My car is sold :( But buying a Toniq R :) - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
We have not worked out the pricing yet, but the Toniq sells for under 20k pounds in UK. I expect a finished car would be mid $30ks? A "roller" where you add the drivetrain for $20k???? I earlier looked at an Atom and the way I wanted it configured, was around $70k and for me, it was too much.

I did a lot of the write up on the roadtrip.
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4987
Short story is that the trip became truncated when my wife was diagnosed with cancer and scheduled for surgery. I ended up doing Tail of the Dragon and then bonzai runs through Tennessee and to Austin Texas, followed by a single leg from Austin to San Diego in 19 hours in the Elise.

I hope to have a bit of longer trip on Route 66 this year, but it will be in the Toniq R. Plus a trip up HIghway 1 to WCLM.

By the way, passed on getting the Porsche (hated the shifter). Still considering some options and still shopping for the best tow vehicle and closed trailer. Business has been such that some of this stuff gets shoved down the priority list (a main reason I sold the Elise..just not enough time). I am hoping when the Toniq gets here, I can eek out more time by staffing up here.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM

That Toniq is awesome. Just making sure(even though i read some definitive posts), is it road legal? Congratulations!
After I get a motorcycle, I'll be after something like Toniq OR the new Esprit (or whatever they call it)
Makes me glad I have so many options and I dont have to go the all so common path of Lambo/Ferrari. Although I have to say I'm smitten by the new Competizione but everybody knows the Alfa will be a very finicky car.
post #103 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
...Short story is that the trip became truncated when my wife was diagnosed with cancer and scheduled for surgery...
My hopes and prayers are for a complete recovery for your wife and family. Something like that definitely puts things back in to proper perspective.

post #104 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
My hopes and prayers are for a complete recovery for your wife and family. Something like that definitely puts things back in to proper perspective.

Definitely. Hope all is well, Randy.

BTW, no Porsche? I always thought that lifeless shifter was the best part of the car

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #105 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
This is the car I will be driving later this spring

550 kgs (just over 1200 pounds) and over 300 hp.

There is a Lotus connection to this car, one of the design guys was the instrumental in developing the Elise.
Its spring. Where is it?
post #106 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
550 kgs (just over 1200 pounds) and over 300 hp.
300 hp? Is that a typo, or are you doing a major upgrade?
post #107 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
We are not using the same drivetrain. We are using a 2.3l turbo Duratec motor from Mazdaspeed. We have had some meetings with Mazdaspeed and the motor will be breathed on a bit.

My motor for competition may even be more. Take a look at the World Challenge Touring Car motors.

The one thing that will also be different is that the weight will probably be slightly more. Specially in my car as I have to ballast up to meet minimum competition weights.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #108 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:45 PM

That Toniq R sounds very interesting compadre!

Quote:
We have not worked out the pricing yet, but the Toniq sells for under 20k pounds in UK. I expect a finished car would be mid $30ks? A "roller" where you add the drivetrain for $20k???? I earlier looked at an Atom and the way I wanted it configured, was around $70k and for me, it was too much.

I did a lot of the write up on the roadtrip.
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4987
Short story is that the trip became truncated when my wife was diagnosed with cancer and scheduled for surgery. I ended up doing Tail of the Dragon and then bonzai runs through Tennessee and to Austin Texas, followed by a single leg from Austin to San Diego in 19 hours in the Elise.

I hope to have a bit of longer trip on Route 66 this year, but it will be in the Toniq R. Plus a trip up HIghway 1 to WCLM.

By the way, passed on getting the Porsche (hated the shifter). Still considering some options and still shopping for the best tow vehicle and closed trailer. Business has been such that some of this stuff gets shoved down the priority list (a main reason I sold the Elise..just not enough time). I am hoping when the Toniq gets here, I can eek out more time by staffing up here.
Agree with you that the Atom is just priced silly.

Think you'll have any problems getting the Toniq street legal? It will be classified a kit car I reckon.

Recall vividly your postings on your pick-up in Atlanta and roadtrip back to San Diego. For some reason I seem to remember a dedicated website you started to work on while going all Buzz & Todd that year

Shifter on the Boxsters are a liitle different. Coming from the Elise though that's a bold statement.

My Cayman has the short shifter option and it feels like it was milled out of a solid ingot of steel.

Keep us posted.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
post #109 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Nice car tho it looks like they ran out of ideas by the time they got to the front end & just tacked on that ugly rectangle. Of course, as a Caterham owner, I have a bias about how LISS's should look.
post #110 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Wow ... just came across this thread and I like it.

I have been considering a WCM Ultralight, but if this can be had for about the same price, I would definitely be interested.

I didn't see where this question had been asked/answered yet: Are you getting left hand drive or is this thing only going to be right side drive?

- Rob O'
post #111 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslvr View Post
Nice car tho it looks like they ran out of ideas by the time they got to the front end & just tacked on that ugly rectangle. Of course, as a Caterham owner, I have a bias about how LISS's should look.

I feel that the "rectangle" in contrast is not the best choice either. To me, it works okay when the same color as the body.

post #112 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
Wow ... just came across this thread and I like it.

I have been considering a WCM Ultralight, but if this can be had for about the same price, I would definitely be interested.

I didn't see where this question had been asked/answered yet: Are you getting left hand drive or is this thing only going to be right side drive?
Left hand drive.

There are some other things still up in the air, primarily was how to handle the pound/dollar conversion rate. We had some ideas about sourcing more parts of the car here in the US, but recently there have been discussions with the principals in the UK to perhaps take that a step further.

post #113 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 AM

Congrats Randy. Do I see toniqtalk.com on the horizon? I met you the day you bought your Elise and headed west on that adventure. It's strange to think that was 3.5 years ago! Good luck with the new machine!

Dan Parker
92 BMW 328 - JP Race Car
10 Jetta Tdi Cup
11 BMW 1M
post #114 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM

any update?

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
post #115 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Not really. Plans are on hold for now since I picked up the Noble. Will rethink this later in the year.

The Toniq (and some other British cars) made more sense when the economy was better. Coupled with the 2:1 pound-dollar exchange rates, the cars from UK become a bit spendy for what they are.

post #116 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Update. Finally.

So a few developments. I bought a Noble. And then I bought a Rossion. And the economy tanked. So we waited. But it is getting close to time to make this happen.
In the meantime, Toniq has been undergoing some improvements with an improved chassis. They brought in an ex-Lotus engineer to help refine the suspension and they report that has worked well. And there have been some other refinements.

I am talking to the factory about starting the build on my car. We hope to have it done by October.

Weight about 1100 pounds. With a removable windshield. Lights are now integrated (I will miss the billet lights). We debated about using a Mazda Renesis engine, but I think we settled on a 2l Duratec mated to a 6 speed gearbox with LSD. Ultimate power goal will be 250-300hp. I think anything over 300 in car this light will be silly.

I will start a new thread when we start documenting the build.

post #117 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM

BUT your sig still says "2009 Toniq... 400whp"?

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #118 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Need to change that. I have learned that you can have too much power.

post #119 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
......Weight about 1100 pounds........Ultimate power goal will be 250-300hp. I think anything over 300 in car this light will be silly.....
Good call. Worst case scenario, you can always upgrade later if need be.

I've ridden in a Caterham that was putting down just over 300 hp at the wheels and that car was just insane. Keep us posted on your build diary.

Noble

Astronomy is looking up.
post #120 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Yep.

We are thinking we start with this. We can always look at a Renesis engine later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f178/my-car-sold-but-buying-toniq-r-51475/
Posted By For Type Date
LocostUSA.com :: View topic - turn key? This thread Refback 05-26-2008 02:42 PM