Are we friends with Tesla drivers? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Are we friends with Tesla drivers?

I've been seeing a lot of these UGLY little buggers around town here in Los Angeles. Are we supposed to be friends...they look at me as if we are brothers.

But I don't think I like it..I know I don't like the Tesla...I know we share a chassis...but is that enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 AM

We share a bit more than a chassis, I went and checked one out at the dealership and everything looked very familiar including the same yokohoma LTS specific tires. They are built by Lotus, the key difference is the carbon fibre body, and of course the batteries/motor - which is why they are so much more expensive.... other than that - they are a Lotus through and through. The showroom sales staff did not seem too thrilled that I pulled up and parked in their parking lot and the customers all came out to see my car

In my experience in LA , Tesla owners tend not to notice that an Elise is passing by. I work right down the street from Mahalo.com (Mr. Musks new startup search engine company) in Santa Monica and there are usually 2-3 Teslas parked out front and driving around the area.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 VW Touareg - Support vehicle for all of the above
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise View Post
We share a bit more than a chassis
We actually don't share a chassis--although it is built by the same company (Norsk Hydro) that builds the Elise chassis.

Only 7% of the Elise parts carry over to the Tesla. More information can be found here:

Tesla Motors - Marketing

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
We share a bit more than a chassis, I went and checked one out at the dealership and everything looked very familiar including the same yokohoma LTS specific tires. They are built by Lotus, the key difference is the carbon fibre body, and of course the batteries/motor - which is why they are so much more expensive.... other than that - they are a Lotus through and through. The showroom sales staff did not seem too thrilled that I pulled up and parked in their parking lot and the customers all came out to see my car

In my experience in LA , Tesla owners tend not to notice that an Elise is passing by. I work right down the street from Mahalo.com (Mr. Musks new startup search engine company) in Santa Monica and there are usually 2-3 Teslas parked out front and driving around the area.

That explains I lot. I always see Teslas in front of that place. Never knew it was Elon Musks company. I live right down the street from there.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Tesla's are the enemy! take them down at all cost!
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smicker View Post
We actually don't share a chassis--although it is built by the same company (Norsk Hydro) that builds the Elise chassis.

Only 7% of the Elise parts carry over to the Tesla. More information can be found here:

Tesla Motors - Marketing
"Factual data " Coming from the mouths of the Tesla marketing department -hehehe - they are in absolute denial over the Tesla being a Lotus and their sales staff will hardly acknowledge the fact. They avoided pretty much every question I asked in regards to the subject. Snooping around and sitting in one in person you notice a hell of a lot more than %7 parts I can tell you that right now. Tesla also "plans" on buying a Detroit factory and making 100,000 cars a year that only cost $50,000 ! Only problem is they have not figured out how to get the money or how to make 100,000 people buy their non existant $50,000 cars ! Elon Musk is a big dreamer to put it politely....

Funny thing in the showroom I noticed that the front windscreen/assembly are identical to my Elise and I saw an older gentleman and his heavy wife hanging from the windscreen with their entire body weight to exit the car. I gasped and told the sales person - um you probably want to tell people NOT to do that , it is not a structural part of the car and can break.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 06-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murix View Post
That explains I lot. I always see Teslas in front of that place. Never knew it was Elon Musks company. I live right down the street from there.
Well technically it is Jason Calicanis's joint but Musk is a major player / investor. The company is not doing too well it seems. Taking on Google is not a great biz plan it seems. I think one of those Teslas is Jason's actually, but I have seen Musk on several occasions zipping around the area
RichardNHCooper likes this.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 AM

I see one guy all the time around where i live. I looked over to give a little thumbs up and he acted like he didnt see me. Pissed me off so I say no! I feel like they think we have a cheap version of there car. Just one bad apple though.

05 Lime Green- TSOLD

05 noble m400
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
"Factual data " Coming from the mouths of the Tesla marketing department -hehehe - they are in absolute denial over the Tesla being a Lotus and their sales staff will hardly acknowledge the fact. They avoided pretty much every question I asked in regards to the subject. Snooping around and sitting in one in person you notice a hell of a lot more than %7 parts I can tell you that right now. Tesla also "plans" on buying a Detroit factory and making 100,000 cars a year that only cost $50,000 ! Only problem is they have not figured out how to get the money or how to make 100,000 people buy their non existant $50,000 cars ! Elon Musk is a big dreamer to put it politely....

Funny thing in the showroom I noticed that the front windscreen/assembly are identical to my Elise and I saw an older gentleman and his heavy wife hanging from the windscreen with their entire body weight to exit the car. I gasped and told the sales person - um you probably want to tell people NOT to do that , it is not a structural part of the car and can break.
Del, the 7% figure comes from a diff of the parts list--it's not marketing spin, it's simply fact. Look closer next time you're in the showroom, the windshield is different.

The planned Model S production volume is 10,000/yr not 100,000/yr , and the factory location will be in California, not Detroit.

--Paul

2010 Tesla Roadster
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Tesla Motors - Marketing
I would love to see how they calculate that figure. You see this extrusion has the holes drilled in a different spot so its a completely different part. We use a different supplier for bolts and there are 350 of them in the car so 350 parts are different in that respect.

Im sure the cars dont share tons of parts but I'd put the number at about 50% by weight

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 AM

ahem cough cough Wired magazine interview June 15th 2009

Jalopnik - Tesla CEO Elon Musk Wants $10 Gas, To Build A Kabillion Cars - Wired Live
(The user comments below the article are comedy gold )

Seriously you don't want to try and defend Tesla marketing's "factual data" it is kind of a running joke that their "facts" are a bit dreamy and spun.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 06-21-2009 at 09:52 AM.
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Seriously you don't want to try and defend Tesla marketing's "factual data" it is kind of a running joke that their "facts" are a bit dreamy and spun.
And yet the "facts" being spun around the internet are somehow the "truth"

Certainly we don't want to miss the opportunity to start yet another bash Tesla thread now do we?

post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 AM

I give them a thumbs up anytime I see them but none have ever given one back.. But I really think that they didn't see me.

2007 ST Ti Exige S
2007 Honda Accord EX
2006 MBZ CLK500 Conv. SOLD
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe SOLD
1996 BMW 325i SOLD
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
And yet the "facts" being spun around the internet are somehow the "truth"
It's an article covering a wired live talk with Elon Musk, that is what he said at the event

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
It's an article covering a wired live talk with Elon Musk, that is what he said at the event they are quoting him .....
I was not referring to the article

post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
ahem cough cough Wired magazine interview June 15th 2009

Jalopnik - Tesla CEO Elon Musk Wants $10 Gas, To Build A Kabillion Cars - Wired Live

Seriously you don't want to try and defend Tesla "factual data" it is kind of a running joke that their "facts" are a bit dreamy and spun
The article you're quoting refers to long-term manufacturing plans to get us off foreign oil and end environmental damage. Model S is a step in that direction, as is the Roadster.

You're entitled to your own opinion about the veracity of the facts, believe what you want.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
I was not referring to the article
hmm
Attached Images

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The article you're quoting refers to long-term manufacturing plans to get us off foreign oil and end environmental damage. Model S is a step in that direction, as is the Roadster.

You're entitled to your own opinion about the veracity of the facts, believe what you want.
You corrected/questioned my 100,000 figure and detroit factory plans, I supplied my sources - thanks for playing.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You corrected/questioned my 100,000 figure and detroit factory plans, I supplied my sources - thanks for playing.
Del, the $50,000 car you referred to is Model S. Nowhere in the article does it mention this. This will be built in California, with a planned stat volume of 10,000/yr. The mass-produced car (100,000+ voume) from the Wired article you're referring to is a future third model priced far less.

Hope this clears things up.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 AM
def

Man these tesla threads go downhill way too quick.

I see more tesla's on my commute than I do lotus up here. I've waved at a couple when in my elise, and will continue to do so. It may not be a car that you guys would buy, but why the hate on the drivers!?

V10 R8 Noble M400 GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in