Garage lifts - Page 10 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
Love the E36 M3, I used to have one!
Do you have any shots off using the Jack on the Lotus?
Sorry no photo's using the jacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 PM

I have MaxxJax two post lift and love it. Portable and I lift car 48" and can roll around working underneatrh with a short roller chair.

Mike P.
2005 Lotus Elise, other car issues, 2005 Porsche GT3, 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 1962 Porsche 356b, 1994 Audi UrS4, 2001.5 Audi S4 avant, 2010 Jetta TDI cup edition
post #183 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplatt911 View Post
I have MaxxJax two post lift and love it. Portable and I lift car 48" and can roll around working underneatrh with a short roller chair.
what is the max clear height underneath that you can store a car up on the maxxjax? if you lock it in the up position?

Thanks

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design

post #184 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM
UK Exile

I've made the decision to go with the 4 post.
BMan thanks for the pics and details.
post #185 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
I've made the decision to go with the 4 post.
BMan thanks for the pics and details.
Your welcome. Glad the photos and details helped you make a decision.
post #186 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 PM

I installed a 2-post Bendpak XPR-10A asymmetrical lift and couldn't be happier. The access from below the car is incredible. With MWR 2-post lift adapters on the car, the whole process of lifting and getting access is super simple. No more crawling around on the ground...

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #187 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysailor View Post
...[*]Slide rubber lifting blocks between Lotus and lift runners. The front blocks aren't quite to lift point B up front because of the runner length, but work fine just behind there. The critical ones are lift point C to keep the car from flipping backwards. For this, I position the rubber blocks on the outside edge of lift point C....

That exact procedure has crushed my shear panel (where you put your aft blocks) and the fiberglass rocker panels. Since mine was done at the dealer, Lotus replaced the shear panel, but has done nothing for the rocker panels...

I wouldn't lift a Lotus like that and not recommend this procedure to anybody...

I looked at your shear panel, and it does not look crushed yet...
post #188 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM

IMO, if you're getting a lift to work on the car, and don't mind fixing it to the floor, nothing beats a 2 post for access:

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #189 of 195 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by <@¿@> View Post

That exact procedure has crushed my shear panel (where you put your aft blocks) and the fiberglass rocker panels. Since mine was done at the dealer, Lotus replaced the shear panel, but has done nothing for the rocker panels...

I wouldn't lift a Lotus like that and not recommend this procedure to anybody...

Yes... and that is why if you go on to read you will see that I recommend AGAINST doing this and that one should install support pucks between the engine panel and shear panel. I even gave links to the various support pucks in post 164:
Quote:
Here are three links to some of the pucks that go between the shear panel and the engine access panel:
TAT Concept > >Homepage > >Catalog > >Lotus Elise & Exige > >Elise S2 Toyota > >Exterior

Moto Concept Racing - Lotus Tuning für Elise, Esprit und andere Sportwagen

Opel-Speedster-Club - Shop - Karosserie & Exterieur - Distanzscheiben für die Hebebühne

I will just make my own similar to the TAT-Concepts pucks (first link). They use existing bolt holes. I will make then from a block of Delrin or King StarBoard (both high density polymer material).
And said this in post 166:
Quote:
However... all that being said... I wouldn't want someone else doing it just because have. I would definitely recommend making and installing pucks that go between the shear panel and the engine access panel like I mentioned and linked to above. The puck would mount to the shear panel at lift point C filling the gap between the shear and engine access panels. This would allow you to lift using lift point C with the engine access panel on.

2006 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow, HT, LSS, LSD/TC, Touring, StarShield, S111 RTDbrace, S111 microMirror, S111 Carpet Buttons, Painted A/C Surround, CF Center Console, Nitron S/A, Tempest BAB26-12 AGM Battery, Fujita Intake, Top Speed Pro 1 Exhaust, 4Tress Harness Bar, JDM ASTAR Cree H1 LED Headlights, Plinthless front clam, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71R 205F/235R on LSS Wheels, Heater Core By-Pass, Shifter Reinforcement, LETSLA v2 Shift Kit
post #190 of 195 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
what is the max clear height underneath that you can store a car up on the maxxjax? if you lock it in the up position?

Thanks
The max clear height under the arms is 42" and 45" under the car. It's perfect for us with an Esprit on top and a Seven underneath:

Note that the Esprit easily clears the 7' tall roll up garage door when it is open and the lift is all the way up at maximum height. Our garage ceiling height is 95"

You're welcome to come by and inspect sometime if you wish.

Ron

Ron Schramm

'62 Seven S2
'77 S1 Esprit
'84 Turbo Esprit
'14 Evora
post #191 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:35 AM

Just got my lifts installed. Ordered from Derek Weaver - they are also known as Direct Lift, Rotary Lift, etc. I believe the only four post lifts to be certified. Great price at $2,195 each, including nice casters, jack tray, and four drip trays. My installer said that his cost on these lifts is $2,895 - he has already started ordering from Derek Weaver.Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1458243292.703162.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  95.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1458243310.059617.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  100.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1458243326.169677.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  109.1 KB
exlondoner likes this.

2011 Elise R
2013 Evora S IPS
2011 G55
2013 A3 TDI Sport
2002 Crown Vic CNG (daily driver - carpool lane)
post #192 of 195 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:21 AM

I took some new shots, posted in this thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218...ml#post5110009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I love my lift (installed in early Feb'12). It has casters and can be moved around relatively easy (with a car on it!) however un-anchored at full lift it will sway if I were to jump around on it. It will not budge when it is at waist height. I like where it is so I did finally anchor it a week after I got it... and can always unbolt it if I really want to move it again. I hear the more expensive ones (like Backyard Buddy etc) have less of a tendency to sway when un-anchored and at full lift. Mine is now solid as a rock.

Mine is sold under several names, mine is an "Auto Lift": Car Storage Lifts | 4 Post Parking Lifts at Best Buy Automotive Equipment
Same thing: Atlas Garage Pro 8,000

Cars are dirty.. sorry. Ceiling is 10ft. I could raise the Lotus one notch further if I backed it in (would better clear the raised door), but I rather have the tires stored where they are so I don't need to remove them to remove the car.

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
post #193 of 195 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 PM
UK Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmike View Post
Just got my lifts installed. Ordered from Derek Weaver - they are also known as Direct Lift, Rotary Lift, etc. I believe the only four post lifts to be certified. Great price at $2,195 each, including nice casters, jack tray, and four drip trays. My installer said that his cost on these lifts is $2,895 - he has already started ordering from Derek Weaver.Attachment 679753Attachment 679761Attachment 679769
Mike, that's the same setup we're planning for our residents, would you mind sharing garage dimensions?
post #194 of 195 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
Just had my second lift installed, it is the same as my other lift. It is a tight fit, but it works for me.

Ron

Ron, how tall is your ceiling?
post #195 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM

Wink Professional shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by <@¿@> View Post

Professional shops know what type of lift will work best for their business. Most professional shops have both two post and four post lifts https://www.elevatorauto.ro/
https://reihmann.de/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in