My car is sold :( But buying a Toniq R :) - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Funny, a couple of members from the earlier days stopped by my place today, and I mentioned that things seem to be waning (Camelot effect). REGULAR Drives are less often and less people, same with dinners, friendships, etc. This just seems to bring it full circle. The forum will run on steam (and a good steam) for a while, but the heyday is past. I wish I had gotten in on the early days, though I am enjoying myself immencely.

Great line from an old musical, that if anyone can guess the name they get a free Alligator pizza. "When life only rains in sprinkles, you've got to gather all your hands can hold. I'm staying young, yes I'm staying young while everyone around me's growing old." The forum, the people, the new friends I've made that seem to put up with us old guys cashing in on the fun, have been great, none of which would have happened without this forum.

'06 Elise: Phantom Black, Touring, Starshield, Powder Coated Black Wheels,
'11 Evora S: Phantom black, '14 Jaguar F type silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM

Cool Toniq R in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
A quick pic from the show
More pics of Toniq R (in Vivid Green)

..and new fans
Attached Images

Last edited by climb4fun; 01-27-2008 at 11:38 PM.
post #63 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 PM

A few more shots..
Attached Images

post #64 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 PM

A few more shots..
Attached Images

post #65 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Thanks Babak2, great pics from a great time.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #66 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:36 AM

Randy, congrats on the sale and the new (upcoming) ride. I think many of us would like a thread dedicated to your new car. I had pretty much decided on a Caterham for a build project but that thing looks awesome.

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #67 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
Funny, a couple of members from the earlier days stopped by my place today, and I mentioned that things seem to be waning (Camelot effect). REGULAR Drives are less often and less people, same with dinners, friendships, etc. This just seems to bring it full circle. The forum will run on steam (and a good steam) for a while, but the heyday is past. I wish I had gotten in on the early days, though I am enjoying myself immencely.

Great line from an old musical, that if anyone can guess the name they get a free Alligator pizza. "When life only rains in sprinkles, you've got to gather all your hands can hold. I'm staying young, yes I'm staying young while everyone around me's growing old." The forum, the people, the new friends I've made that seem to put up with us old guys cashing in on the fun, have been great, none of which would have happened without this forum.

Broadway musical "Take Me Along."

I think you bring up a good point, but I also think it is part of the ebb and flow of car forums. It was indeed a very cool time back in 2003-2005. Lots of new people, new interest. I have made lifelong contacts from this forum and that is always cool. I really like when I see someone who posted in the early days, still post here. It was an interesting time for sure.

Partly, we are dealing with winter. I noted at the Carlsbad Cars and Coffee meet this last Sunday. Two years ago, 20 Lotus cars would show up. This Sunday, three cars were there. Partly also a reflection of the entire event, and forecast of rain too. But still, it has changed a bit.

It comes down to people. Here in SoCal we had some avid members that helped to make things happen.... a good number no longer own a Lotus, and/or are not as active in the community. I know for me personally, when my business took off, I purposely stepped back from the community... I just did not have the time to organize events.

Reality is, there are more people now involved, but just not organizing things. Back in 2004, we all knew we were the ones that had to make things happen. Now, I think a new person comes on the scene and perceives an existing community, so they don't make things happen as much. I hope that makes sense, and I could be totally wrong.

It only takes a couple people to bring it all back. Make events. Our community is a combination of things... online interaction, knowledge database, car events, and more.

And for what it is worth, I think there are some things that will happen in 2008 to resurrect the community. LOG28. Route66 caravan. Highway 1 trips. West Coast Lotus Meet. San Diego spring fling and autocross. And of course the free food for all Lotus people day at your restaurant.

By the way, I will be in Pasadena on the 12th, if I can, I will stop by.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #68 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtr View Post
Randy, congrats on the sale and the new (upcoming) ride. I think many of us would like a thread dedicated to your new car. I had pretty much decided on a Caterham for a build project but that thing looks awesome.
I will make a new thread for it when the time is right.

post #69 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 AM

Randy:

Thanks for keeping the club (site) going strong and expanding to all Lotus-coverage. I can't wait to see what the next car is.

NOTFWD.com (NOT Front Wheel Drive)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
......Go backwards. Go back to a time when there were no Manettinos, no ASR, no power steering, no lifeless video game-like shift paddles, no buttery smooth manual gearboxes, no featherweight clutches, no functional air conditioning.....
post #70 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:24 AM

until then can you comment on the basic chassis constuction and rear suspension? will the roll bar get 4 point bracing?

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #71 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Rollcage will be fully SCCA compliant (which unfortunately means a single hoop, so it will look different). Chassis is round tube construction. Happy to let you test drive it in a few months!

post #72 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Garage
Randy, I propose a new sub forum "Lotus Inspired Cars"

This would capture Birkin, Locosts, Toniq, Caterhams, etc.

David Avery
06 Lotus Exige | 08 BMW M3 Cab
visit focusedE
post #73 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma550 View Post

Excellent idea.

post #74 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma550 View Post

I know I am being a bit pedantic but I would put Caterham apart from the others. Caterham bought the rights to produce the Seven from Lotus so they still make the Seven. Also I believe that a bunch of guys from Lotus bought Caterham a few years ago.

I have been to the Caterham factory and I came very close to buying one before the Elise came here. I thought the Caterham was the best of the breed then and I am looking forward to seeing what the the boys from Cornwall can do.

Providing an opportunity for others to live vicariously through me since 2004 ®
post #75 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Rollcage will be fully SCCA compliant (which unfortunately means a single hoop, so it will look different). Chassis is round tube construction. Happy to let you test drive it in a few months!
will look forward to that!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #76 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM

how does one pronounce toniq?

is it tonic, like the mixer or perhaps tonique?
post #77 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
I think it is a bit between the two, closer to Tonic..but with a slight Q sound.

"Toniq, a refreshing car"

"Toniq, its a bit clever"

post #78 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM

I think it is pronounced like the license plate on the black car at the beginning of the post, "Ton (of) IQ," because really intelligent people buy them.
post #79 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 AM

I am glad a got a ride in the Elise before it got sold It felt really fast!!!

Toniq really looks great. I too have wanted a seven for a while now. I'll stay tuned for more info when Randy and Robert have more to say.
post #80 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
This is the car I will be driving later this spring

550 kgs (just over 1200 pounds) and over 300 hp.

There is a Lotus connection to this car, one of the design guys was the instrumental in developing the Elise.

Congrats Randy! It's always tough to see a good friend go, but at least it sounds like she is in good hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f178/my-car-sold-but-buying-toniq-r-51475/
Posted By For Type Date
LocostUSA.com :: View topic - turn key? This thread Refback 05-26-2008 02:42 PM