Anyone used Garage Car Lifts for parking 2 cars - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Anyone used Garage Car Lifts for parking 2 cars

Has anyone used a lift like this with the Elise? Garage space is becoming a premium and side by side is out. Dont want to leave the Lotus on the street. Let me know if you have had good or bad experiences with this. These are spendy at $3 to 5K w/o install.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM

I never done it myself, but I know a few shops who do this.

post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:49 PM

i love parking it on the street now. i find this car to be the perfect blend between tough and frail. it's at both extremes. so now i'm just expecting it to get keyed and smashed into, but all the violent thugs just stare and delicately admire. reverse psychology! seriously.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

You have bigger cahungas than me. I have seen way to many cars get keyed, kicked and just messed with. I also dont want to leave my car constantly in the rain.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 PM

I have one, a Superlifts, that I bought through Detailer's Paradise.

It works great, not only does it keep the Elise out of the way when she's hibernating for the winter, it also makes maintenance and modification that much easier. As low as the Elise sits, I can put her almost to the highest lock (about 6') with just my 10' ceiling.

Pictures here.
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...elise%27s+home

I installed my own, with no help other than some rollers to move the heavy parts around and my floor jack to pick the tracks up. It took about three hours. Good ones can (could last year anyway) be found for under $3K.

Long summer days, and beautiful country
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 AM

who makes that lift? Where would you order one?
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:12 AM

I have the Backyard Buddy extended height lift.

post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 AM

I have had a parking lift since 1991. I bought the first one advertised in Road and Track. It was called Parking Solutions. they are now out of business. It has been great.

A few of the LOONYs (Lotus Owners of New York) own lifts from Eagle Lift.
You can google them. The web site is http://www.eagleequip.com/.

I had a friend and Elise owner...Dave R. He was and engineer for Xerox...and I respected his abilities greatly. He researched and reseached everything...and when he bought...he bought Eagle. I have seen the units...very nice and they are well built. Dave has passed on to the big Lotus garage in the sky...but his wife still has the lift.

I would go with Eagle if I buy another.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumn8r
As low as the Elise sits, I can put her almost to the highest lock (about 6') with just my 10' ceiling.
I had to dispose of my Boxster S to make room for the Exige (no regrets there) but did not consider this alternative due to my 10' ceiling. Do you have any contact info on your source.

Exige Storm Titanium, Track Package, Traction Control and Touring Package. Katana Supercharger, Charliex tune, Moroso oil pan, HD Oil pump, H&R valve springs, HD Engine Mounts, Larini Sport 8, Larini de-cat, blueprinted gearbox, Fire Extinguisher, Harness Stroh ASM, DBA5000 Rotors, Pagid Black RS14, Motul 600 Brake Fluid, Boomerang Rear Hook, Team Dynamics Wheels with Hoosiers R6, Toyo R888, Toda Racing Flywheel, ACT Clutch Strip Disc, Multivex
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 AM

I have 10 foot ceilings as well. Most of the lifts allow for 10 foot. My friend has his Eagle lift in a 10foot space. This is really not a problem.

you can google backyard buddy. http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 AM

I would recommend getting them. If you are so mechanically inclined, you can do the install yourself with some friends.. Its just takes awhile. Make sure you have high enough ceilings though!

Last edited by Ginetta; 09-22-2006 at 08:34 AM.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - the backyard buddy looks impressive at least from the promotional video.
When the lift is in the down position, does the Elise "scrape" at all trying to go up the ramps? Also, how hard is it to align the car to drive up the ramp? Do you need an extra person to guide you?
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusChris
Thanks - the backyard buddy looks impressive at least from the promotional video.
When the lift is in the down position, does the Elise "scrape" at all trying to go up the ramps? Also, how hard is it to align the car to drive up the ramp? Do you need an extra person to guide you?
No front clam clearance problem getting the Elise on the ramp. I put mine on the lift with no outside assistance. Just center yourself between the uprights. Once you've done it a couple of times, it's a snap. I also suggest getting the optional drip pans just in case. You will need access to a 20A circuit in the garage also.
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvacc
I have 10 foot ceilings as well. Most of the lifts allow for 10 foot. My friend has his Eagle lift in a 10foot space. This is really not a problem.

you can google backyard buddy. http://www.backyardbuddy.com/
Their website doesn't have prices, what range and price point are they?

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:25 AM

These seem to run in the 2-3k range. Look at the Eagle Lifts...they are very nice.

Tony Vaccaro
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 AM

they have prices. run through setting up an order and click "buy" and the price is there. or just look at the prices per option.

110v about 125, 220v about doundle that

sliding or rolling jack
casters

and the lift itself.

i looked at 7000lb, 110v, rolling jack. priced around 1895 if i recall.

Storm Titanium, LSS, touring, hard top. my other car is a ...oh yeah i remember the other car...a spyder. no, wait. some dumb bitch ran a light and destroyed the spyder. now it is a 4 runner trail edition
club111 member. i tried to buy a lower spot and become member #13 but was spurned!

fun around every turn

Last edited by LotusLust; 09-22-2006 at 11:35 AM.
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM

I would be mighty nervous using one of those here on the Pacific Rim , earthquakes are not uncommon. Wonder how it would do in a moderate
quake?
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:48 AM

earthquake smurfquake. thats what insurance is for! it would suck though.

but i think if it was that bad than the entire building would come down.

my friend uses a lift like this to hold his 100k plus street rods up in his shop. si i thik a 1900 pound elise should be no problem even in a moderate quake.
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Don't stand there with your garage door closed and say 'yes, it will fit'. Keep in mind that no matter how tall your ceiling is in your garage, the garage door, when open, is only probably about 7' high from the floor. If you aren't able to install the lift far forward in your garage, you may need to change the track on the garage door, so the door goes all the way to the ceiling. I wanted to do that, but then the electric opener wouldn't work because of a steel beam running across the ceiling. Each solution to a problem resulted in another problem. Plan carefully.

Modifying the garage might be far tougher than assembling the lift.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacyTracy
Don't stand there with your garage door closed and say 'yes, it will fit'. Keep in mind that no matter how tall your ceiling is in your garage, the garage door, when open, is only probably about 7' high from the floor. If you aren't able to install the lift far forward in your garage, you may need to change the track on the garage door, so the door goes all the way to the ceiling. I wanted to do that, but then the electric opener wouldn't work because of a steel beam running across the ceiling. Each solution to a problem resulted in another problem. Plan carefully.

Modifying the garage might be far tougher than assembling the lift.
A friend of mine had the same problem. He got around it by installing a roll up garage door (similar to the type you see in warehouses). His is made for residential use and looks surprisingly similar to a standard garage door. It only needs about 18 inches of space above the door opening.

68 Mustang Fastback, Highland Green (Bullitt)

RIP - NFB, Biscuit, Touring, Stage II, Gull Wing Top, V-1, Ragnorak Mirror, Painted console, RC-10 Remote, Ipod adapter, Polk DB400 & DB650 upgrade, Trunk Bootie,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in