Tesla X - Wonder what it is... - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Garage
Ugh, just what the world needs, another SUV. DO NOT WANT.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Those doors will be great when there's snow on the roof.

If you want this kind of performance, want three rows of seats, and want to go 400 miles on a tank of gas, you can always buy a used Mercedes R63. And then, when you get where you're going, you can drive back after a 5 minute fill up.

Or, you can buy any regular minivan for $25k. It'll do any legal speed and 20 more on the highway, and with the extra $50k you'll save, you can drive 314,286 miles (($50k/($3.5 gal) x 22 mpg).
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Those doors will be great when there's snow on the roof.

If you want this kind of performance, want three rows of seats, and want to go 400 miles on a tank of gas, you can always buy a used Mercedes R63. And then, when you get where you're going, you can drive back after a 5 minute fill up.

Or, you can buy any regular minivan for $25k. It'll do any legal speed and 20 more on the highway, and with the extra $50k you'll save, you can drive 314,286 miles (($50k/($3.5 gal) x 22 mpg).
Why would you drive 400 miles, then turn around and drive back 5 minutes later? That simply makes no sense.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Fair enough to all my criticisms but the bigger issue is delivery.

Paul, you'd know more than me, but isn't Tesla's big issue getting the S out the door? It's what, 1-2 years passed when people expected it to come out? I work with a guy who ordered one forever ago.

That being said, it does look very interesting. However, I'm not quite sure what the market is for these. Does the world really need another $70K SUV? Yes, the whole 'electric' thing, but I would think that Tesla's next logical step would have been something smaller - say a nice coupe or something like a hot hatch (Audi A3 size etc) which can fit a ton of people, weigh less and be priced a bit less.

The same type of people who value 'green' vehicles (think San Fran, Portland, Seattle, etc) also dig the poster cars for that set - Subaru Outbacks. I would think something a bit more in line with the size of an Outback would be better served.

Either way, I'm just not crazy about the range. I'd be very nervous if my wife and kids were in a car on a 20 degree day with 18 miles of range remaining, regardless of how far they have to go. I won't let my wife drive her SUV with less than 1/4 in it.

What about trips where you don't have access to chargers - say, staying at a hotel?

I love the idea of electric, but I feel that I'd be a slave to my car. Let's face it, at times we are with our Elises. If I have to park on crazy crowded streets or drive through terrible neighborhoods, or days with a ton of rain predicted, I have to leave the Elise at home. Wouldn't want to do that with another car as well.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM

Agree. I only meant you wouldn't have to wait 8 hours for a charge.

And yes, I have done this and not spent 8 hours at my destination. I'm not recommending it, just saying it's possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smicker View Post
Why would you drive 400 miles, then turn around and drive back 5 minutes later? That simply makes no sense.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM

it looks like a chunky model S. model S is very good looking, so this is fairly ok looking.

electric drivetrain will only become more and more prevalent. and people will want them 30 years from now when gas is 20 bux a gallon or whatever... and the beauty is once you have the drivetrain worked out... you can scale the batteries to on board charging. - that is, fuel cells and such.

so... its a niche right now, tesla seems to be conceiving good product.. and everything else is irrelevant! as long as they sell enough to stay in business and continue RD and bring new product and better drivetrains to market make strategic acquisitions... thats what its all about 10-15 years from now when they are very good cars, and fit into lifestyle choices... the niche is only going to grow, not recede. the only real risk is that the big manufactures stall on the cutting edge, then adopt on the cost effective curve and rely on their marketplace volume advantage to make up coming into the game latter. even then - if tesla is successful they would then be an attractive acquisition, or seller of royalty based technology to the former. so they are really positioning themselves well in a number of scenarios.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Fair enough to all my criticisms but the bigger issue is delivery.

Paul, you'd know more than me, but isn't Tesla's big issue getting the S out the door? It's what, 1-2 years passed when people expected it to come out? I work with a guy who ordered one forever ago.

That being said, it does look very interesting. However, I'm not quite sure what the market is for these. Does the world really need another $70K SUV? Yes, the whole 'electric' thing, but I would think that Tesla's next logical step would have been something smaller - say a nice coupe or something like a hot hatch (Audi A3 size etc) which can fit a ton of people, weigh less and be priced a bit less.

The same type of people who value 'green' vehicles (think San Fran, Portland, Seattle, etc) also dig the poster cars for that set - Subaru Outbacks. I would think something a bit more in line with the size of an Outback would be better served.

Either way, I'm just not crazy about the range. I'd be very nervous if my wife and kids were in a car on a 20 degree day with 18 miles of range remaining, regardless of how far they have to go. I won't let my wife drive her SUV with less than 1/4 in it.

What about trips where you don't have access to chargers - say, staying at a hotel?

I love the idea of electric, but I feel that I'd be a slave to my car. Let's face it, at times we are with our Elises. If I have to park on crazy crowded streets or drive through terrible neighborhoods, or days with a ton of rain predicted, I have to leave the Elise at home. Wouldn't want to do that with another car as well.
Model S is not late, it's always had a 2012 release date. Your friend ordered one in 2009 when we began taking reservations.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Icy

Can you get out in a parking garage?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

No idea - it's a prototype still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in