WTB: Elise <20k mi - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lake Barrington, IL
Posts: 15
WTB: Elise <20k mi

After lusting after them since they came out, finally decided to pull the trigger on an Elise. I’m regularly checking this site and scouring the interweb for the right one, but thought I would try posting in this section, too.

The wants are as follows, all are negotiable:

-must be ~20k miles or less
-not interested in black or silver
-orange/krypton green are top choice
-limited/no track use
-hard top
-limited or no mods (upgraded exhaust alright)
-<20k miles as the title suggests

I’m in the Chicago area, but wholly open to buying one anywhere! I’m not spiritual but in case you are, endless good karma(or whatever you’re into) for helping me find my Elise!

Thanks and look forward to being a proper member(I.e. one with a lotus) here soon,

Max

Last edited by oldmansan; 03-17-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: OP can't edit anymore (past date limit) so I'm editing for OP
Chicagomax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
After lusting after them since they came out, finally decided to pull the trigger on an Elise. Iím regularly checking this site and scouring the interweb for the right one, but thought I would try posting in this section, too.

The wants are as follows, all are negotiable and looking for high $20ís (or low $30ís for one that matches some key categories below):

-must be ~20k miles or less
-not interested in black or silver
-orange/krypton green are top choice
-limited/no track use
-hard top
-limited or no mods (upgraded exhaust alright)
-<20k miles as the title suggests

Iím in the Chicago area, but wholly open to buying one anywhere! Iím not spiritual but in case you are, endless good karma(or whatever youíre into) for helping me find my Elise!

Thanks and look forward to being a proper member(I.e. one with a lotus) here soon,

Max
For the low mileage, you'll likely have to adjust your budget upwards.
rustyb likes this.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
 
XtinctElise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,222
I think an Elise that fits your requirements would sell in a second. Expect to pay more, since you have specific desires, I am sure you already knew that. Nice first post. Good Luck

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
XtinctElise is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lake Barrington, IL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
After lusting after them since they came out, finally decided to pull the trigger on an Elise. Iím regularly checking this site and scouring the interweb for the right one, but thought I would try posting in this section, too.

The wants are as follows, all are negotiable:

-must be ~20k miles or less
-not interested in black or silver
-orange/krypton green are top choice
-limited/no track use
-hard top
-limited or no mods (upgraded exhaust alright)
-<20k miles as the title suggests

Iím in the Chicago area, but wholly open to buying one anywhere! Iím not spiritual but in case you are, endless good karma(or whatever youíre into) for helping me find my Elise!

Thanks and look forward to being a proper member(I.e. one with a lotus) here soon,

Max
Bump with price removed! Come on folks: Let me give you a jump start on spring cleaning by getting that brightly colored, low miled, babied and loved elise out of your way
Chicagomax is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Registered User
 
Nateselise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
Have the exact car just listed KG with 20k miles no mods garage toy, touring and sport package with traction control. It’s a 2007
Nateselise is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:43 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
Bump with price removed! Come on folks: Let me give you a jump start on spring cleaning by getting that brightly colored, low miled, babied and loved elise out of your way
You didn't edit your original post, which still has your budget defined in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateselise View Post
Have the exact car just listed KG with 20k miles no mods garage toy, touring and sport package with traction control. Itís a 2007
If you look at his original post, you'll see you two are in very different price neighborhoods.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lake Barrington, IL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
You didn't edit your original post, which still has your budget defined in it.



If you look at his original post, you'll see you two are in very different price neighborhoods.


San

Thanks San, but I donít see am edit button for my original post. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateselise View Post
Have the exact car just listed KG with 20k miles no mods garage toy, touring and sport package with traction control. Itís a 2007
Yes you do! We actually spoke on the phone a few weeks back when you listed it elsewhere and unfortunately it is outside of my ďprice neighborhoodĒ, as San put it.

To all who are in the $40ís range for an elise, this seller was super friendly on the phone(even once he knew I wasnít a buyer), which is always a good sign. With that said, I have dibs on this car once the seller enters my price range
Chicagomax is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Registered User
 
Nateselise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
Oh cool didn’t connect you were the same Max - hope you find the exact one. If you go to the original post and click the box to the right it will turn yellow. Then look at the task bar up top for a pencil and it will allow you to edit the post. Hope this helps
Nateselise is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
Thanks San, but I don’t see am edit button for my original post. Am I missing something?
Sorry, I didn't look at date of the original post. You're only able to edit your own thread for a certain amount of time, and you're past that. I've taken the liberty to edit your original post to remove the budget portion.

If you'd like some feedback concerning your search, PM me.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:10 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateselise View Post
Oh cool didnít connect you were the same Max - hope you find the exact one. If you go to the original post and click the box to the right it will turn yellow. Then look at the task bar up top for a pencil and it will allow you to edit the post. Hope this helps
There's a time limit, so I've edited the post for the OP. Thanks for lending a helping hand.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Supporting Vendor
 
shinoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 3,964
We have a nice CO Elise - but lacks a hardtop. It was owned by one of the original Moderators on this forum. Call to discuss (951)296-6762

See the car : HERE

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
shinoo is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lake Barrington, IL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
We have a nice CO Elise - but lacks a hardtop. It was owned by one of the original Moderators on this forum. Call to discuss (951)296-6762

See the car : HERE
Thanks, Shinoo. That is a beautiful elise, but i am looking for one with a hardtop and maybe a bit less ďdearĒ as the British say
Chicagomax is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Supporting Vendor
 
shinoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
Thanks, Shinoo. That is a beautiful elise, but i am looking for one with a hardtop and maybe a bit less ďdearĒ as the British say
Good luck, with patience, you will find your car. I would not place too much importance on the hardtop if all the other criteria are met.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
shinoo is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1
05 Elise, Nightfall Blue, Stage 2, exhaust,no hardtop, 9000 miles , $ 39000 firm - Chicago
HBenn is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lake Barrington, IL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBenn View Post
05 Elise, Nightfall Blue, Stage 2, exhaust,no hardtop, 9000 miles , $ 39000 firm - Chicago
Thanks so much for reaching out, HBenn, but really looking for a bright color. Yours sounds like a grear car, good luck!
Chicagomax is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Registered User
 
gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,415
Holy hell. After seeing these prices I'm scared to take my 14k mile Elise out driving. I should just buy a rebuilt/salvage second one to actually drive.

Good luck OP, you're going to need it.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
gray is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lake Barrington, IL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
Holy hell. After seeing these prices I'm scared to take my 14k mile Elise out driving. I should just buy a rebuilt/salvage second one to actually drive.

Good luck OP, you're going to need it.
Ok, so itís not just me! I was drawn to the elise because I felt like: what other car in the upper $20ís can compare. I can justify moving into the 30ís for the ďrightĒ elise for me, but anything higher than that just feels like exige territory.

I have to say, there does seem to be a gap between what sellers are asking, versus what buyers are paying. Now been a serious buyer for about 5 months now and have to admit Iíve gotten to the point where I am asking myself if I should broaden my search to cars beyond the elise....but then I look at them and think about what it must be like to own one, and continue the search!
Chicagomax is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Registered User
 
Entropy240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chi-town suburbs
Posts: 29
Garage
I would encourage you to be patient and keep looking. It took me months to locate and purchase the car I ended up getting, and it was worth the wait. These are amazing cars and for the money I don't think the experience can be duplicated.
Chicagomax likes this.
Entropy240 is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
Ok, so itís not just me! I was drawn to the elise because I felt like: what other car in the upper $20ís can compare. I can justify moving into the 30ís for the ďrightĒ elise for me, but anything higher than that just feels like exige territory.

I have to say, there does seem to be a gap between what sellers are asking, versus what buyers are paying. Now been a serious buyer for about 5 months now and have to admit Iíve gotten to the point where I am asking myself if I should broaden my search to cars beyond the elise....but then I look at them and think about what it must be like to own one, and continue the search!
No, it is just you, as you're still talking about upper $20's, for a car with less than 20K miles, hard top, limited/no track use and only the bright colors. Sorry, but that is just unrealistic. A clean Elise with the miles, colors, hardtop, unmolested and previous use you're demanding is going to command ~$35K, especially this time of year. That's just the way it is.

This isn't a for sale thread, so members are free to comment on the cars listed here. I'll just say the prices of the cars listed in this thread have been optimistic. That said it's the time of the year when these cars are very sought after.

You are nowhere close to Exige territory. Period. Minimum is 40's and if you add any of your conditions to it you're going to get to high 40's/50's quickly.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but if you want an Elige, you need to understand the price of admission.

Despite you saying you've been a serious buyer for 5 months, I don't think you have been. If you're considering another car because you feel the price of admission for an Elige is too high, you should pursue them. Unless you are going to modify your requirements, I'd suggest you don't drive an Elige. Other cars will feel more inadequate than before you drove the Elige. I'm being very serious.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue an Elige. I'm saying you've posted unrealistic expectations, and the market commands more than you've decided you should have to pay. I really do hope this helps, no matter what you decide to buy. Good luck.

San
Ironmatt and O LEE O like this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:53 AM
Registered User
 
gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
Ok, so it’s not just me! I was drawn to the elise because I felt like: what other car in the upper $20’s can compare. I can justify moving into the 30’s for the “right” elise for me, but anything higher than that just feels like exige territory.

I have to say, there does seem to be a gap between what sellers are asking, versus what buyers are paying. Now been a serious buyer for about 5 months now and have to admit I’ve gotten to the point where I am asking if I should broaden my search to cars beyond the elise....but then I look at them and think about what it must be like to own one, and continue the search!
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "it's not just you". I'm not a Doug DeMuro reader/watcher, but a member here a few years ago was. His takeaway quote was that no matter the mileage, an Elise was going to be a $36k car.

All that said, a clean Elise is pretty much never going to show up in the 20s because on three major factors.

1. Inflation
2. The lowest unemployment in at least a decade
3. The fact that there are only ~7000 in the US, and that number of surviving cars drops every year

The inflation in used sports car pricing can't be ignored and you are going to have to either adjust your expectations or pony up more cash. To illustrate; years ago, I picked up the Elise while car shopping for an S2000. I drove a blue 2003 AP1 with 38k miles selling for $12,700 (and that was considered a little steep). A few days ago, I saw pretty much the same car with 75,000 miles and the ask was $16k. I won't even start about the price increases for the old NSX or air-cooled 911s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
You are nowhere close to Exige territory. Period. Minimum is 40's and if you add any of your conditions to it you're going to get to high 40's/50's quickly.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but if you want an Elige, you need to understand the price of admission.

Despite you saying you've been a serious buyer for 5 months, I don't think you have been. If you're considering another car because you feel the price of admission for an Elige is too high, you should pursue them. Unless you are going to modify your requirements, I'd suggest you don't drive an Elige. Other cars will feel more inadequate than before you drove the Elige. I'm being very serious.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue an Elige. I'm saying you've posted unrealistic expectations, and the market commands more than you've decided you should have to pay. I really do hope this helps, no matter what you decide to buy. Good luck.

San
I broadly agree with you, but there are a few instances where an Exige can be had in the 30s. As a matter of gaining some perspective, the one I'm thinking of (did not show up here or any Lotus board that I've seen) required substantial mechanical work and the trunk needed to be re-fiberglassed because of substantial battery acid damage.

I also feel like I should include a joke about how the gist of what you posted is also decent dating advice.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
gray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars Wanted

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome