.



Seriously, it's sexy. I think Tesla does sexy cars, but howzabout they actually deliver on one first. I know a guy who's been waiting on his S for about 2 years.

The Falcon doors look cool but look ridiculously impractical. They won't make the production car.

Lastly - 7 seater? Unless the third row seat is going to be on the hood, no way a 3rd row is fitting in the back under that dome.

Seriously though the styling is a bit too derivative for me. I see Acura MDX/CDX and I see lots BMW X6 and even a built up Panamera.
SwingLo is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,900
looks like a saab.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered User
 
Minnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 1,672
I think they look more Mazda/panamera-ish at least in person. That and the sedan which I though was a Jag the first time I saw it testing.
Minnis is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered User
 
saffron blur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 65
I'm pretty sure the 'Falcon Wing' doors are happening. They are a core design element on the website and it describes why they are there. Not just for looks but primarily for functionality. They already have functioning demonstration models. Plus they are taking orders now.

Also the third row has tons of room. Remember this is an electric car and the entire battery pack is a thin skateboard looking panel at the bottom of the car. There is cavernous space inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
That's a beautiful Buick Enclave.



Seriously, it's sexy. I think Tesla does sexy cars, but howzabout they actually deliver on one first. I know a guy who's been waiting on his S for about 2 years.

The Falcon doors look cool but look ridiculously impractical. They won't make the production car.

Lastly - 7 seater? Unless the third row seat is going to be on the hood, no way a 3rd row is fitting in the back under that dome.

Seriously though the styling is a bit too derivative for me. I see Acura MDX/CDX and I see lots BMW X6 and even a built up Panamera.
Attached Images
         
saffron blur is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Plackslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,426
I'm sold. I wanted a Roadster - almost pulled the trigger twice (the tax break was insane).

This looks like a great compliment to the Evora for my tastes/needs.

Looking forward to seeing one in person.
Plackslayer is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered User
 
saffron blur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 65
The 'Falcon Wing' doors fold in the middle like a two-piece articulated gull wing. Its a great piece of engineering. It allows them to go up in a very tight parking space. Much less space than any normal door needs to open. It makes a gigantic entry point to the rear of the vehicle. And, apparently, in a roll-over scenario, the hinges between lower door half and the upper will break free, letting you escape with no explosive bolts like on the gull wing door Mercedes.
saffron blur is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
JWA
Registered User
 
JWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,814
Are the rear doors powered? If not, there's no way a kid or short person would be able to close them. I don't really see the point, just seems like unnecessary complication.
JWA is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered User
 
smicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Are the rear doors powered? If not, there's no way a kid or short person would be able to close them. I don't really see the point, just seems like unnecessary complication.
Yes, they're powered.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
smicker is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered User
 
smicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 557
Video of the unveiling event shows operation of the doors, as well as ease of entry and exit they provide:

Tesla Unveils Model X | Blog | Tesla Motors

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP

Last edited by smicker; 02-12-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
smicker is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered User
 
squidward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 5,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Are the rear doors powered? If not, there's no way a kid or short person would be able to close them. I don't really see the point, just seems like unnecessary complication.
+1. They look cool, but that's about it. They are just attention-grabbing gimmicks. They are barely functional as it is on a sports car, seeing it on an SUV is ridiculous.
squidward is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
Paul - can you share any details on range?

I just looked at a bunch of online sites and a few things:

- NOWHERE does it mention range. Sorry, but the whole 150m to a charge simply will not work for moms (people who will own this car). Moms (like my wife with 3 young boys) are frazzled. They run from place to place. They might drive 70 miles, then go home for 2 hours and then back out for another 80 miles of driving. It's just not practical to have significant charge time between drives. For those with kids, do you REALLY want the idea of your wife breaking down (no charge) with your kids in the car on a 20 degree winter day?

- The doors. No one has said the obvious. Yes, the whole (how do they go down), but....based on the height of the open, there's no way in hell that they will open in a city parking garage. In addition, we use 'Hi-Loft' storage things in our garage. Between those and the garage opener mechanism/light, I'm not sure these would open in a normal garage.

- Door 'pockets' on falcons - most moms have tons of crap in the door pockets of the rears. Open it up and it all falls out.

- 3rd Seat - sorry, but no way in hell it's comfortable, even for little kids. The rake of the rear window is just too steep. It's basically the same style back end as an X6. Also, it appears to be about the size of an X5. I just got rid of mine, but when I bought it, I took one with a 3rd row seat for a day. It's laughable. Seats are tiny, ingress/egress sucks and you sacrifice storage. Storage that moms NEED! When you get the third row going, storage looks to be minimal. Where do you put a stroller.

- Dash looks very very cool. Interior looks very nice. Nice enough to get trashed by kids.

- Visibility - you can already tell that it's one big blind spot. Throw a couple of kids in the third row and it's worse. How many issues have we had in our little Elises with other cars? For me, it's ALWAYS women in minivans or SUVs. LESS rear visibility is a bad thing. On the X6, you can literally see nothing. My mother in law had a Chrysler Pacifica for a week or two and the entire car was one big blind spot. That's a really big deal for a kid commuter.

Again, I may be wrong on the S, but I would think they need to start delivering on some of those cars first. What are they, a year or two late?

Looks like a very nice crossover SUV of which there are a ton out there. A really cool dashboard (that most moms will hate having to figure out) and fancy doors don't really jazz me above and beyond that.

Now, I don't know what this is (concept?), but this is cool:

SwingLo is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
- NOWHERE does it mention range. Sorry, but the whole 150m to a charge simply will not work for moms...
Depends on the 'mom'. I handle taxi duty for our 4 kids and never exceed 100 miles unless I go out of town. My wife's car or the Elise are available for those trips if necessary.

Based on battery size I'd estimate the Model X offers the choice of 160 or 230 miles of range. That doesn't work for everyone, especially not one-car households, so the addressable market might be "only" 150 million. Of course in reality the market for any high-end crossover, gas or electric, is much more limited than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
- The doors....
They designed for garage door openers and parking garages. Door pockets are easily handled. I'm more curious about rain intrusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
- 3rd Seat - sorry, but no way in hell it's comfortable, even for little kids
Neither you nor I can say that because we haven't sat in it. Your X6 comparison is flawed, among other things the X6 has a gas tank and muffler usurping rear end space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Where do you put a stroller?
Behind the 3rd row. Did you watch the video? Look near the 21 minute mark.

I'm not a Tesla fan. I'd do things much differently than them and by most accounts Elon Musk is a real jerk. But in an industry in which "innovation" means putting in two extra cupholders and which can't seem to figure out how to start a car without adding 100 lbs of dead weight, I'm delighted to see someone actually doing something different. Especially since that "something" offers the only real hope for the USA to stop committing economic and geopolitical suicide by importing half a trillion dollars of oil each year from a world market controlled by enemy states.
Doggydogworld is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered User
 
smicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 557
Range is expected to be slightly less than Model S, which comes in 3 capacities: 160, 220, and 300 miles. 70 + 80 = 150 so you should be fine on one charge even at the low end. Go for the 220 or 300 mile version if you're making multiple 100+ mile runs per day. My feeling is that if you can remember to fill up the tank you can remember to fully charge

The doors open no higher than an SUV hatchback. If you can open your hatch is a particular space you can open the falcon doors.

Driving a 2-seater myself I know nothing about kids and back door pockets Do sliding minivan doors have pockets?

I took a number of drives in the back row, there is plenty of room. I'm 5'10". 2nd row seats move forward to aid entry and exit. Behind the third row is yet more storage.

Kids can trash an X6 or Cayenne too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Paul - can you share any details on range?

I just looked at a bunch of online sites and a few things:

- NOWHERE does it mention range. Sorry, but the whole 150m to a charge simply will not work for moms (people who will own this car). Moms (like my wife with 3 young boys) are frazzled. They run from place to place. They might drive 70 miles, then go home for 2 hours and then back out for another 80 miles of driving. It's just not practical to have significant charge time between drives. For those with kids, do you REALLY want the idea of your wife breaking down (no charge) with your kids in the car on a 20 degree winter day?

- The doors. No one has said the obvious. Yes, the whole (how do they go down), but....based on the height of the open, there's no way in hell that they will open in a city parking garage. In addition, we use 'Hi-Loft' storage things in our garage. Between those and the garage opener mechanism/light, I'm not sure these would open in a normal garage.

- Door 'pockets' on falcons - most moms have tons of crap in the door pockets of the rears. Open it up and it all falls out.

- 3rd Seat - sorry, but no way in hell it's comfortable, even for little kids. The rake of the rear window is just too steep. It's basically the same style back end as an X6. Also, it appears to be about the size of an X5. I just got rid of mine, but when I bought it, I took one with a 3rd row seat for a day. It's laughable. Seats are tiny, ingress/egress sucks and you sacrifice storage. Storage that moms NEED! When you get the third row going, storage looks to be minimal. Where do you put a stroller.

- Dash looks very very cool. Interior looks very nice. Nice enough to get trashed by kids.

- Visibility - you can already tell that it's one big blind spot. Throw a couple of kids in the third row and it's worse. How many issues have we had in our little Elises with other cars? For me, it's ALWAYS women in minivans or SUVs. LESS rear visibility is a bad thing. On the X6, you can literally see nothing. My mother in law had a Chrysler Pacifica for a week or two and the entire car was one big blind spot. That's a really big deal for a kid commuter.

Again, I may be wrong on the S, but I would think they need to start delivering on some of those cars first. What are they, a year or two late?

Looks like a very nice crossover SUV of which there are a ton out there. A really cool dashboard (that most moms will hate having to figure out) and fancy doors don't really jazz me above and beyond that.

Now, I don't know what this is (concept?), but this is cool:


2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
smicker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome