Advice on Personal Garage - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRJock View Post
No problem getting any of the cars I've put on the lift over the jack (Jetta, Miata, e30, Mk1 Rabbit, A4). I've not had the Lotus on the lift yet, just under it. I'm a bit worried about clearance at the ramps. I think it should be fine (I have LSS), but I'm going to have a spotter the first time I try to put the car on there.

I can't believe how easily the lift went together. Three of us did it in a few hours.

Two things:

a) You put the cross-bars on the uprights (This is why it helps to have a few people, because it's handy if somebody can keep those from getting knocked over while you're doing this). What they don't tell you is that you have to put the lock ladder in at some point. We put it in first, then used a piece of rope to pull the safety pulley in each crossbar so that it could be lowered. It would be easier to put the crossbars in, then put in the lock ladder but you either have to tip the assembly over or have really tall ceilings. But don't put the cross bar in all the way at the bottom. You have to get under there to bolt things up and to route the cables. They're very unclear about this in the instructions. We assembled it with the bars at the bottom, then used a hoist and floor jack to raise the lift up enough to get under and hook stuff up. I wasn't super impressed with the instructions, but luckily there's not much to the thing...

b) They powdercoated the studs that you hook the heim joints onto that hold on the unlock rods (You'll see when you're putting it together). You'll need to clean those up or you'll never get the nuts on there.
Thanks a ton Paul, sometimes it's amazing how much easier it is to do these things with a little instruction from someone who's already done it. Luckily, I do have help on Sat.

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM

Getting back to this thread...

My son is in a band that needed a place to practice. They rented a storage "garage" at a local storage facility that's out in the boonies. They can make all the noise that they want.

A couple of the garages are rented by some guys that work on their old muscle cars. They gather around on the weekends and fire up the compressor and start working. That might be possible at other storage places too...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
Getting back to this thread...

My son is in a band that needed a place to practice. They rented a storage "garage" at a local storage facility that's out in the boonies. They can make all the noise that they want.

A couple of the garages are rented by some guys that work on their old muscle cars. They gather around on the weekends and fire up the compressor and start working. That might be possible at other storage places too...
That's an anomaly. When we looked around for something similar we found that all the rental agreements that we looked at prohibited doing any work of any kind in the facilities. They were for strictly for storage only. I can understand from a liability perspective.

Paul Parkanzky
Magnetic Blue with Biscuit Touring, LSS, Starshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in