Bulk fastener options - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bulk fastener options

I'm building out my garage/shop space to work on my 2017 Evora 400 track car. I'm looking for some options to put together a good bulk set of fasteners (bolts, nuts, washers, body clips, etc.) so that I know I always have some on hand. I know that there are many specialty fasteners that I'll need to order from Lotus, but there are also just a ton of fairly standard M8, M10, etc. hex bolts, cap bolts, too. I've been sourcing some options but it's all pretty piecemeal from what I'm finding. I'd love to just buy a giant "stock your auto shop" bin with a great assortment of high quality fasteners that will cover my bases. Anyone have a lead on something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM

I think you will find that a generic selection will have a bunch of stuff you never use
McMaster Carr has pretty good pricing and qty by the box
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Reach out to BOE, they actually sell a Lotus hardware kit, though their website is showing it as out of stock at present.

https://www.boefab.com/collections/e...s-hardware-kit

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM

This will be the single best investment you make... My life changed when I did, instead of losing hours hunting down bolts adhoc I now just keep inventory of everything.

I couldn't find any premade assortments with bolts I trusted. Run as fast as you can from the Chinese crap on Amazon. Most are not marked with grades, the ones that are have reviews questioning the accuracy of those ratings.

I ended up buying every length of M6 and M8 bolt, nut, and washer from boltdepot.com. JIS 10.9 spec on all of them. I also purchased the gray metal storage boxes. I forget who makes them ATM. Durham?

As a result I now replace every OEM one once I touch it. Getting those 10 year bolts out with new JIS STD ones is so much nicer.

Let me know what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:20 PM

My local hardware store went out of business a few years ago[luckily replaced by an even better one] and they sold their entire hardware stock for 5 bucks a drawer. If you bought 5 you got the carrier.

Prior to owning the Exige I was in need of grade 5 fine, and bought the stack, unfortunately the 3/8 had already been bought. I replaced it with a selection of AN fasteners. Boy do I wish I had been there a week earlier. I do have quite the selection of set screws, strain reliefs and other stuff

If I were considering this project, I would sit down in front of the TV with the parts manual and start writing down the fasteners. There are only so many they use.

I have a drawer of m5 and m6 SS nyloc, m5 and 6 standard and large pattern ss washers. The Exige uses a lot of hex head m5x16 and 20 for trivia, I bought a box of SS for those.

For a race car you don't need all the interior screws, but Lotus does not kill you on those, and it is nice to have fresh ones sometimes. Buying a bunch of the plastic fasteners also won't kill you, and again, nice to have new.

On the Elise/Exige, they use a ton of the small hex flange head screws[exhaust hanger for instance] and it would be nice to get the right thing so you do no tneed two wrenches to undo one set of fasteners.

The small head flange heads are possibly IFI 536 / ISO 4162 , they have an 8mm head on an 6mm screw, rather than a 10mm. Two different local hardware stores have a mix in their drawers, but the small head are definitely rare

At the end of the day, what are you going to wear out?

4,6,8 mm.

Mostly hex head, some button socket, some socket cap, some cheese head[metric pan head] and a few torx.

A prefab selection is going to disappoint. too few of what you need a bunch of what you don't and none of the odd.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:28 PM

I did what mwhenes did and bought a ton of different size M5-m10 and M10 fine. I also bought 5 of each of the suspension bolts and throw them out 100% if they are ever removed. I've spent like $300 in the 2 years ince I have done this and have now a mostly full collection that is stable. If you were working on an elise I could even share the parts list!

I bought mine from bel metric. 10.9 JIS head or even 10.9 small head if you want.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in