Garage Floor finish? Tile? Epoxy? Stain? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Garage
What about a manufactured "snap together" wood floor in the garage? (Like Pergo?) For some reason, I love garages with wood floors.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2010 Audi S4 deep sea blue (for sale)
2015 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
(yes, I like blue cars)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 AM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Coin Grid-Loc Garage Tiles ? Modular Floor Covering

I'm thinking about these. Anyone have any experience with these? Reviews are all a little too "glowing" for my skeptical head.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 PM
B-T

I used a similar product from floorjunkies.com . It was the raised coin pattern, bought in boxes of 40 s.f. per box per color. I used grey, black, red, and white. It was great, except that the floor expanded noticeably in the direct sun when the garage door was left open, and the tiles would actually bubble up at the edge, then they would go back to flat after the door was closed for 5 minutes. The floor was approximately 1800 s.f. and the tiles were $1.79/sf with free shipping back in 2007. It took me and my 10 year old daughter about 8 hours to install (after I spent a day getting the floor level corrected with the blue stuff).

BT
Attached Images

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
B-T

A few more pics of the finished project.

BT
Attached Images

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM

^^

WOW

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM
KCZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
What about a manufactured "snap together" wood floor in the garage? (Like Pergo?) For some reason, I love garages with wood floors.
Pergo et al. are laminates, which would be a bad choice for a garage. Dirt and tires would quickly abrade the shine and wood-look layer right off. And I would think that real wood would also require a LOT of maintenance. I'd rather go with tile that looks like wood. There are a couple of companies that make tile that looks like wooden planks.

I built a garage 2 years ago and didn't install anything over the concrete. Now there's a four-post life in there. Is it possible to put epoxy down by moving the lift around? (I know I can move the lift.) I don't know anything about epoxy and what's involved with the different layers. Or maybe putting modular tiles of some sort down around the lift posts is an easier idea. Thoughts? Disassembling the lift and taking it out is not something I'd want to pursue.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season

Last edited by KCZ; 05-15-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-T View Post
A few more pics of the finished project.

BT
DUDE! Who cares about the floor! Is that a G20 and an F-car?

You have taste!

Tony
Indianapolis
'10 Evora | '66 S2 Super Seven 1500 Cosworth | '99 Birkin (sold)
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:42 PM
B-T

Yeah, I had a 348 and a G20 when I did that garage addition. Thanks for the compliments! Money has been slow for a few years but I will get back into the cars when things improve. For now I am having fun in an S2000. The Ginetta was my favorite car but it was pretty exhausting to drive. No fun in the rain, but on a clear, cool day in the mountains it was Nirvana!

BT
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 PM

I've used epoxy-coat.com twice now (2 different houses) and it looks great. Did a 2 car garage for under $500.

Cleaning and prepping is a lot harder than putting it in, that's for sure.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM

I would strongly discourage the HD Epoxy allure. Great for a storage room or basement floor...but...

The issue is in the prep and the top coat. Just epoxy on a well prepped floor will still peel up on the tires. Hot tires parked on the epoxy floor will warm it. Once cool the epoxy adheres to the rubber and then releases form the floor when you back out. Takes awhile, but it happens eventually.

Best is a shot blast prep, epoxy coat and a urethane top coat. That's what I did and it made it through a horrible WI winter without a single issue.

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Sold my Exige S

Four years later and my rustoleum epoxy floor has held up, and that's four years of sizzlin' Texas heat. Many of the DIY epoxy kits will pay for themselves *IF* you take your time cleaning, etching, rinsing, and then rolling the epoxy. It took me a full weekend to do my 2.5 car garage properly.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM
B-T

Just finished fixing up the garages. Did a general cleaning, wall and ceiling patch, three color wall repaint, added wood wall protection where needed, changed the lighting out to high output fluorescent lighting, and did a multi day floor refinish. The floor had to be cleaned, oil removed, acid etched, power washed, binding primer applied, two color coats of epoxy, decorative flakes while second coat was wet, and two coats of clear protectant. Overall, it is nice, but about half the space I would want. When all the tools, firewood, cars, etc... go back in, the garages lose the clean look. I like the paint scheme, and the color flakes in the floor work with the wall colors. Total cost of materials for doing two garages of about 750 s.f. total was about $700.

This Seal Crete 1 part epoxy is kind of dull, and lots of work. The top coat adds a little shine, but not much. I definitely prefer the look of the snap together tiles I had in Florida, but this only cost about $300 for 750 s.f. of floor material, and the cheap version of the floor tiles would have been around $1700 or so. Time will tell if this holds up.

BT
Attached Images

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 AM
B-T

Here are the before pictures.

BT
Attached Images

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Tell me more about leveling agents.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 AM

re: Epxy

My friend, Caravaggio Corvettes moved into their current facilities 14 years ago.
It was a brand-new just built 14,000sq.ft. building. I remember the team (about 4 or 5 people) and me worked on the week-end to epoxy the concrete floor. I no longer remember the process, but it did not seem complicated. We used a lot of Epoxy .

the floor is still there! Nothing has peeled up. We welded on it, drove cars with big fat 345 tires on it, drove my race cars with slicks on it, there is a carbon/fiberglass shop with all the other epoxy stuck on it. There is not a spot where the Epoxy peeled up or you can see concrete...

My personal experience. I think this stuff is great!!! Kind-off slippery... when new

Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by +TSRAGR View Post
Four years later and my rustoleum epoxy floor has held up, and that's four years of sizzlin' Texas heat. Many of the DIY epoxy kits will pay for themselves *IF* you take your time cleaning, etching, rinsing, and then rolling the epoxy. It took me a full weekend to do my 2.5 car garage properly.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM
B-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
Tell me more about leveling agents.
Well, depending on the thickness of an over pour needed, there are different product recommendations. For thin applications a self leveling concrete topping works well. It is expensive at around $40 per bag, but you basically squeegee it over clean concrete and it levels itself out to a feathered edge. It includes a bonding agent in the mix, and is good for up to about 1/2" thickness.

For thicker pours, a masonry / concrete bonding agent is rolled onto the low area, and a cheaper sand mix can be applied (about $6-8 per bag). Mix it well, pour it out, and float / trowel finish it. It is much more labor intensive. With any cement based product try to keep the water in the mix to a minimum for a strong finish. You can also use latex additives to make the bond better and to keep the product workable for a slightly longer time. I have used sand mix for up to about 2" thickness. Over 2" you should use bonding agent and a pea gravel mix concrete, then other products to achieve the feathered edge.

It is never as good as a troweled concrete slab finish, but it can become useable as a base for tile or epoxy.

BT
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 AM

50 bucks of carpet tiles (new, but did not make the factory quality check so cheap) did the trick with me.

75m2, so enough to replace dirty ones when I want on the 45m2 floor

CarbonElise
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
I am happy with my Race Deck Floor. I don't know waht the $ difference would be. Just my $.02.
Ron
Nice Alfa Automoblia!

Past & Present:
2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2012 Aston Martin Rapide
2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM

decent epoxy is fine so long as floor is prepped to receive it - works fine for me in my last three garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusManDan View Post
I painted and installed new lights in my garage this week looks awesome. congratulating my self over some brews with the neighbor i told him i was going to epoxy the floor. He told me his epoxy floor horror story i planed on doing the home depo epoxy thing and then then like 4 layers of clear coating.
He suggested that i just tile the floor. He used to tile and works for beer my Lotus garage is only 800sq feet and i found some ceramic tile for .60$ a sq foot that's with in a few $$ of what the epoxy costs. looking for some opinions with supporting reasoning.

Tile
Epoxy
Stain

??
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:02 PM

We did the Mrs craft room a year and half ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8143177991/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in