The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

My car is sold :( But buying a Toniq R :)

34K views 148 replies 61 participants last post by  LotusStig22 
#1 ·
A bit of a sad day with some mixed feelings.

We took the Elise to an autocross, for the first time since September. The car was flying and was unreal how well it handled and how fast it was. But the point of taking it to the autocross was to let the prospective owner test it out and it passed with flying colours.

So... the development car for SCCA ASP is now in someone else's capable hands. The new owner is Jason Uyeda, the head technical guy at Neversoft. Jason is a very good driver and proven he can build cars, the last being an Uber S2000. Jason intends on taking the car further than I have.

It is a bit sad for me, since this is the car I have had for 3 and 1/2 years. The car I drove from Georgia to San Diego in 2.5 days. The one that ran the Tail of the Dragon with Killyboy being quoted he had never seen a car that fast ever on Tail of the Dragon. The car that we did a TON of development work on, trying this intake or that header. One of the first imported federal cars. One of the first with LSD.

What is next? Well, there is the Eagle, but that will be a bit of a wait. In the meantime, I am having another car being built for me in Cornwall UK. This will be a 2.4l Duratec turbo engine Seven clone called a Toniq R. More info to follow on that. Seems it will be even more pure of purpose. No ABS, alarm, AC, heater, stereo, windshield, roof.

I might also be picking up a Porsche Boxster S for a daily driver. That is being negotiated.

I am happy my car will be in capable hands and I will not be reducing my involvement AT ALL in the Lotus community. I just will be showing up at events in my Toniq for the next year.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the car I will be driving later this spring

550 kgs (just over 1200 pounds) and over 300 hp.

There is a Lotus connection to this car, one of the design guys was the instrumental in developing the Elise.

#7 ·
Randy, Its sad to see you sell the Elise after so much you two have been through.. Hope we will see you in something equivalent again...

Your new ride looks awesome though.. Cant beat the power to weight ratio!

#10 ·
A couple reasons.

We believe in the concept of the car, basically a Seven clone for the 21st century. I think it looks more unique. And lastly (but an important point), the main importers and distributors of the Toniq is Robert P and I. Seems to make sense to have one. :)

We have a good relationship with the factory (Adrenalyn Motorsports, check out the Murtaya car) and they have worked with us quite closely over the last year. We visited the factory in Cornwall two weeks ago and had some good meetings. We were able to spec out the first US car to our requirements. The second car will be a motorcycle engine, sequential shifter.

#14 ·
http://www.toniqr.co.uk/

Pricing is to be determined. But we expect the car to be available in the US as a roller for a good price, maybe $20K? And with a supplied drive train installed for the somewhere in the 30s???? Don't hold me to that!

WW, we tried to convince the developer to change his slogan from refresh your ride, to "its a bit clever."

#15 ·
I would pick one up at 20k. Any ideas on how smog would go down in Cali? Kind of off topic, but then again you are getting one ;)

I visited loanshark not too long ago.. I should of stopped by your place

#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
It sounds like a tough decision to make, but it is important to know when it's the right time to let go and move. Just like in any other relationship. It's sounds like you're on to other wonderful things already. I don't know what to say about the Boxster so I'll be quiet for the time being.:) Enjoy everything life has to offer you Randy!

#22 ·
Good luck with the Toniq. It makes sense since you are starting a new business. But the challenge with those lightweight high power cars is to get the chassis tuning right. Something Caterham has done for some 35years. When you get the chassis sorted out, this thing will fly!

Good luck, ship jumper. ;)

#40 ·
Good luck with the Toniq. It makes sense since you are starting a new business. But the challenge with those lightweight high power cars is to get the chassis tuning right. Something Caterham has done for some 35years. When you get the chassis sorted out, this thing will fly!
This is why they teamed up with Adrenalin Motorsports and one of the guys (Dave) that was instrumental to the Lotus Elise chassis. There was a lot of design work into the suspension and chassis using CAD.

#31 ·
Building up the car was a separate issue and really stupid financially. For eample, we upgraded the Penske cannisters to the latest ones at a cost of over $2000 in September. I will never get that back. The goal was always to build up the fastest SCCA legal car for autocross in its class. I think we have done that, and we were continuing to do that.

I think I would have been just as happy keeping the car for many more months, this was not a firesale. The car has ben listed as "for sale" for a long time on this forum. It just so happened that two separate people contacted me in the last two weeks wanting the car for SCCA competition.

It really makes a lot of sense for the buyer. You get a lighter car with a full blown stand alone ECU, supercharger, custom exhaust system, $5000 shocks, springs, etc etc etc. All told, there is at least $25,0000 put into the car (which I will NOT get back out of it by far).

Another issue for me was ChaseCam is taking up so much of my time, I really have not been able to do the required tuning and testing to keep moving the car forward. We have a list of things to do to the car, such as the E-85 tune, larger throttle body, intercooler, and more. Just not enough time to do it. Jason (the new car owner) can get it done and then he can win in this car.

#26 ·
neat, I like that Toniq alot. Seems like alot of Elise owner's eventually gravitate towards something more hard-core. Not surprising really as the car is a bit of a compromise between a street car and race car. best of luck!

#33 ·
Depends on the build. I think from around $20K and you supply the drivetrain, to over $35k as a ready to go product.

#30 ·
Is that going to be streetable in the US ??? :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.