Carbon Motors - Police Car - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollum View Post
I stopped by again on my way out of work, and asked the rep if he could talk about the engine source. He said no, because it had not been finalized. He repeatedly mentioned it was a turbo diesel, and claimed zero-to-sixty in something like 6.5 seconds.

Some interesting features - the front seats had cutaways at the midsection, to make room for the gunbelt. The doors opened wide - suicide doors at back. He claimed that the hinge was an important feature, very strong, and allows a very wide opening for suspects going in the back. Rear seats were solid molded plastic, with shapes molded in for cuffed arms behind the back.

He did say it was an aluminum frame - maybe VVA from Lotus?

Even with the nice ideas, what police force can afford to buy a vehicle that doesn't have all parts available from a garden-variety dealer, anywhere?
lol, not much LUMBAR SUPPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:14 PM

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM

being built in Connersville, Indiana...engine is a 300hp turbo diesel sourced from BMW. A Local paper to me had a decent sized blurb on this car, and what it will mean in terms of jobs in Connersville and the surrounding area if it is successful. Only thing i don't get is why they would source a foreign powerplant when diesel engines are already fairly prevalent in the states.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM

BMW diesels are among the best and cleanest available, run forever, and have more HP per liter than anything built in the US. Plus the parts are available readily. I heard BMW is selling 250,000 motors to the Connersville plant.

Pretty cool, the police deserve a safe, fast and clean running car. This thing takes a 75mph collison from the rear and keeps on going. It is designed to operate for 250,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoreo View Post
being built in Connersville, Indiana...engine is a 300hp turbo diesel sourced from BMW. A Local paper to me had a decent sized blurb on this car, and what it will mean in terms of jobs in Connersville and the surrounding area if it is successful. Only thing i don't get is why they would source a foreign powerplant when diesel engines are already fairly prevalent in the states.

2013 Porsche Boxster (in silver and red, home at last!)
2011 BMW 128i cabrio, ///M Sport
2005 Elise in Racing Green with the touring pack (sold 8/6/12)
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM

I took the opportunity to visit with the company folks and sit in the car for a touchy feely when they brought it to Savannah, it is a great concept but they will never be able to make price point to complete with Dodge/Ford.

The new 2012 Ford Interceptor based on the Taurus/500 vehicle will be a serious contender for most agency purchase orders. If you have not taken a look at it the thing makes serious power from its V6

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in