New Product Interest Check - SCCA LEGAL BWR Penske Double Adjustable shocks - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By fzust
  • 1 Post By jdawson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

New Product Interest Check - SCCA LEGAL BWR Penske Double Adjustable shocks

Every now and then, we get interest in SCCA legal version of our Penskes. To be legal in SCCA street classes you have to run the stock springs AND run the perches at the stock height.

We've been doing class-winning Penskes since 2006 or so. The problem is the standard Body is too big to fit the narrow stock springs. Additionally, special drop-perches are required to hit the stock ride-height. Most people don't care and rightfully so.

However, I've been working with Penske on a narrower body version to maybe do a special run of double adjustable dampers with Canisters for folks that want to play at the pointy-end and be SCCA legal.

A couple of notes:

1. These will have our latest A street / SS valving that is optimized to run with limited stock spring rate and make maximum use of our stiff front bar to make the car rail through transitions and plant the inside rear on corner exit. This is proven valving to work with LSS springs(the best choice) If you are wondering about track-pack, they are variable-rate and awful, just do a search....

2. The Valving will have enough range to be used with race springs later for whatever you want to do.

3. They will be better than stock ride on the street.

4. Larger diameter spring seats will be available if you want to use with more common size springs such as 2" or 2.25"

5. Given that these will be custom machined and have canisters & hoses, chassis mounts, and special machining they will likely be more expensive than our current double adjustable Penske, but hopefully not too much.

Now the the Elise is in A-Street and the Exige 220/240 is in SS, there is an opportunity for these cars to be winners in true, arrive and drive fashion.

In order for this to be cost-effective, I am looking to do a "group buy". Not a huge savings(see point 5 above), but the reduce the custom machining cost to manageable levels for everyone participating.

Please note your interest below and how serious the interest is.

Attached is a reference pic. Shocks will appear a bit different, but the concept is the same.....
Attached Images

Harix and oldmansan like this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM
The Enforcer

A great way to increase the market base and deliver a great suspension alternative to those looking for this specific option. Brilliant!

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Thanks! It always bugged me there wasn't a great solution. Even the old Ohlins street shocks weren't that hot and needed re-valving in the worst way.... We'll do it right and give people an option they can use for everything.

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 PM

Well, as I was the impetus for this, you KNOW I'm in!

What I like, is that in reality, the Penskes are the BEST shock for racing or driving faster.. WITH the side benefit of an improved ride for the street!

AND! To me, from a "autocross/racer guy" is that you can improve you car to TRUE race car type quality and NOT have to be bumped up to a class where you need to buy more and more parts to be competitive! (The current "car(s)" to have in SCCA AStreet are the same as when the Elise arrived!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:20 AM

Are these available for the Evora yet???
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Much of the work is done for the Evora setup, but it isn't finished yet.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
I'm interested. I've only had my Elise for a couple of months but realize that the LSS setup could use improvement. I was thinking of getting the Penske NAs but would like to stay in AStreet. I'm serious about the NAs and would seriously consider this setup. I'm somewhat price sensitive as I have a few other items on my to do list...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
I'm interested. I've only had my Elise for a couple of months but realize that the LSS setup could use improvement. I was thinking of getting the Penske NAs but would like to stay in AStreet. I'm serious about the NAs and would seriously consider this setup. I'm somewhat price sensitive as I have a few other items on my to do list...
And that is why we have multiple flavors!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:36 PM

I can’t say enough good things about my narrow body Penskes.

Props to Fred & Alex for working on offering small-quantity damper solutions to niche groups.
6TVRs+ likes this.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > Blackwatch Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in