WTB: 2007-2008 Exige - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Motard
  • 1 Post By bbursey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi folks -

I'm looking for a 2007 or 2008 Exige with traction control and LSD optioned; touring package would be a nice-to-have, but not required. My preference would be low miles (<20,000) with maintenance records and excellent condition (no floor damage, no clam cracks, paint that can be adequately detailed, interior bits in good order / no tears / cracks, no / minimal scrapes under splitter) to appease my OCD tendencies. That said, I'm planning to drive the car on weekends and the occasional track day, so not looking for a collectible.

Thanks in advance - I'll look forward to joining the community when the right car shows up!

Cheers,
Bryan

Last edited by bbursey; 08-24-2019 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added some specifics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Lotus Technician

Nice Isotope Green 2008 S240 2008 Lotus Exige S 240

T.J.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaszak! View Post
Nice Isotope Green 2008 S240 2008 Lotus Exige S 240

T.J.
Thanks T.J.

I’d come across that one in my searching and have contacted via the website. I think I got a call back, but since I’m traveling overseas at the moment, I haven’t been able to follow-up.

Would you mind if I asked a few technical questions via email or PM (e.g. does it have an LSD? have the cams been inspected?). My email address is Bursey Bryan at gmail com.

Thanks,
Bryan

--
Bryan Bursey
UnderbiteRacing.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Addict

Garage
Couple things.

1. The traction control between 07 and 08 are different, not sure if that matters to you or not.
2. If you find this low mileage car in that condition do not track it. Once you hit the track you’ll end up with plenty of imperfections unless you wrap the car in layers of film/tape/bubble wrap. If you do really plan to put some miles on the car and track it I think you’ll enjoy it a bit more if it doesn’t start your ownership in mint condition. I know you said you’re not looking for a collectible, but at 12 years old that condition is borderline collectible for these cars, or at least commanding top dollar.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Couple things.

1. The traction control between 07 and 08 are different, not sure if that matters to you or not.
2. If you find this low mileage car in that condition do not track it. Once you hit the track you’ll end up with plenty of imperfections unless you wrap the car in layers of film/tape/bubble wrap. If you do really plan to put some miles on the car and track it I think you’ll enjoy it a bit more if it doesn’t start your ownership in mint condition. I know you said you’re not looking for a collectible, but at 12 years old that condition is borderline collectible for these cars, or at least commanding top dollar.
Thanks for your feedback.

I didn’t appreciate the different in traction control - I’ll have to do more research. The years 2007 and 2008 mean it will be 15 years old when I expect to move back to Canada, and 15 years is the age at which a car like this can be imported.

On your second point, I recognize that it appears fairly contradictory and I’m having a hard time squaring myself what I really want. I’m tending towards lower mileage / better condition to satisfy my OCD and knowing I’ll enjoy washing / maintaining more in that case. I’d expect to track it just enjoy to get to know the car.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,
Bryan

--
Bryan Bursey
UnderbiteRacing.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 PM
The Enforcer

You should do more research (seriously). Your lack of knowledge will make your purchase more costly. Research twice (or more) and purchase once.

Lower mileage doesn't mean a car is in better condition. Even the owner's manual encourages driving the car. Do your really want a car that's been mostly parked?

The vast majority of Exige models don't have the LSD option. It only became an option because autocrossers wanted it and Lotus making it availabe allowed the owners to race their car in certain classes. Unless you're autocrossing, there is some debate as to whether it's actually a benefit.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...2/#post4989090

Beware of ads stating LSD. Insist on a picture of the transmission from above. The third character will be "O" or "L" (open or limited slip).
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...0/#post5877582

Given the small number of Exige models, you're doing yourself a disservice by being particular. It's better to be open to the vehicles available and then adding what you deem is important. Again, you should do more research.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
You should do more research (seriously). Your lack of knowledge will make your purchase more costly. Research twice (or more) and purchase once.

Lower mileage doesn't mean a car is in better condition. Even the owner's manual encourages driving the car. Do your really want a car that's been mostly parked?

The vast majority of Exige models don't have the LSD option. It only became an option because autocrossers wanted it and Lotus making it availabe allowed the owners to race their car in certain classes. Unless you're autocrossing, there is some debate as to whether it's actually a benefit.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...2/#post4989090

Beware of ads stating LSD. Insist on a picture of the transmission from above. The third character will be "O" or "L" (open or limited slip).
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...0/#post5877582

Given the small number of Exige models, you're doing yourself a disservice by being particular. It's better to be open to the vehicles available and then adding what you deem is important. Again, you should do more research.

San
Hi San -

I appreciate the constructive criticism and will attempt to curb my enthusiasm while continuing to come up the learning curve.

Cheers,
Bryan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Garage
Don't "curb your enthusiasm" man.

These cars are toys. They evoke passion. You can find EXACTLY what your looking for! Maybe it will take more work, or more money, or change your criteria, but anyway. Please don't let the tone deafness of others impact your mindset.
Twaszak! and bbursey like this.

L O T U S
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:16 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
Don't "curb your enthusiasm" man.

These cars are toys. They evoke passion. You can find EXACTLY what your looking for! Maybe it will take more work, or more money, or change your criteria, but anyway. Please don't let the tone deafness of others impact your mindset.
I agree, don't curb your enthusiasm. Just make sure you know the differences in the different Exige models so you get what you want.

I've been helping another member here with his search for an Exige and although he thought he knew the differences, he was quite surprised when we discussed it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it further.

As for the implication of being "tone deaf", I know Motard isn't a sound engineer or a doctor, as it would be on his resume (which I wrote for him). Don't tell anyone, but he's really one of the "Men in Black". His Jaguar is powered by alien technology and he hides all of the special blasters and ray guns under the ginourmous hood.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 PM

Garage
I wish those special alien powers would magically fix my brakes on that Jaguar.

I have a future announcement on my Exige. I won't know either way for a few months....

Until that time, I will just continue to throw life essence (Money, Time) into that beautiful Black V12 moneypit...

L O T U S
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
San / Motard - Thanks for the feedback gents! It'll be a journey to figure out what I want and then go find it.

Motard - Keep me in mind if / when you start to write a 'for sale' post for your car.

Cheers,
Bryan
Motard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in