KIA Soul - handling by Lotus - need impressions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

KIA Soul - handling by Lotus - need impressions

I have a Honda Civic DX with 204,000 miles on it, and while it is still servicable as a daily driver and has the potential to do another 100k, I am cognizant of the likelyhood of a sudden demise at any moment.

I have therefore considered numerous cars as a replacement. I do not need suggestions for a replacement vehicle.

What I would like is impressions from people who own or have test driven a KIA Soul. I have read numerous owner revues, but they are written by people who generally look at cars as utilitarian vehicles or fashion statements. I am interested in opinions of the sports car community.

The Soul meets most of my criteria. I have since read that Lotus has tuned the suspension (so one of my reservations - the handling - is now allayed).

So...what do you think?

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM

I'm always swapping cars, and my last purchase decision included the Soul as one of the candidates. I didn't wind up buying the Soul.

I wasn't impressed with the Soul's handling, although it's somewhat unfair to expect it to be more than it is. The short wheelbase along with a fairly high center of gravity makes for a somewhat jittery highway ride, in my opinion. I drove the Exclaim with the bigger alloys, so I don't know if the drive might be better with the smaller wheels. Around-town driving is what it is, not very different from most other small cars.

For the price, the Soul has plenty of goodies, nice style, and should probably be fairly reliable. Hyundai/Kia is probably causing sleepless nights for Toyota and Honda...

EDIT: Oops, I forgot that I drove a Sport as well. Same drive as the Exclaim (I don't think there's any difference in suspension, but I'm not sure).

Kevin

Magnetic Blue/Hardtop/Starshield - sold 5/17/05

Last edited by Goose; 06-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
xtn

The fact that Lotus "tunend" the suspension doesn't necessarily mean the handling is awesome. Who knows what criteria they were given?

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn View Post
The fact that Lotus "tunend" the suspension doesn't necessarily mean the handling is awesome. Who knows what criteria they were given?

xtn
I am not really expecting the handling to be stellar, but I find it reassuring that Lotus was consulted and that the handling would be optimized for what it is. These boxy type vehicles Soul, Xb, Element etc tend to have solid rear axles to optimize the cargo space and keep the vehicle low, so I am not expecting (or desiring) sports car handling. This is why I am not looking to get Mazdaspeed 3, Civic Si, etc. My Lotus perform that function.

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM

just picked up a sport last week and also own an 07 exige. it is a real nice car feels pretty solid. the hard part is driving in the lotus then getting in it and remembering you are not in the lotus. it is little and fun you can zip around in it. pretty good little second car.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 AM

I believe only the UK market Souls have Lotus-tuned suspension, but you should ask a Kia Soul forum to be sure.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Yhis site says the Lotus tuned cars will come to both UK and US

Kia Soul gets Lotus tuned suspension

Lotus Enthusiasts says:
the changes are designed to stop harshness getting into the cabin, while giving improved steering feel on high frequency undulations. They also give the car more poise, and prevent the car using the whole suspension range over bumps.

Lotus to give Kia some Soul | Lotus Enthusiast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in