My car is sold :( But buying a Toniq R :) - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
Right, but the point was that Randy's car doesn't sound like it is going to be a "standard model", so you can't really compare it to a standard Caterham

Numbers don't tell the whole story when it comes to cars (and many other things in life)
Well the difference is 40 more horsepower and 100 less pounds of weight, if you can add 40 horsepower and shed 100 pounds of weight to a Caterham and you could track it against a Toniq R, in all honesty, I'd LOVE to see that matchup.

My point being, what are you going to compare it to? Even the highest Caterham doesn't compare so you'd have to find such a Caterham to match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusStig22 View Post
My point being, what are you going to compare it to? Even the highest Caterham doesn't compare so you'd have to find such a Caterham to match.
There are plenty of Caterhams out there running everything from turbo miata engine all the way to chevy small block V8s. The fun thing about 7s are that the basic config is just a rough blueprint - each owner customizes it to his/her tastes and no two cars are alike. The closest "standard" config that comes to mind is a supercharged WCM Ultralite S2k with [email protected]

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #143 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
There are plenty of Caterhams out there running everything from turbo miata engine all the way to chevy small block V8s. The fun thing about 7s are that the basic config is just a rough blueprint - each owner customizes it to his/her tastes and no two cars are alike. The closest "standard" config that comes to mind is a supercharged WCM Ultralite S2k with [email protected]
Ah, well I still like the styling of the Toniq better.

post #144 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well the difference is 40 more horsepower and 100 less pounds of weight, if you can add 40 horsepower and shed 100 pounds of weight to a Caterham and you could track it against a Toniq R, in all honesty, I'd LOVE to see that matchup.
Where do you get that it is 100lbs lighter and 40hp more? Last we heard Randy's car only exists in mid build, and he was estimating the weight at 1100 lbs (An R500 is 1115 lbs) and is planning on running the same kind of Duratec motor as the R500, so will have the exact same power options as one would have in a Caterham

You can do all the power to weight math you want, but that is not going to tell you how the car puts down the power, how it handles, brakes, responsiveness, gear ratios, final drive ratios, settings, how it communicates etc., not to mention the variables added depending on the course you're driving. The numbers don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of cars out there that sound awesome on paper but are a let down to drive

On such a light front engined car like this, you can have a ton of power, but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to put it to the ground, especially when exiting corners. You might even end up going slower because you lose time spinning the tires or sliding sideways, etc..

Again, neither car is better and personally, I can't wait until Randy gets this car and comes out to play with the rest of us loonies

post #145 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM

i dont really like the styling of the toniq, i prefer the caterham. hopefuly it get better in the future

2006 k24 powered Lotus Elise-way too many mods to list (k24 swap 300whp NA!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOFOm5xTZA
2003 Caterham Super Seven DeDion
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT
post #146 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Ah, well I still like the styling of the Toniq better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNlotus View Post
i dont really like the styling of the toniq, i prefer the caterham. hopefuly it get better in the future

I tried to get the license plate here in California "MARMITE" but it was taken.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #147 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
Where do you get that it is 100lbs lighter and 40hp more? Last we heard Randy's car only exists in mid build, and he was estimating the weight at 1100 lbs (An R500 is 1115 lbs) and is planning on running the same kind of Duratec motor as the R500, so will have the exact same power options as one would have in a Caterham

You can do all the power to weight math you want, but that is not going to tell you how the car puts down the power, how it handles, brakes, responsiveness, gear ratios, final drive ratios, settings, how it communicates etc., not to mention the variables added depending on the course you're driving. The numbers don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of cars out there that sound awesome on paper but are a let down to drive

On such a light front engined car like this, you can have a ton of power, but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to put it to the ground, especially when exiting corners. You might even end up going slower because you lose time spinning the tires or sliding sideways, etc..

Again, neither car is better and personally, I can't wait until Randy gets this car and comes out to play with the rest of us loonies
Which is why I said "Projected values and estimates" countless times...jeez, no need to argue over such a meaningless topic. If I had a dollar for every "Who's car is better" Argument...
But another Caterham I looked up (CSR 260 I think?) is 1286, that's where I get 100 pounds lighter, actually now it's 186 pounds lighter, meaning a Toniq + Me = Caterham CSR 260.
post #148 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwRgSZiKTk

2006 k24 powered Lotus Elise-way too many mods to list (k24 swap 300whp NA!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOFOm5xTZA
2003 Caterham Super Seven DeDion
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT
post #149 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM

And I bet since the Caterham looks cuter than the 996 it'll attract more chicks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f178/my-car-sold-but-buying-toniq-r-51475/
Posted By For Type Date
LocostUSA.com :: View topic - turn key? This thread Refback 05-26-2008 02:42 PM