Are we friends with Tesla drivers? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 AM

Definately be friends - lotus are very clever with their relationships so any Tesla sale boost Lotus's funds to make the cars we love.

For example - every porsche sold (not sure if the contract is still running) had to pay Lotus for the variable valve work commissioned by Porsche.

I always like this Lotus/GM car - shame it was only a prototype
Vauxhall Eco-Speedster Proves Saving Fuel Can Be Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7594217 View Post
I see one guy all the time around where i live. I looked over to give a little thumbs up and he acted like he didnt see me. Pissed me off so I say no! I feel like they think we have a cheap version of there car. Just one bad apple though.
I've had two different drivers/Teslas ignore me

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
I've had two different drivers/Teslas ignore me
Because you're driving a "gas burner". A Teslas owner's superiority complex even exceeds those of Prius owners.

Behold the hierarchy:

[Honda Clarity]

1) Teslas
2) Prius
3) Other Hybrids
4) Gas Burners

Not to mention they feel they're driving a $100,000+ car to a $50,000 car.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 06-22-2009 at 01:35 PM.

post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM

...noticed an unspoken undercurrent in this discussion - Tesla drivers seemingly drive theirs every day, Lotus drivers usually don't, and more people see Teslas than Elises in CA/LA. Leads me to think that maybe a silent Elise is a much more liveable DD? maybe the're just listening to fantastic hifi on their commute? Maybe they're onto something?
Maybe it's Elise owners who are being bourgeois - feeling all superior for being 400lbs lighter or whatever?

Plus I couldn't get over how shocked I was that Teslas have NO exhaust pipe, just never occurred to me until I seen one, really cool!

My vote is that Tesla's are cool and Tesla drivers are pioneers!

I must not bet on the Top Gear board. I must not bet on the Top Gear board. I must not bet on the Top Gear board.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd View Post
...noticed an unspoken undercurrent in this discussion - Tesla drivers seemingly drive theirs every day, Lotus drivers usually don't, and more people see Teslas than Elises in CA/LA. Leads me to think that maybe a silent Elise is a much more liveable DD? maybe the're just listening to fantastic hifi on their commute? Maybe they're onto something?
Maybe it's Elise owners who are being bourgeois - feeling all superior for being 400lbs lighter or whatever?

Plus I couldn't get over how shocked I was that Teslas have NO exhaust pipe, just never occurred to me until I seen one, really cool!

My vote is that Tesla's are cool and Tesla drivers are pioneers!

There are plenty of Elise daily drivers in CA - there are 4 in the parking lot of my office right now. The weather here makes it much easier to drive a fun car (Elise or Tesla) everyday.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand this thread. A lot of guys on motorcycles wave at me & give me thumbs up, and I wave back, although I doubt the Elise shares parts with their bikes.

Francis
2006 Chrome Orange Elise: LSD/TC, Nitron SAs with 425/650 springs, BWR 7/8" ("Hardcore") Front Bar, Eliseparts bumpsteer kit, VF Stage 2, 2bular Header + Sport Cat + 8x24 GT3 Muffler, ECU Tune by Jermaine, Smaay's fuel rail, ACT XT clutch, Saikou Michi dual catch can, Moroso pan, Manly's mount inserts & FF Engine Damper
2000 Black Integra Type R - DD: 231,000 miles!
post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 PM
xtn

#1. Tesla hired Lotus as a vendor, just like they hired any other company to supply any other part(s). As long as Tesla paid for the work, they can call it theirs. We all know where it comes from.

#2. Whether or not you should be friends with somebody shouldn't be based on what car they own. Sure, I've met many new friends because we have a Lotus in common, but that's not why we're friends.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm in the heartland of tesla and i'm starting to see more of them than elise's... i think it'd be fun to be friends, but i got nothing out of the one owner i waved at so far. Most people who don't know what my car is ask me if it's a tesla... which i agree doesn't look nearly as nice, but anyway, I think we may actually be the "cheap and dirty" step cousin to them who're going to be snobbish about it... to the car lover i think they'd want to be friends.

I vote for friends. I think it's a sweet car, even if it doesn't look as good, i'd probably still drive it if money were no object, becuase i think silent torque is WAY more useful in a daily street car than noisy high rpm's. I've now seen a white tesla on the lot... looks a LOT better in the bright colors and white than the usual dark colors most owners seem to be ordering.
post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smicker View Post
We actually don't share a chassis--although it is built by the same company (Norsk Hydro) that builds the Elise chassis.

Only 7% of the Elise parts carry over to the Tesla. More information can be found here:

Tesla Motors - Marketing
Others have commented on the 7%...

As for the chassis, it is NOT built by Norsk Hydro, but by Lotus Lightweight Structures facility in Worcester, UK. who also build all the other Lotus chassis including the Evora. Lotus builds the Tesla from scratch (that is, unless my eyes where deceiving me when I followed one down the line while visiting Hethel...they are then shipped to the US where they put in the batteries/leccy motor...)

Oh and except for the rear sub-frame, we do share a chassis
post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM
OSX Black hat

Norwegian company Hydro sold the plant that made the elise chassis to Holden in 07, Lotus bought it in 08 and renamed it to Lotus Lightweight structures.

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM

I got a couple of thumbs-up from Tesla drivers and I also give thumbs-ups to our little electric cousins.

What's with the hate?
post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise View Post
On the Tesla website Tesla seems to imply that they essentially designed and built the roadster, I have yet to find any mention of Lotus even in their showroom literature but I could be missing it ?
from teslamotors.com:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is your relationship with Lotus?

Lotus Cars is assembling the Tesla Roadster under contract to Tesla Motors. Tesla Motors has also hired Lotus Engineering for certain design and engineering tasks.

Why did you choose Lotus as a manufacturing partner?

Lotus is the acknowledged leader worldwide for efficient assembly of sports cars at modest volumes.
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM

I live in OIL COUNTRY. so don't think I'll be seeing any Tesla's. If I do I'll wave.

I will say that most of the Porsche's I see don't want back at me. which hurts my feelings....not really, but it certainly is rude.

If you drive down the highway here, 70% of the people wave as you pass them. (on small 2 lanes roads). just a few years ago I'd have said 90%. you can be driving a 1972 Ford, and you'll still get the same waves.

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise - "the Lotus" (original I know)
1999 Jeep Wrangler
2013 335 M sport.
If you dont GET it after you drive it, then you dont GET it - serpent
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 AM
vfx

From a Tesla owner.

When the Tesla Roadster came out I did not know much about Lotus having grown up in an all Fiat family. I even have a friend who has (among other exotics) a limited Exige but never paid much attention to it.

As I looked into Lotus and what they were founded on and what they were known for and that many car makers secretly contract them for work (I'm looking at you GT-R) I was impressed that Tesla went to them rather than having the ego to try and build yet another garage toy.

If you are on the left coast where Teslas abound, you know the cars look similar to the uninitiated because we both get confused questions. My take is the Tesla is a bit dull looking and the Elise is a bit extreme looking. I like them equally.

I am proud that Lotus helped my car be as cool as it is. Imagine that Top Gear comparison without a Lotus built car!

I wave at Lotus owners and hope to join some Lotus drives in the hills to be embarrassed in the turns and to pull away out of them. That's some good racing!!

Last edited by vfx; 08-05-2009 at 09:04 AM.
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Unfortunately, my first post as a newbie is going to be a long one but I need to get this off my chest.
As an ex-Lotus engineer who is also a Tesla engineer I find a lot of this discussion really rather disappointing. I drive the Roadster regularly and wave to Elise owners and disappointingly few wave back. I am not offended or insulted by this because we are two separate vehicles made by two separate companies....we just share some DNA.
I would like to back up smicker's comment about parts compatibilty and reinforce that actually, in terms of exact same parts, there is only approx a 7% overlap. Yes, as some have suggested, on several parts there are only slight design differences but that does make them unique. You wouldn't find BMW or Toyota using a part if it was "nearly the same, we could just file it here and there to make it fit".

I meet a lot of people try to make out that the Roadster is "just an electric Elise" and that in some way it is a member of the Lotus stable. No, the reality is that Lotus is the partner of choice for anyone wanting to make lightweight structures that go fast! They are good at it and that is why Lotus was chosen. However, all the powertrain is completely Tesla despite what some 'armchair experts' might like to profess. I hear so many people saying that "Lotus did this and Lotus did that". Well, I can assure you, when it came to the powertrain components such as motor, battery, control electronics, charging, electrical safety systems it was solely Tesla and nothing to do with Lotus.
On this point, I saw a comment earlier about people thinking they know all about Tesla because they sat in one.....I couldn't agree more! It was the same when i was at lotus as it is at Tesla, there are so many people who read the mags and listen to the journalists who all of a sudden become an expert and try to tell those that work within a company about how they are wrong. Well, good luck to those people........For those on the inside it is VERY frustrating when you know the truth.

Be under no illusions, Lotus was an engineering partner during development and is a manufacturing partner during production and they are well paid for those services. In a time when Lotus cash flow was low Tesla were a very welcome source of income and continue to be so. Nobody at Tesla denies Lotus' invaluable input to the program......ask a number of Aston martin Vanquish owners whether they acknowledge that 75% of their vehicle was engineered by Lotus. I'll bet not many AMV owners even KNOW that the percentage was so high if at all. Also, how many people acknowledge that pretty much most of the chassis designs for Astons that have followed the AM Vanquish have been based on the structures designed by Lotus used on the Vanquish. Funny, you don't see Aston Martin talking about that too much now do you...at least we at Tesla acknowledge the invaluable input of Lotus.

Let's all just be happy that at least we live in a world where fun, exciting, exhilarating sports cars are allowed.....regardless of whether they have an exhaust or not! There are plenty of other people to dislike in this world....likeminded sports car enthusiast shouldn't be included. I have seen both sides of the fence and I love both Lotus and Tesla for prodcing exciting cars in a world full of anonymous Euro-boxes.
Phew, what a first post!
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM

I have a couple of friends who work/worked there, and there are at least 6 of them parked in the lot downstairs (compared to only one other Lotus that I've seen). I'd consider us cousins, with the usual family rivalries. At the end of the day, we're all driving low-slung, good-looking, rear wheel drive, great handling, fast sports cars, right?

2007 Aspen White Exige S
Track, Touring, LSD
Golden Gate Lotus Club #979
Larini SC Sport, R888, black badges, red folding tow hook
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
Phew, what a first post!

Good one though.

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics75218 View Post
I've been seeing a lot of these UGLY little buggers around town here in Los Angeles. Are we supposed to be friends...they look at me as if we are brothers.

But I don't think I like it..I know I don't like the Tesla...I know we share a chassis...but is that enough?
A Tesla owner and I wave at each other every morning on the way to work.

They are built by Lotus.

You better believe we are friends.

At the L.A. Auto Show a while back, the Tesla people asked me as a Lotus owner, where to put their fix-a-flat containers.

By the way, most Lotus owners are driving their cars far too fast to notice anything around them, much less other cars.
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
pwe

I finally had the opportunity to wave to a Tesla driver while driving the Exige.

He didn't wave back.

2006 Lotus Exige (Schroth harnesses, Larini 8", SS brake lines, Ultradiscs, Pagid pads, Nitrons, RTD brace, Titan steering rack, R888s, Braille battery, Bollock, desnorkle, AVIC-N3, etc.)
2001 Mustang GT (full exhaust, coilovers, control arms, Konis, 6 pt. roll bar, shifter, big brakes, subframes, torque arm, panhard bar, Sparco seat, BFG KDW2s, 3.73 gears, etc. 250rwhp 280ft/lbs)
2006 VW GTi Mk5 (SS brake lines, Hawk pads, Pilot Sport PS2s)
2005 Mercedes-Benz C230K (hers, gone )
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM

They don't wave back because they're too busy watching the gas gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in