Co-op Garage? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Co-op Garage?

I live in a densely populated beach town south of Los Angeles. This means my gradually expanding resume of car projects is rapidly reaching the limits of my garage and parking (and my wife's normally temperate nature).

Several buddies of mine are in a similar boat: we need space to store and work on our cars. Ideally it would be clean and climate-controlled; in a secure area and have facilities for lifts, air and tools. Maybe a co-op type situation where we all go in on a building and then each pay our share of the costs.

I figured this is such an obvious thing, it must exist already...

Does anyone know of garage co-ops in South Bay Los Angeles? Any experience with them or advice if we start our own?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
alp
likes to drive fast

I was just thinking about asking this.

And I found this last week:

Newport Harbor Drivers Club is a private membership classic and exotic car club located in Costa Mesa, California where classic and exotic auto enthusiasts can socialize, work on their cars and share experiences. Garry Roberts, Maestrejuan.

You can store cars there but not sure about parts (maybe there's a small lockable area). As for lifts...not so sure. Then again they do have a machine shop...

2009 Exige S260
2011 Evora [sold]
2005 Elise [sold]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

I've been searching for a similar setup anywhere in LA with little luck so far. I'm interested to hear if anybody has any other options. NHD Club sounds a little too social for my needs. I just want a good secure garage where I can work. Let me know if you and your buddies decided to start your own and want another person to split it with.

2005 Arctic Silver Lotus Elise (FF275 w/EFI tuned by DRS)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganporkchop View Post
Let me know if you and your buddies decided to start your own and want another person to split it with.
Will do. Looking around at commercial real estate and there are some good deals right now. We are thinking a co-op/LLC that rents the property and each member does their own thing in their allocated area. Would likely provide shop air, HVAC, and around 15'x20' or so space per lot (big enough to install a lift and tool boxes, etc). All depends on the location and number of people interested. Targeting ~$500/mo each with buy-in (commitment) to the co-op. Would definitely be in the south bay area of LA.

PM me with your email address if you are interested. All very preliminary right now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 PM

Also, think real estate crisis & hard luck win-wins. I.E. ... person is needing to supplement their income and has an extra garage space in a nice & close area they'll rent out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Our local shop here (Shade Tree DIY in OKC) just charges by the hour, which includes lifts. Somethings are extra (air), but at $20/hr they are quite reasonable. Tools are provided, and they have quite a few specialty ones. Discounted parts (quick) when you need them also helps. Here's a link for more questions:

http://TheShadeTreeDIY.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Thanks, all data points appreciated. We are so congested here in LA, the ability to store the cars and also work on them is key for me/us. The car club provides storage and socialization (both good) but maybe not the freedom to leave a project car on a lift and work on it over a period of weeks or month (maybe with another parked underneith). The by-the-hour garage rental deals have all the equipment (also good) but not the ability to leave the cars there.

We are looking for both: local secure storage and the freedom to escape the family a few nights a week to get greasy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM

Great idea

2008 Exige S 240
2010 Toyota FJ TRD
2015 BMW M235 Convertible
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1978 Toyota FJ40

2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40 Sailboat
1973 Colombia 26 MK11 sailboat
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 AM

Renting Commercial Space: Florida

Here is St. Petersburg myself and two friends rent a commercial space of about 2000 sq. ft. for a very reasonable annual lease. It has 220V service, 18' ceilings, huge roll-up door access, a bathroom and a small "office" which probably uses about 150 sq. ft. We put in our own lift - a 4-poster - and assembled our tools collectively including a shop crane, engine stands, compressor, etc. It's in a commercial strip developed to service small businesses. It's not in a great part of town, of course, but it is all commercial property in the area so security is pretty good security. Given the economy it may be worthwhile looking for something like that in your region of the country.

Tom Mieczkowski
89 Turbo Esprit
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:29 AM

Garage
Follow up

Iím looking for like minded gearheads to start a diy club near st Pete. Do you still have your space in st Pete?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Back to the Future, again

Not quite in the South Bay but there is a setup perfect for your needs in Baldwin Park, which is a suburb 20 minutes east of downtown LA.

Dream Garage is a DIY garage that has storage options and they have a full complement of tools, including engine hoists and hydraulic lifts that you rent by the hour. You pay the hourly rate and you get to use all the tools they have.

The owner is pretty cool and doesn't nickel and dime you for everything and he even treats food every once in a while when there are a lot of customers there.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in