Fiat to Introduce Elise-based Abarth in 2010 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
def

Why did they pick a an extremely bland, front engined fiat to "provide clues as to what it may look like"

V10 R8 · Noble M400 · GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Didint seem to be a very "reliable" source. I'll take my info from R&T or Car and driver. Not so much from "some asian kids blog."

2005 KG Lotus Elise HT , Ohlins, CF seat, Schroth harnesses, fire system, elec killswitch, Black SSR's, HID's, driving lights, and Russel Carr's signature(bet yours doesn't have that), more to come soon!!! Now burt to the ground.
01 BMW M5, 02 BMW M3 :sold:, 02 Camaro Z28, 02 Silverado 2500 HD 8.1L, 98 BMW 740il, 76 BMW 535iR,70 Chevelle, 03 TL1000R

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM

The site in the link is a major site run by some of the old editors from your reliable listed sources.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:08 PM
JnC

Autocar was running an update on that story today. Of course, what's interesting is to hear details on the next Elise.

Quote:
Autocar has learned that Fiat’s reborn Abarth division has struck a secret deal with Lotus to use the next Elise to underpin its first stand-alone sports car in more than 30 years, sources have revealed.
The project has been planned to hit European streets in 2011 and will give Abarth a light-weight two-seater to give a halo model to its existing Grande Punto- and Cinquecento-based sports models.
Besides having unique styling, it will also differ from the English sports cars by using the Fiat Group’s new-generation of turbo-charged, direct-injection, air-valve four-cylinder engines, which promise high torque, high power and low emissions.
While Fiat executives have been coy on the stand-alone Abarth model, sources insist the project is already deep in development between Hethel’s engineering division and Torino.
Understood to use the highest power output version of Fiat’s revolutionary new air-head engines, the mid-engined, aluminium Abarth flyer will have more than 240 horsepower from its turbocharged, direct-injection four-cylinder engine. And all in a package weighing around 900kg.
At the recent Cinquecento Abarth launch, Abarth CEO Luca de Meo admitted he dreamed of a stand-alone Abarth but denied there were firm plans to produce one.
“Maybe one day we can develop a model that is just an Abarth for Abarth,” he said.
“We might have this one day, but we don’t have the in-house resources to do that today.”
But sources insist Abarth has short-cutted its lack of in-house resources by enlisting Lotus Engineering’s help to short cut the cost, time and complexity of developing a new chassis. It will use an almost-identical version of the Elise’s chassis.
Slightly wider and longer than the existing Elise chassis, the new architecture will arrive in the Elise first in 2010, then in the Abarth less than a year later.
Lotus previously flirted with the idea of using the Elise’s chassis to underpin another bespoke sportscar, the Pininfarina Enjoy, but no partner could be found to bring it to market.

Autoblog has an Abarth concept drawing that's rather hideous. Reminds me of a 'possum.

2007 Cross Country Travelblog
11 Lotus Elise Final Edition :: Chrome Orange
16 Honda CR-Z EX
76 Porsche 912E
95 Porsche 911
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Abe

Call me crazy but I like it ..........crazy.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 PM
JWA

I kind of like it too. But, wasn't the Elise supposed to come after the Esprit? Now that the Esprit is pushed back to 2011, wouldn't that push the Elise replacement back too?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM

maybe the S3 elise is a "quick and easy R&d" same drive train, VVA proven platform parts, some evora interior stuff, a tweaked 2/11 shell - and boom, S3 elise could be developed concurrently withthe new esprit and perhaps beat it to market - just all guessing though?!?!

for sure the new elise will be VVA though it seems

and i suspect they will keep the body work under tight wraps

i have no reason to think they would change drivetrain? unless "the deal" changes - 2zz goes away, better partner comes along, other yota 4 like the 2.4 maybe? who knows? but if its the same drive train the whole rear would be carry over and i would think that a big time chunk in development.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
i have no reason to think they would change drivetrain? unless "the deal" changes - 2zz goes away, better partner comes along, other yota 4 like the 2.4 maybe? who knows?
...how many aluminum engines are in production for lotus to source?..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
LotusRaceShop.com

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/225882/abarth_elise_turns_up_the_he

Abarth ‘Elise’ turns up the heat | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
Attached Images

Robert Dietsch
Dietsch Werks
Bay Area
[email protected]
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Love it!

'06 BMW X5 - IMOLA RED
'06 Porsche 911 Carrera S - CARRERA WHITE [SOLD]
'02 BMW 325xiT - TOPAZ BLUE
'88 BMW M5 - BLACK [SOLD]
'02 Ducati 998S Bayliss - RED, WHITE & GREEN
'06 Lotus Exige - ARDENT RED [TRADED]
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Looks like a mutant clone between a Ford Thunderbird, Mazda Miata, and Volkswagen Eos.. So gay.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM

is that another "larsen" photoshop - that guy is such a goober! i see his crud in r&t all the time - with all the talent out in the world how does he get published? ...um.... unless he/she is reading this, then um.... congrats!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Just back from LOG 28.

At the banquet Lotus confirmed 3 new cars in the works: Evora, Esprit and one unnamed which would be the S3 Elise.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM

i am still sticking to my bet since they first released photos of the 2/11 way back when, it is the precurser to the S3.... there are elements in the 2/11 styling that have no business being there except on a elise like car. (windshield, rear grills, door elements etc...) of course i will be utterly humilated when proven wrong!

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 AM

Looks Like Alfa may get a version as well!

Alfa planning to revive Duetto | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

I find this very interesting since BMW and Fiat just entered an agreement to share platforms and technology. This means they passed on the Z4 platform in favor of the VVA for the new roadster.

The S3 will have a different drivetrain because the current one is out of production in 2010.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 AM

paint it red = baby ferrari

but i'll still buy a lotus

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Should be an exciting car. I can't wait to see the prototypes.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 AM

1.4L non-Japanese motor? Poopy.

NOTFWD.com (NOT Front Wheel Drive)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
......Go backwards. Go back to a time when there were no Manettinos, no ASR, no power steering, no lifeless video game-like shift paddles, no buttery smooth manual gearboxes, no featherweight clutches, no functional air conditioning.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in