Anyone used Garage Car Lifts for parking 2 cars - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacyTracy
then the electric opener wouldn't work because of a steel beam running across the ceiling. Each solution to a problem resulted in another problem. Plan carefully.

Modifying the garage might be far tougher than assembling the lift.
They make garage door openers that sit on the top of the door frame. Here's a site for them: http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp - they leave the ceiling clear. Probably around $300...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM

I have had a lift for 5 years....and it is great. I would definitly get a 4 versus 2 post.

Mine was from Aresco in Michigan - it was 2300 installed. I think the brand was Grant.

Wach ceiling heigh (I fit my shelby cobra and vette with a std ceiling). Also watch the gargage door as it rolls-up. If you need room from the door you can get an extension that allows the tracks to run at the ceiling versus 18 inches dropped.

Jeff
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM

Make sure you check the height of your ceiling! keep in mind those lift only locks in a set intervals like 4" or 6" - and it has to go up a little bit before it comes down again - my garage is 2" not tall enough to let me put a parking lift in!
My other car is the same height as the Elise already.

I have talked to one of the salesmans, a very nice guy (too bad I forgot which company) he went through all the trouble with me trying to get the lift fitted inside my garage but we failed.

He told me some of his clients had their lifts went through the Northridge earthquake with no problem - just make sure they are not bolted down (or ur car will fell off) I would assume it's a safer place for my Elise to be if the roof of the garage will fall down .

There are also companies that make garage door with the motor on the side of the door.

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
They make garage door openers that sit on the top of the door frame. Here's a site for them: http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp - they leave the ceiling clear. Probably around $300...
And this allows you to reposition the garage door tracks?

Does an open garage door need to be parallel to the ground or can it stay in place at an angle? Most garage doors roll back and bend abruptly making a 90 degree turn. Can you just change the tracks to have them go up and then retract at a 45 degree angle?

I plan on getting a lift as soon as I move to my next house. The house is being built with traditional doors and tracks, but I'm not having garage door openers installed by the builder for this very reason.

I think I'll have tall enough ceilings.

'06 BMW X5 - IMOLA RED
'06 Porsche 911 Carrera S - CARRERA WHITE [SOLD]
'02 BMW 325xiT - TOPAZ BLUE
'88 BMW M5 - BLACK [SOLD]
'02 Ducati 998S Bayliss - RED, WHITE & GREEN
'06 Lotus Exige - ARDENT RED [TRADED]

Last edited by Exigent; 01-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent

Does an open garage door need to be parallel to the ground or can it stay in place at an angle? Most garage doors roll back and bend abruptly making a 90 degree turn. Can you just change the tracks to have them go up and then retract at a 45 degree angle?

I plan on getting a lift as soon as I move to my next house. The house is being built with traditional doors and tracks, but I'm not having garage door openers installed by the builder for this very reason.
No, but it removes the opener from being centered between and at the same height as the tracks.

You can have all sorts of custom options done with track configuration, but it wll start to get "custom" and expensive. I looked into it when I did my garage (nothing fancy, just repairs & rebuilding, really). In my case, I found it much more economical to drop the track down from the 10' ceiling to my opening height of ~7' and go with an off-the-shelf "low overhead kit."

For the first four feet of depth into my garage, the ceiling is the roof line. As a result, I had no room to make a 90 degree bend for the door and my top panel pulls straight back from the opening.

What I really wanted was a roll-up door.

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxster
I had to dispose of my Boxster S to make room for the Exige (no regrets there) but did not consider this alternative due to my 10' ceiling. Do you have any contact info on your source.
The manufacturers website http://www.superlifts.com/. Nick (Detailer's Paradise) can get you all the information about ordering one.

Long summer days, and beautiful country
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacyTracy
Don't stand there with your garage door closed and say 'yes, it will fit'. Keep in mind that no matter how tall your ceiling is in your garage, the garage door, when open, is only probably about 7' high from the floor. If you aren't able to install the lift far forward in your garage, you may need to change the track on the garage door, so the door goes all the way to the ceiling. I wanted to do that, but then the electric opener wouldn't work because of a steel beam running across the ceiling. Each solution to a problem resulted in another problem. Plan carefully.

Modifying the garage might be far tougher than assembling the lift.
That's why my garage is 32' deep. The lift is well away from the door. Even without the lift I could get the Elise and Neon nose to tail.

post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtveloce
Make sure you check the height of your ceiling! keep in mind those lift only locks in a set intervals like 4" or 6" - and it has to go up a little bit before it comes down again - my garage is 2" not tall enough to let me put a parking lift in!
My other car is the same height as the Elise already.
The Superlift has a lock at 18 inches and then nice locks between 3 and 6 feet. Very versatile.

post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:

With the wall mount garage door opener, the opener is no longer suspended in the center of the ceiling.

The garage door track can be extended up wards - instead of the track curving horizontal just above the door opening, the "bend" can be moved up so that the door continues to be horizontal, just at a level just below the ceiling instead of at the height of the top of the door (on in your case, just below the bottom of the beam in the photo). Additionally, if the ceiling is say an extra 4 feet high above the door, then the first four feet of the garage door can still be "parked" vertically (and in the bend). You still have the same eight feet or so of garage door, it just doesn't stick "into" the garage as far.

Slide up garage doors are help up in two ways. Mine uses springs stretched along the horizontal part of the track that pull a cable over a pulley and attached to the bottom of the door. The other way of doing it is to have a torsion spring above the garage door - the spring applies it's force to a shaft with a drum on each end. The cable from the bottom of the door wraps around the drum - as the door raises, the torsion spring unwinds and winds up the cable "lifting" the door. Both of these systems use the springs to support some for the weight of the door so that you can lift the door by hand.

In the case of the wall mount garage door opener, the motor attaches to that shaft and adds its force to lift the door automatically (just like a regular garage door opener "pulls" the door up from the top.

In your case, since you appear to be having your house built, it should be a marginal increase in cost to specify that the builder adds the vertical track extension (cheap) and uses a torsional spring to support the door. You may also want them to source the wall mount door opener, especially if a door opener is part of the build.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:17 PM

for those with std ceilings, consider notching the ceiling where the roof of the car is....that will give you a foot or two depending on the car. I have read several posts on other sites where guys have done this. Just make sure the ceiling is structural sound.

Jeff
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Modern Day Hippie

This seems like a great solution to get my Bimmer into the house and off the streets. I wonder how the HOA would feel about it since I share the garage with 8 others?

You become who you surround yourself with - Sorinne Ardeleanu

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Some local regulations (including where I live) do require the door to be parallel to the floor when open. In the event a cable or spring breaks, the door won't come crashing down on someone.
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 PM

I have 2 Perfect park 7000's and a Eagle 9000 2 post. I'll shoot some pics of the door's and lifts tomorrow.

2006 Time Magazine Person of the year
post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 PM

Have one and love it -- got mine back in 1988 and it's still working. It survived the "Big One" in Cali in 1995 and didn't drop a car.
Attached Images

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Modern Day Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Have one and love it -- got mine back in 1988 and it's still working. It survived the "Big One" in Cali in 1995 and didn't drop a car.
Show off. I want your garage. That's great that they are earthquake safe. I keep wondering what's going to happen when my building collapses and my poor little car is smashed inside.

You become who you surround yourself with - Sorinne Ardeleanu

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 PM

I was thinking about getting this one.

http://www.gesusa.com/ges4less/produ...category=58002

With a 2 car garage, I can put this on the right-hand-side garage bay and there would be no posts in the middle part of my garage.

'06 BMW X5 - IMOLA RED
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Garage
A great idea if you have the space. My ceiling is 10' so it works great. I'm in the city so switching cars is tricky as parking is a problem and you have to park 2 cars when switching. I usually only do this on Sundays when it's not so tricky. Watch your head! Lots of ducking! Also, I had to scrap my regular center mounted opener system and switch to one that mounts directly over the opening.
Attached Images

Boomerang for modern SD
*2011 Lotus Evora. Aquamarine/Oyster
*1973 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300. Blu Scurro&Bianco Avorio/Saddle Tan
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm01
A great idea if you have the space. My ceiling is 10' so it works great. I'm in the city so switching cars is tricky as parking is a problem and you have to park 2 cars when switching. I usually only do this on Sundays when it's not so tricky. Watch your head! Lots of ducking! Also, I had to scrap my regular center mounted opener system and switch to one that mounts directly over the opening.
I saw that set-up on HGTV's "What You Get For The Money". Nice.

(just seems a bit narrow -- how do you get around the car & into the house?)

'06 BMW X5 - IMOLA RED
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Exigent,
That single post lift looks great but why would they sell stablaizing jacks? Go to the backyardbuddy.com and watch the video on the features. I think this would be a good starting point from a safety standpoint. The single jack version just seems like it would be unsteady. The company would obviously have thought of this because of lawsuits etc...right??
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack

Hey...is that a parking solutions lift? I think it is...It looks like mine. I often wonder what happaned to them. I sometimes wonder if they went out of business because of something failing! I ordered mine in 1990 and it took them almost 9 months to get it to me. Parking Solutions made all sorts of lifts for quite a while. The made a cycle lift...a workshop lift (you put your workshop on it and up it went out of the way)....Does anybody know what happaned to them?

As to the garage door...it was only about $150 for the a guy to come in and put 2 foot extensions on my tracks. They now go up another 2 foot before they go horizontal. Works good...but I still cannot put a hatch back on the lift without lowering the door..and then keeping it down until I lower the hatch back out..

I will get some pics tomorrow and post them.. I have my sons Jetta on it tonight changing the oil.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in