Steve Tyler's 1 million Hennessey convertible - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
3Xtothe0[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXEight View Post
So this thing actually starts out as a production Elise. I wonder if it still has the Elise VIN and registration. That would make it a whole lot easier for Hennessey, no emissions, crash testing, etc. That also means that he is making about a million profit per car.
Just like I said, sticker price Fail !

I doubt Hennessey did anything beyond tearing an elise apart and making a monster out of it?
Steven Tyler will barely put any miles on it, it will be a super garage queen.

Is the no lift in corners rule still in effect?

2006 GG Elise Touring/HT/Starshield/Janspeed Stage II Sport exhaust/MM/Multivex/Nitto Invo replacements for rears [which are pretty damn good]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXEight View Post
So this thing actually starts out as a production Elise. I wonder if it still has the Elise VIN and registration. That would make it a whole lot easier for Hennessey, no emissions, crash testing, etc. That also means that he is making about a million profit per car.
Start with a CA registered / legal Elise and you're good for a few years. Once it comes time to Smog check / renew plates, move vehicle to another state, like OR and save.

This way you've only paid sales tax on a '11 Elise and not a $1.2MM Venom.

I personally like the Venom. It's an Überhyper-Car with Lotus DNA and looks better 'n a Veyron IMO.

I'm also liking the new Exige, especially in that color. Needs a LARGER wing and smaller side view mirrors tho.

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM

I saw the yellow one (non roadster) at Pebble Beach last year and had the 'pleasure' of speaking with John Hennessey. If you've ever been to Pebble Beach, you'll know that you'll see/rub elbows with all manner of 'car guys' - from uber billionaire collectors to enthusiasts to car company executives. In just spending a few days there, we met and chatted with/took photos with tons of people including: Schwartzenegger, Dan Neil (Car Show), Barry Mequiar, Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars, Dany Bahar (yep), Stephan Winkelman (CEO of Lambo), Cate Blanchett (yep, that Cate Blanchett), the Austrian dude who played the bag guy in Inglorious Basterds and many others. Most were very nice (for example, Barry Meguiar was a phenomenally nice man).

Of note, the Venom was in the lobby of the Portola Hotel. I go to look at it and find myself next to Michael Anthony of Van Halen - have a bunch of pics. We started talking cars and John Hennessey and crew walk up. After a small chat, Michael Anthony's lady friend, who used my iPhone to take the pics, turns and comments about what an a$$hole Hennessy and his peeps were!

On to the car. Sorry, I don't see it. It's cheating. This is Pagani, Koeningsegg, Bugatti money. Those cars are their OWN (regardless of the say AMG engine in the Pagani). Taking a Lotus Exige and an LS9 engine and doing all sorts of voodoo, just doesn't justify the price tag.

Also, what about resale? Even rocker guys sell cars. For example, I know a guy that has Steven Tyler's old Panoz AIV Roadster. Hell, I own two snare drums that I bought of of Tim 'Herb' Alexander from Primus! Rock guys sell off stuff!

What will the resale value of this car be? And yes, I'm sure they care. Paganis and Veyrons still command a king's ransom. I think this would depreciate rapidly. There's no provenance, no panache, no uniqueness is motoring history - it's just a frankenstein'd car

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon11 View Post
The chassis is HIGHLY modified to handle the power..... not close enough to call it an "elise chassis" imo.

otherwise

The Venom GT is created from a base Lotus Elise / Exige and utilizes components including but not limited to the roof, doors, side glass, windscreen, dash, cockpit, floorpan, HVAC system, wiper and head lamps. Hennessey Performance and the Venom GT are not associated with Lotus Cars.
the chassis is not highly modified, the subframe is replaced and bracing is added. the elise chassis does not have a floor pan... add that to the list of fail

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM

it's a million dollar hot rod. not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats his boat...

btw he used to have a Panoz AIV roadster so clearly he likes bizarre cars. can't knock him for that.

2005 LRG/tan Elise
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
it's a million dollar hot rod. not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats his boat...

btw he used to have a Panoz AIV roadster so clearly he likes bizarre cars. can't knock him for that.
Yep, I met they guy who owns the AIV now. Let's just say the fella was about 8X the size of little Steven Tyler.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Relapsing Honda fan

I spoke to the Hennessey reps at SEMA and no, it does not have an Elige title or registration. They import the cars partially built from Lotus, disassemble them and rebuild the BONE STOCK ELIGE tub with their stuff. Then they send it back to Europe where it gets the LS9 and is imported to the US again, this time reiceving it's new Hennessey title. Final assembley takes place here. When I get bored with my Elise in a few years, the Venom will inspire some über mods

Just moved to Phoenix, anyone else here?
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
3Xtothe0[]

Looks like they took the pics of the car off....

But you can see it here...http://todayentertainment.today.msnb...legal-car?lite

2006 GG Elise Touring/HT/Starshield/Janspeed Stage II Sport exhaust/MM/Multivex/Nitto Invo replacements for rears [which are pretty damn good]
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
1200plus bhp......sounds a bit like another "James Dean" story about to happen......money doesn't buy you driving talent.
"James Dean’s 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder: In addition to being the reigning King of Cool before Steve McQueen, James Dean was also an accomplished race driver. Like McQueen, Dean favored Porsches. After trading up from a 356 Speedster to a 550 Spyder, a purpose-built race car, Dean started to come into his own as a driver. Sadly, he was killed on Sept. 30, 1955, driving the car to a race in Salinas, Calif. The remains of the car were transported around the country as part of a driver’s ed campaign (ironically, the accident had nothing to do with Dean’s driving). The car disappeared during one of these tours, never to be seen again."

Legendary Lost Cars

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow99s View Post
I spoke to the Hennessey reps at SEMA and no, it does not have an Elige title or registration. They import the cars partially built from Lotus, disassemble them and rebuild the BONE STOCK ELIGE tub with their stuff. Then they send it back to Europe where it gets the LS9 and is imported to the US again, this time reiceving it's new Hennessey title. Final assembley takes place here. When I get bored with my Elise in a few years, the Venom will inspire some über mods
Hmmmm, that's not the exact story I got at Hennessey when I stopped by there to check on Ross's engine and get a tour of their shop (amazing place). Perhaps the official story differs for "tax purposes." At least in the case of this car, it allegedly started life as a full CA car, rolled eight miles up on the odometer and then was disassembled for the "conversion" and process of being sent to Europe and back again. Supposedly the other cars started as whole Elises in Europe, parts were stripped and sold there and what was left was brought to the US as the basis for those builds.

Allegedly and supposedly though, I can't say with any certainty.

If I had the cash-ish I'd ask for a naturally aspirated version, with half the horsepower, and proceed to track it. To me that sounds like a fun way of dying.

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
1200plus bhp......sounds a bit like another "James Dean" story about to happen......money doesn't buy you driving talent.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the guy doesn't have dozens of track days under his belt?
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavila View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the guy doesn't have dozens of track days under his belt?
I do not think that having a few track days under your belt will exclude you from the possibility of that kind of outcome...
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM

Not even a lifetime of experience in fast cars will. Does the name Ayrton ring anyone's bells?!

If you're going to go faster than your body was designed to move, ie walk or run, you're going to risk that outcome no matter who you are.
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM

I just think it's a bit pointless to criticize every athlete, rock star or actor who buys a supercar, or every investment banker, CEO, lawyer, or doctor who buys a Porsche because they don't have the skills or "talent" to drive it. Even more so if you can't comment on what driving/racing schools or track days they have or have not done. A significant majority of the people on this forum would probably jump at the chance to own a supercar if it was an easy purchase based on net worth or annual income, regardless of driving talent.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavila View Post
I just think it's a bit pointless to criticize every athlete, rock star or actor who buys a supercar, or every investment banker, CEO, lawyer, or doctor who buys a Porsche because they don't have the skills or "talent" to drive it. Even more so if you can't comment on what driving/racing schools or track days they have or have not done. A significant majority of the people on this forum would probably jump at the chance to own a supercar if it was an easy purchase based on net worth or annual income, regardless of driving talent.

Heck if I had the money.... I would buy a formula 1 just cause I can... and every color of this venom .

2006 Lotus Elise CO
2003 C32 amg
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 AM

LOL, 1.1million = 8.536 million HKD, when it arrive HK after the tax it will be more than 10 million HKD.

With that I will go for 918 P car and have a GT2 RS + a 911TTS for DD.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Driver!

No lie, on saturday of last weekend I was driving through an area in L.A. (not sure where, I was just cruising). A venom Gt in black flew past me, it had to have been steven's spyder... It's the only one right? I previously seen it at cars and coffee the week before. I can't believe I passed Steven on the road going the opposite direction!!!! That thing sounded like a beast, and looked so aggresive! I about shat my pants!
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeflash View Post
No lie, on saturday of last weekend I was driving through an area in L.A. (not sure where, I was just cruising). A venom Gt in black flew past me, it had to have been steven's spyder... It's the only one right? I previously seen it at cars and coffee the week before. I can't believe I passed Steven on the road going the opposite direction!!!! That thing sounded like a beast, and looked so aggresive! I about shat my pants!
sorry about that, i will try not to rev so hard next time
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee.engineer View Post
sorry about that, i will try not to rev so hard next time
Lmao. Love it.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 AM

Is it just me or does the front clam's paint not match the rest of the car? Both silver, but not the same shade. Had to google who Steven Tyler is... My god... is it a dude or a chick? Ugly as **** either way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in