WTB: Elise <20k mi - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Wow- really seem to have struck a nerve with my last post! As I implied(or meant to imply) in my 2nd post of the thread, which was unfortunately too long after my initial post to edit my original price, I’m totally willing to go into the 30’s- even mid 30’s- for the elise described in my initial post. I think that’s a fare price for both buyer and seller based on what cars have actually sold for (for reference, see: elise page on bring a trailer). Just can’t justify 40’s for an elise, unless it’s a 2011, an sc, or maybe some other kind of limited edition, which is not what I’m looking for.

I’m not ready to give up on an elise, I just hate the feeling of having to wait for the right one to come up on someplace like bring a trailer(or similar) where reserves/expectations are less optimistic and more realistic.

Hopefully this is not controversial and makes sense to both buyers and sellers in this market.

Lastly and most importantly: dating advice comment is hilarious.

In any case, thanks all for the back and forth; even if I don’t have an elise at the moment, at least I’m able to talk about them now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "it's not just you". I'm not a Doug DeMuro reader/watcher, but a member here a few years ago was. His takeaway quote was that no matter the mileage, an Elise was going to be a $36k car.
I wouldn't be too surprised if in the future values start to climb like nearly every Porsche, Ferrari, etc has seen lately. The elige platform is the last of its kind being one of the most pure sportscars on the market, its easy to work on, and very limited numbers were brought into the US. I honestly feel that the only reason the $35k number still holds true is that everyone treats $35k as a rule.

Frankly, I don't plan on selling my car because I will never find anything as unique, pure, and easy/cheap to maintain!

I guess time will tell.

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "it's not just you". I'm not a Doug DeMuro reader/watcher, but a member here a few years ago was. His takeaway quote was that no matter the mileage, an Elise was going to be a $36k car.

All that said, a clean Elise is pretty much never going to show up in the 20s because on three major factors.

1. Inflation
2. The lowest unemployment in at least a decade
3. The fact that there are only ~7000 in the US, and that number of surviving cars drops every year

The inflation in used sports car pricing can't be ignored and you are going to have to either adjust your expectations or pony up more cash. To illustrate; years ago, I picked up the Elise while car shopping for an S2000. I drove a blue 2003 AP1 with 38k miles selling for $12,700 (and that was considered a little steep). A few days ago, I saw pretty much the same car with 75,000 miles and the ask was $16k. I won't even start about the price increases for the old NSX or air-cooled 911s.
I agree with the portion addressing the Elise, and also the old NSX and air-cooled 911s. The rest I haven't looked at personally.

Quote:
I broadly agree with you, but there are a few instances where an Exige can be had in the 30s. As a matter of gaining some perspective, the one I'm thinking of (did not show up here or any Lotus board that I've seen) required substantial mechanical work and the trunk needed to be re-fiberglassed because of substantial battery acid damage.

I also feel like I should include a joke about how the gist of what you posted is also decent dating advice.
I should have elaborated about the Exige condition, but I just wanted to express that 30's wasn't Exige territory. The same exception for the Exige applies to the Elise, and that's given a crappy enough Elise/Exige, they can be had for 20's and 30's respectively.

Let's hear the joke.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:28 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagomax View Post
Wow- really seem to have struck a nerve with my last post! As I implied(or meant to imply) in my 2nd post of the thread, which was unfortunately too long after my initial post to edit my original price, Iím totally willing to go into the 30ís- even mid 30ís- for the elise described in my initial post. I think thatís a fare price for both buyer and seller based on what cars have actually sold for (for reference, see: elise page on bring a trailer). Just canít justify 40ís for an elise, unless itís a 2011, an sc, or maybe some other kind of limited edition, which is not what Iím looking for.

Iím not ready to give up on an elise, I just hate the feeling of having to wait for the right one to come up on someplace like bring a trailer(or similar) where reserves/expectations are less optimistic and more realistic.

Hopefully this is not controversial and makes sense to both buyers and sellers in this market.

Lastly and most importantly: dating advice comment is hilarious.

In any case, thanks all for the back and forth; even if I donít have an elise at the moment, at least Iím able to talk about them now!
I wouldn't read anything into my post. You have placed conditions on the Elise you're looking for, and those require more money than the ordinary Elise for sale. You can settle for something outside of your conditions, pay more for something that adheres to your conditions, or go in a different direction. I wouldn't advise 40's for an Elise, but I'm not one who thinks the small supercharger (with no intercooler) from the factory is worth the extra money. I'd buy a NA Elise and put a proper SC on it. Just me.

Less optimistic and more realistic are terms that apply to both the buyer and seller. You seem to think they only apply to the seller. The cars posted in this thread aside, I think the Elise you're looking for given the parameters you've set is mid 30's. Just my opinion.

San
Ironmatt likes this.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Let's hear the joke.
There's a pretty amusing meme with a picture of a sack of dirt and typical insane Tinder dating requirements that I can't find right now. I haven't seen such a succinct meme about insane male dating requirements, but I think that the quantity of examples far far exceeds quality in that case.

Since I'm making jokes about bad dating practices, I have to include this classic:

Cashapp me $5 and see what happens!*

* Disclaimer: this is a joke and I am not actually soliciting money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Less optimistic and more realistic are terms that apply to both the buyer and seller. You seem to think they only apply to the seller. The cars posted in this thread aside, I think the Elise you're looking for given the parameters you've set is mid 30's. Just my opinion.
I feel like online sales have brought out all the insane and irrational people.

Typical insane Craigslist/other online marketplace transaction:

Seller posting:

[picture of common, 20-year-old sports car that sold in very large quantities with serious paint and probably body damage that sold new for $40k inflation-adjusted]

RARE [whatever car], only 300,000 miles.
asking $52,000.
only needs minor repairs! my mechanical guys says replacing the front end is ez work and only $20 in parts.
NO LOW BALLERS NO TIME WASTERS!!!! I KNOW WHAT I GOT!!!!

Buyer inquiries:

#1. iz ur Ferari still avalabble? i can trade u my PS2 + $200 CASH 4 it.

#2: I'm intersted in your Ferrari! I can only pay you $15,000 even though you're asking $240,000, but I think that fair since it only has two seats and I won't be able to carry my entire family in it. Since I'm paying so much, I think it's fair you ship it to me in [city across the country]. COVERED TRAILER ONLY!

#3: Dude that's a sick Ferrari and I'm interested in buying it! I'm stuck out of the country so my bro is going to come to you with a check for 20% and you can give me a routing and account number so I can wire you the rest when I get the car and I'm satisfied with such a sick car!

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff

Last edited by gray; 03-24-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM

To the OP: San speaks plain unvarnished truth, mostly without regards to feelings. Don't take it personally, because it isn't personal.

For myself, and I suspect many owners, these cars have "value" outside of pure monetary compensation. As others have alluded to, its very possible we might never see cars like this made/sold in this country again. The pure driving experience of the car is worth more than the component costs. My Exige is worth every penny of 50k to *me* regardless of what a book or a crowd of internet experts thinks.

If you're patient and flexible, I suspect you will find a car that meets 80% of your criteria; I stalked an Exige for 13 months before I settled on mine. Best of luck finding one that fits your budget/criteria though!

-Matt

2008 Exige S240
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmatt View Post
To the OP: San speaks plain unvarnished truth, mostly without regards to feelings. Don't take it personally, because it isn't personal.
A big thank you for that. I'm sure it came across differently, but I really was trying to be helpful. You're absolutely right, it wasn't/isn't personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmatt View Post
For myself, and I suspect many owners, these cars have "value" outside of pure monetary compensation. As others have alluded to, its very possible we might never see cars like this made/sold in this country again. The pure driving experience of the car is worth more than the component costs. My Exige is worth every penny of 50k to *me* regardless of what a book or a crowd of internet experts thinks.

If you're patient and flexible, I suspect you will find a car that meets 80% of your criteria; I stalked an Exige for 13 months before I settled on mine. Best of luck finding one that fits your budget/criteria though!

-Matt
This is the time of year when sellers have the advantage. If the OP can be patient, he stands a much better chance of aquiring what he wants at a better price point. If he insists on doing this soon, he'll probably pay more.

I feel the same about my Exige, and I haven't driven it in months. It's stuck in the back of my garage, behind all of my motorcycles. When I decide to sell it, life as I know it is probably over.

San

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in