My car is sold :( But buying a Toniq R :) - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Registered User
 
LotusStig22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wawa Territory
Posts: 960
So it has nearly the Power to Weight of a Veyron? More?
Wow, and for 1/53rd of the price.

That's impressive, I assume it'll handle well?
And if you're using a Japanese Mazdaspeed engine one can only think it'll last for a long time.
LotusStig22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder
 
Randy Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tail of the Dragon
Posts: 29,082
Garage
All those things are true.

We went and visited the car builder in September. Saw the newest improvements. Quite nice.

My car should be coming over in early 2010.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Randy Chase is offline  
post #123 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
LotusStig22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wawa Territory
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
All those things are true.

We went and visited the car builder in September. Saw the newest improvements. Quite nice.

My car should be coming over in early 2010.
Aww, but all the fun's in building it!

Just kidding, as Clarkson said, "Your wife leaves you, she's in bed with the milkman, and you're wondering 'Oh, where's my front suspension unit?'"

Any projected MPG rates. Emissions? (I have to ask, in this economy I can't afford not to)
LotusStig22 is offline  
 
post #124 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Registered User
 
Green Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
How come you picked the Toniq R over a Caterham?
Looks like a good choice -

Congratulations

Life, Liberty and the Happiness of Pursuit

I can help you move TO anywhere in the USA FROM anywhere in the USA - ask me how...
Green Hornet is offline  
post #125 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: out of a suitcase- my stuff lives in LA
Posts: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Looks like a good choice -

How do you know?

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
67 Lotus Elan (sold)

www.morgansegal.com
mopho is offline  
post #126 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered User
 
LotusStig22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wawa Territory
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
How do you know?
Maybe he speaks German
YouTube - DMAX D Motor - Toniq R vs. Caterham CSR 260 Superlight
LotusStig22 is offline  
post #127 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: out of a suitcase- my stuff lives in LA
Posts: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusStig22 View Post
Maybe he speaks German

Someone translated it in another thread, apparently, they preferred the performance of the Caterham but liked the styling of the Toniq

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
67 Lotus Elan (sold)

www.morgansegal.com
mopho is offline  
post #128 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder
 
Randy Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tail of the Dragon
Posts: 29,082
Garage
Both the styling and performance have improved since then. Toniq brought in the Lotus engineer to work on the suspension and chassis dynamics.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Randy Chase is offline  
post #129 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder
 
Randy Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tail of the Dragon
Posts: 29,082
Garage
Truly either car would be cool, I am a big fan of the Caterham (and Westfield). But I like being different.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Randy Chase is offline  
post #130 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Registered User
 
LotusStig22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wawa Territory
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
Truly either car would be cool, I am a big fan of the Caterham (and Westfield). But I like being different.
Oh, we know, Mr. Rossion + Noble + Toniq + Head of everything + Lotus Master + Level 99 Paladin (And for all we know, you are).
LotusStig22 is offline  
post #131 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Registered User
 
ms355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
Someone translated it in another thread, apparently, they preferred the performance of the Caterham but liked the styling of the Toniq
Basically that is correct, but it was just the conclusion. However, Tim Schrick is aware of comparing apples and oranges in a way:

Caterham: 2.3 liter Cosworth, 260 hp
Toniq R: 2.0 liter Duratec, 203 hp (plus a 'long' rear axle ratio)

This can be subject to changes.

After having tried on the Toniq last month I would say that's the one to go for.
ms355 is offline  
post #132 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: out of a suitcase- my stuff lives in LA
Posts: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms355 View Post
Basically that is correct, but it was just the conclusion. However, Tim Schrick is aware of comparing apples and oranges in a way:

Caterham: 2.3 liter Cosworth, 260 hp
Toniq R: 2.0 liter Duratec, 203 hp (plus a 'long' rear axle ratio)

This can be subject to changes.

After having tried on the Toniq last month I would say that's the one to go for.
Have you driven a similar spec Caterham?

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
67 Lotus Elan (sold)

www.morgansegal.com
mopho is offline  
post #133 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Registered User
 
LotusStig22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wawa Territory
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms355 View Post
Basically that is correct, but it was just the conclusion. However, Tim Schrick is aware of comparing apples and oranges in a way:

Caterham: 2.3 liter Cosworth, 260 hp
Toniq R: 2.0 liter Duratec, 203 hp (plus a 'long' rear axle ratio)

This can be subject to changes.

After having tried on the Toniq last month I would say that's the one to go for.
Danke.

But Seeing as how Mr. Chases Toniq will be approximately 300hp, the performance is bound to be much better than the one in D-Motor's video.

Whereas the Caterham R500 (Which I assume to be a better model) cranks 263, but is lighter for a better power-to-weight? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of power to weight, however, the R500 is 263HP/1115.5Lbs, meaning .23 Horsepower per Pound. Mr. Chases Toniq, therefore, would be projected to have 300HP/1100Lbs meaning .27(Repeated) Horsepower per pound. So if the final Toniq build is relatively close to the projection, the Toniq would be superior in terms of performance.

And this is the R500 model, the 260 CSR Superlight is 100 pounds heavier with 260 horsepower, which is still heavier with less horsepower.
I'm sure the Caterham is still a blast to drive, but I'm a numbers person, and from the numbers standpoint, the Performance of the Toniq is slightly superior.

No offense to any Caterham owners, you've got good taste.
LotusStig22 is offline  
post #134 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: out of a suitcase- my stuff lives in LA
Posts: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusStig22 View Post
Danke.

But Seeing as how Mr. Chases Toniq will be approximately 300hp, the performance is bound to be much better than the one in D-Motor's video.

Whereas the Caterham R500 (Which I assume to be a better model) cranks 263, but is lighter for a better power-to-weight? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of power to weight, however, the R500 is 263HP/1115.5Lbs, meaning .23 Horsepower per Pound. Mr. Chases Toniq, therefore, would be projected to have 300HP/1100Lbs meaning .27(Repeated) Horsepower per pound. So if the final Toniq build is relatively close to the projection, the Toniq would be superior in terms of performance.

And this is the R500 model, the 260 CSR Superlight is 100 pounds heavier with 260 horsepower, which is still heavier with less horsepower.
I'm sure the Caterham is still a blast to drive, but I'm a numbers person, and from the numbers standpoint, the Performance of the Toniq is slightly superior.

No offense to any Caterham owners, you've got good taste.

You're a numbers person because you are young and don't have a lot of experience, no offense.

First off, Randy is custom building his car up to 300hp, so if you want numbers you can get 300hp in a Caterham too, you're not limited to the motors that they sell you

Secondly, on these cars, often less is more, many consider the lower powered cars better to drive. (My car with a "mere" 200hp is enough to smoke most cars and sufficiently scare the sh!t out of me)

Third, neither car is better than the other, it is really personal preference

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
67 Lotus Elan (sold)

www.morgansegal.com

Last edited by mopho; 10-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
mopho is offline  
post #135 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder
 
Randy Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tail of the Dragon
Posts: 29,082
Garage
Mine will have too much power. Stupid really.

I can live with that.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Randy Chase is offline  
post #136 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered User
 
LotusStig22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wawa Territory
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
You're a numbers person because you are young and don't have a lot of experience, no offense.

First off, Randy is custom building his car up to 300hp, so if you want numbers you can get 300hp in a Caterham too, you're not limited to the motors that they sell you

Secondly, on these cars, often less is more, many consider the lower powered cars better to drive.

Third, neither car is better than the other, it is really personal preference
Well, considering I was talking about Mr. Chase's Toniq vs various Standard Caterham models, yes the numbers speak for themselves.

No, I'm a numbers person because I'm good at math, it's universal, and unlike "Personal memories", numbers will never fail you.

However, I do see your point, and it's extremely valid.
But if it's a lower powered car you want, then Toniq R Specs
Even less weight, and less power. So I can only assume people would find this enjoyable as well?

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm in NO WAY Anti-Caterham, I love them too. As soon as I could afford one it'd be my first little "Weekend Toy". The feel of it all just makes sense.

To be honest I envy you for having one.
LotusStig22 is offline  
post #137 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: out of a suitcase- my stuff lives in LA
Posts: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
Mine will have too much power. Stupid really.

I can live with that.
Yeah, but we all know you don't have both chopsticks in the chow mein

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
67 Lotus Elan (sold)

www.morgansegal.com
mopho is offline  
post #138 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Registered User
 
ms355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
Have you driven a similar spec Caterham?
Caterham yes, but not this spec.

When I say 'try on' I mean it literally: sitting in it and getting an idea of how it feels and looks - which, of course, is a matter of taste. I am sure that even with the Duratec engine the Toniq would be fun to drive.
ms355 is offline  
post #139 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Registered User
 
ms355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
Mine will have too much power. Stupid really.

I can live with that.
Don't worry, Randy. Just mind the speed limits in your country.
ms355 is offline  
post #140 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: out of a suitcase- my stuff lives in LA
Posts: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusStig22 View Post
Well, considering I was talking about Mr. Chase's Toniq vs various Standard Caterham models, yes the numbers speak for themselves.
Right, but the point was that Randy's car doesn't sound like it is going to be a "standard model", so you can't really compare it to a standard Caterham

Quote:
No, I'm a numbers person because I'm good at math, it's universal, and unlike "Personal memories", numbers will never fail you.
Numbers don't tell the whole story when it comes to cars (and many other things in life)

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
67 Lotus Elan (sold)

www.morgansegal.com
mopho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f178/my-car-sold-but-buying-toniq-r-51475/
Posted By For Type Date
LocostUSA.com :: View topic - turn key? This thread Refback 05-26-2008 02:42 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome