Elise Guru

Done! Welcome to D-Mod.

Cosworth -

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Seb
BANNED

Jim Russell Racing School Announces Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Experience : Auto News

It's being used in a formula car... I would say its versatile.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Jim Russell Racing School Announces Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Experience : Auto News

It's being used in a formula car... I would say its versatile.

Umm, a Formula car that has wings for downforce, slicks and the weight of the engine and transmission over the rear wheels, it is of little relevance to the car in question.

You are missing the point, the mitsubishi engine is fantastic, but there is no need to suggest it when the Duratec is just as good or better for this application.

www.morgansegal.com

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
+1

Seb, you're missing the point of the Caterham/Toniq/Seven/etc... it's light, so it doesn't need much torque to accelerate very quickly. On the other hand, it's got a miserable coefficient of drag, and without a lot of horsepower, is aero limited to a relatively low top speed. Kind of like the Elise/Exige.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
rnr

Quote:
There are some folks who have built silly big turbo motors in Sevens, they brag about how great it is, but after some prodding they admit they mostly have straight roads to drive on. Sort of not the point of these kinds cars
I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Different people have different wants - I just picked up a WCM Ultralite (1300 lbs/240 bhp) and I bought it for the ridiculous acceleration rather than handling (though the handling isnt bad either).

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

Did I mention how amazing the Toniq is? If not, I want to say it is an amazing vehicle!

CHEERS!

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls." ~Joseph Campbell
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Different people have different wants - I just picked up a WCM Ultralite (1300 lbs/240 bhp) and I bought it for the ridiculous acceleration rather than handling (though the handling isnt bad either).
That's exactly my point, all they were doing with it is driving in a straight line, that's why they think having 450hp in a seven is "useful"

As a matter of fact, one of the guys with a big hp 7 came out here to visit and I made him sick with my measly 200hp on the twisty roads

www.morgansegal.com

Last edited by mopho; 09-23-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact, one of the guys with a big hp 7 came out here to visit and I made him sick with my measly 200hp on the twisty roads
I led the LOONYs on a trip through the back roads of PA.....I led in my Caterham with 147HP crossflow. They were driving 200HP plus Caterhams. and there were 3 Elises. They had a good time keeping up with me. They were using all of their HP and handling...

Yes...I have driven all sorts of Sevens...most was a 240HP car. to be honest...while it does take your breath away....I have more fun with my Crossflow Caterham. Always shifting...having to keep the speed up in the corners...

I will put a Duratec or Zetec in when I lose this one...but till then I like the driving..

Edit Thurs morn....This is not to take anything away from the Toniq....looks like a lot of fun. My point was that HP is not everything when it comes to Sevens...it is the drive....the wind....the noise....the assualt on the senses.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.

Last edited by tvacc; 09-24-2009 at 05:04 AM.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 AM
rnr

Quote:
That's exactly my point, all they were doing with it is driving in a straight line, that's why they think having 450hp in a seven is "useful"
It is useful if that is what you want. My point is that while 450-500 hp is not useful for YOU, there other people in this world who want a car that can do insane things in a straight line and its not our place to judge. Check out this 380hp 7 that finished 3rd overall in One Lap of America: Mojito: Ultralite S2K SC. A lotus 7 replica powered by a Honda S2000 2.2L . running on Bio-mass fuel - Atlanta, Georgia

Now back to your regularly scheduled Toniq programming

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Randy, one thing that gets me stoked about a Caterham is the opportunity to build the entire car with my son. Any chance the Toniq will have the same option?

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Done! Welcome to D-Mod.

Cosworth -
thats tasty!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
It is useful if that is what you want. My point is that while 450-500 hp is not useful for YOU, there other people in this world who want a car that can do insane things in a straight line and its not our place to judge. Check out this 380hp 7 that finished 3rd overall in One Lap of America: Mojito: Ultralite S2K SC. A lotus 7 replica powered by a Honda S2000 2.2L . running on Bio-mass fuel - Atlanta, Georgia

Now back to your regularly scheduled Toniq programming
I understand that people have different wants, but why take a car that is designed to have a balance between power and handling , a car that was never about running big horsepower or driving in straight lines, and then make it unbalanced and use it just for driving in straight lines? There are better choices for that. Do you think the Lotus Elise is meant to drive in straight lines?

Additionally, and perhaps I wasn't clear, but I wasn't necessarily judging them for driving on straight roads, I was suggesting that I ended up understanding why they couldn't really see what the drawback of having all that power because they only were using them on straight type roads.
The roads here, with that much power in a seven, you would either be spending all your time pussyfooting the throttle or waiting for the rescue crews to pull you out of the ravine

Also, I know all about Mojito, but he runs high speed events, sometimes on ovals, where he needs the power for top speed (and notice how he has to run all kinds of wings on it). Randy is talking about AX the car, which it seems to me, running big power would make your times go up in smoke, literally

www.morgansegal.com
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtr View Post
Randy, one thing that gets me stoked about a Caterham is the opportunity to build the entire car with my son. Any chance the Toniq will have the same option?
Yes, the Toniq will be available as a full kit as well as a roller.

Robert Puertas
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Randy is talking about AX the car, which it seems to me, running big power would make your times go up in smoke, literally

Sweet...sweet smoke.

Have you ever seen me autocross the Noble?

Tire budget for Hoosiers....

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM

My sons were 5 and 7 when I built my Caterham. they are now in their 20's.

Although they were around then...and sat in the car....messed around it...but they and I really missed the build it together thing.

Then about 2 years ago, a fellow LOONY bought a Caterham and asked me if I wanted to help him build it. My son and I spent about 15 hours over a few weeks building it. Great fun.

Then about a year ago my son and I bought back my old Elan with a full Spyder conversion and rebuilt that car. I have had great fun doing this and it is something that I will treasure always.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
Sweet...sweet smoke.

Have you ever seen me autocross the Noble?

Tire budget for Hoosiers....
Oy...tire budget

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls." ~Joseph Campbell
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Adrenaline View Post
Oy...tire budget
Much cheaper on the Toniq!

Robert Puertas
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Puertas View Post
Yes, the Toniq will be available as a full kit as well as a roller.

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Puertas View Post
Much cheaper on the Toniq!
Fantastic!
In that case, I will buy two Toniqs please

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM

The TONIQ was officially released today for North America. Pricing and specifications can be found at British Racing Group, L.L.C.. There are 3 models including; the Toniq CB, Toniq CB Spec and Toniq CB Launch Edition. The first cars will be delivered to their owners in second quarter 2010. The Launch edition features a 5% discount off the standard CB and includes paint upgrade and commemorative build plate. Prices start at $32k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in