I need answers.. Henessey venom record - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

also... where is the driver airbag? isnt is supposed to have that for a manufacturer to sell a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

and someting about a smart airbag for the passenger? thats why new exige arent sold and pagani and koniggsegg havent sold any cars in the us yet?
if its a 2013-14 hennessey venom gt then it should follow the same rules. right?

UNLESS, he sells a used 2007 exige, then it doesnt apply. right?
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 PM

There's a Hennessey Venom for sale in Bulgaria for $500k...

2011 Hennessey Venom GT for Sale - 1579482 - duPontREGISTRY.com

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

I need answers.. Henessey venom record

That's incredible 1 million dollar depreciation!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 AM

Look at the amazing interior on the for sale car. If that does scream 'bespoke custom ground up engineering' it don't know what does!!!

Now compare that to the Koenissegg interior developments/manufacture detailed in the drive video

And great point about airbag = production
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 AM

There is a TON of mystery surrounding exactly what is being done (if anything) to allow Hennessey to claim "production car" status. I personally am very skeptical and I believe if he is truly able to sell it with a new VIN or something then it is being registered more as something like a kit car. I highly doubt he actually has taken this thing through the NHTSA regulations and testing as well as EPA testing.

So reality is none of us know exactly how this thing is titled.

As aside some of the work looks pretty good (as it should be for the price tag) at least from pictures/video. Other things are missing at this price like interior work, etc. Regardless of what the VIN says this car really feels like its a very well done "tuner car" with an obscene price tag.

440bhp E85 2006 Solar Yellow Elise.
The way it should have been delivered from the factory with Honda Power!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I need answers.. Henessey venom record

Car is cool done get me wrong. It's nothing new a lot if people build crazy cars my issue is with the facts of being a manufacture. The cars have been sold mostly overseas and I think that has something to do with it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM

The NHTSA of the US of A requires anyone who would be likely to put a "new VIN" on a vehicle to be registered as a manufacturer. Ruf is on this list along with everyone from Alfa to trailer and golf cart manufacturers, Hennessey is not. While some states have regs that define manufacturers, these are mostly geared toward rebuilders and conversion vans. Many DMVs won't care what name is on the title as long as it has a legal 17-character VIN. The car's certainly a powertrain tour de force. Sadly, though, in defeating many of the FMVSS regs to make it look like a racecar, he's made it significantly more dangerous to occupy in a crash. This is not a car that any "Dietrich" will be able to run away from.

Eric H.
'77 Esprit S1 "project"/'94 RX-7 R2/'00 RC51/'16 Focus RS
?? '10 (or maybe '11, or maybe hybrid, maybe '12, maybe '13...maybe '20) Esprit
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow99s View Post
You don't understand. It DOES GET A NEW TITLE AND VIN, the end. I asked John Hennesey in person face to face so there 'ya go.
He also states on video, that it's a bespoke engine that they make themselves.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM

The record attempt and media hype is an insult to cars like the F40, McLaren F1, Veyron, etc. I think there should be qualifications other than production count and street legality, like maybe designing the chassis? Crazy I know. But I'm sure there's cub scouts who won their pinewood derby having started with the block that comes already shaped.

In my opinion it's essentially a rebranded hotrod with a sales technicality and a get rich(er) quick scheme. Butt you know what they say about opinions.

It doesn't hold a record according to this: List of fastest production cars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who made these people recordkeepers anyways?
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:32 AM

A question about records is "who's records book do you look at"?

Wikipedia is one answer, and Guinness is another.
It's not on either of those lists for one reason or another.

Hmm...
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Right. I should rephrase my last sentence to: "What makes anyone the recordkeeper anyways?"
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Boy is there a lot of wrong information in this thread.

First of all, Hennessey does not hold a Guinness record for production car top speed. They made up their own record. If you watch their video, the record is given by Racelogic, which is just a company that makes data acquisition software.

They DO hold a Guinness record for 0-300km/h, but it is not a production car record, it is just listed as "two seat hypercar". The reason they didn't do a similar thing for top speed is that there are loads of salt flat cars in the same classes that have gone over 300MPH, which is near impossible for a road legal car, so the production car record is the one that matters.

The car is an Exige with a twin turbo GM 427 (LS) engine. YES IT IS still registered as a Lotus. There are numerous references for this all over the Internet, from magazines, to Wikipedia, to the Venom's own website where the disclaimer at the bottom states that it is based on the Exige.

Koenigsegg started out using Ford modular engines, but they are now building their own engines, although they are still loosely based on the Ford design. Not the same thing as bolting on some aftermarket parts and claiming you made it.

I personally think the Venom is pretty cool, the issue for me is that when they start lying about it and trying to claim records for which they aren't eligible, it is insulting to those who are spending the time and money to engineer true production cars.

Not sure if you guys realize this, but it is orders of magnitude more difficult and expensive to engineer a car for legal sale than it is to design one that can go 250+MPH. You have to meet crash test requirements, emissions requirements, and a whole slew of general engineering requirements like stability control and idiot light placement and headlight design and power window switch designs. You can read all about the US requirements here: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations. In addition, to sell it worldwide, you also have to meet all the UN requirements, which area similar, but different enough that many of them require separate tests.

If Hennessey wants to claim to be in that circle, lets see their crash test results, or their EPA type certificate. Otherwise STFU and lower the price and sell the thing in the same class as the AMS alpha GTR series. It would still be cool, and they could still make money, without even acting like scam artists.

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 PM

He probably could have still made a bunch of money if he came out at first and said we stuck a 1000HP vette engine in an Exige, yehaaaa! I would have been down with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in