Garage lifts - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM

That is very nice...will have to look into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRJock View Post
FWIW, I recently had my garage door tracks raised and a jackshaft opener installed. I was planning to get the Wayne Dalton opener but reviews were very poor. Instead, I bought the Liftmaster 3800 and I'm extremely happy with it.

3800 - DC Motor Residential Jackshaft Opener

The motion sensor light is the handiest thing. I walk into the garage and night and the overhead light comes on. Really nice when I'm taking out a bag of garbage or something.

2006 Elise VF2, custom 2.5" Magnaflow freeflow exhaust, FF headers, Decat, Aluminum Flywheel, ATC HD clutch, Ohlin's, track brace, custom carbon bits
1967 Mallock Mk6B
1969 Lotus Elan S4
1994 Caterham 7, R400 zetec
1970 Lotus Seven S4 VARAC race car
2012 Ford F150 Raptor
2014 Ford Fiesta ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 AM

Out of curiosity has anyone tried something like this wall mounted opener Real Carriage Door Hardware - Carriage Door Openers

I'm trying to buy my first home and so far garage heights are very inconsistent. I thought carriage doors might buy me at least a foot.
post #103 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockpoint View Post
Out of curiosity has anyone tried something like this wall mounted opener Real Carriage Door Hardware - Carriage Door Openers

I'm trying to buy my first home and so far garage heights are very inconsistent. I thought carriage doors might buy me at least a foot.
My garage does have carriage doors, but I've been opening and closing them manually. The wall-mounted opener looks good. I'll give them a call.

Thanks,

Joe

post #104 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
pwn

I am looking for a lift as well due to space concerns -- any idea if any of these companies have done any sort of seismic testing or anything? That's my only concern -- I would HATE to have a two for one deal type accident.
post #105 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 AM

I just ordered a Direct-Lift Midrise 6,000 lb scissors lift that several of you have. I learned that there is a lot of variability in the prices charged by the people who sell them, and even from time to time from the same seller.

My advice: pick out the top three dealers from the perspective of reputation (read this post, etc.), then talk to them live to get their best price on the lift, including delivery and sales tax.

Thanks,

Joe

p.s. I decided not to buy the carriage door openers, as they are quite pricey.
post #106 of 195 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Getting Ready

I want to buy an elise so bad I'm getting my garage ready. Tommorow they raise my garage door tracks and I order the lift. I'm going to order the Atlas Pro 8K from Greg Smith Equipment. Art was very nice and helpful on the phone today.

I had to draw it all out to make sure it would fit my two cars and the wifes Honda Pilot. (Credit for the car CAD drawings goes to someone else, I googled and found them)

I will be ready when I find the right one!

Mike
Pearland, TX
post #107 of 195 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Hey guys,

Great info....this post is for anyone who sells lifts or any knowing LT members...
Garage has a ceiling height of around 8'. Will have to remeasure...could be a snitch more. Depth is 13'. No issues with door tracks because its a sliding garage door vs a lifting door.
Would love to find a company that can provide a lift where the Lotus can live up top and a Ferrari 430 can live under.

Can anyone offer any suggestions...or if you sell these things send me a PM. Ready to buy asap.

Thanks!
sanfranlotus likes this.
post #108 of 195 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Back about 8 years ago, we did a lot of research for a fellow LOONY.

I have had a lift since about 1991. It was the first parking lift...from a compnay called Parking Solutions. they have since disappeared.

Anyways...we decided that the Eagle Lift was the best engineered and most cost effective. My friend was an engineer for Dehaviland aircraft and for Xerox and quite a perfectionist, so I trusted his judgement.

the website is Eagle Equipment

I still like their stuff....My friends family still has his although he has gone to the great Lotus garage in the sky.....

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #109 of 195 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM

p.s. I decided not to buy the carriage door openers, as they are quite pricey.[/QUOTE]

Joe, you had me worried, don't buy any thing else . We need to finish the SC install , fuel system redo,EFI, and hinged clam plus see if the clutch we installed works. I'm all healed from my last session and ready to go .I'm packing my own bandages now,good thing your married to a nurse. carl

User formerly known as 4carl
post #110 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM

The lift is here!

I'm ready to stack my cars. The Lotus should be to me by the end of the week.

It's an Atlas Garage Pro 8K Storage Lift from Greg Smith Equipment Co. Took me way more than 4 hours to put together, but I was working by myself except when I had to ask my wife to help move the really heavy stuff. Thank goodness she had just completed the P90X workout series

Mike
post #111 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Can you post some pics of the inside of the garage looking out - I'd like to see how the garage door clears the lift - thanks

07 CO Elise, ReVerie CF Side Scoops, ReVerie 3-Element CF Diffuser, ReVerie center console, ReVerie front splitter, 111 Tow Hook, 111 Boomerang Tow Hook, 111 Bootie, Redline Boot, BWR Key, V1, Larini Exhaust, Green filter, LidBone, MicroMirror, R888, CF Sills, Stud Conversion, Exige seats, Schroth Belts, Sector 111 V-Brace....
post #112 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Sure

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG911 View Post
Can you post some pics of the inside of the garage looking out - I'd like to see how the garage door clears the lift - thanks
post #113 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 AM

How tall is your ceiling? Mine is 10' and it seems tight, but yours looks like 9' tops!

Paul Parkanzky
Magnetic Blue with Biscuit Touring, LSS, Starshield
post #114 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Mine is 113" tall near the door end and a 111 1/2" ( 9' 3 1/2" minimum)tall away from the door.

With MINI on the bottom I have 50 1/2" above it for a car setting on the lift tracks. I hope it's enough! My car will be here by Friday.

I can adjust the lock levels on my lifts +/- a couple of inches. So I intend to balance them up for the best positions so I can load either car on top. I should have a couple of inches extra clearance on each vehicle. I'm replacing my MINI cooper's antenna with a 2.5" stubby.

Quote:
How tall is your ceiling? Mine is 10' and it seems tight, but yours looks like 9' tops!
post #115 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
Mine is 113" tall near the door end and a 111 1/2" ( 9' 3 1/2" minimum)tall away from the door.

With MINI on the bottom I have 50 1/2" above it for a car setting on the lift tracks. I hope it's enough! My car will be here by Friday.

I can adjust the lock levels on my lifts +/- a couple of inches. So I intend to balance them up for the best positions so I can load either car on top. I should have a couple of inches extra clearance on each vehicle. I'm replacing my MINI cooper's antenna with a 2.5" stubby.
50" is enough most smaller cars (And no problem for the Lotus) but it's going to make you mighty nervous the first few times you put a car that close to the ceiling! What I did was have a spotter tell me how close I was as I ran the lift up, then put colored tape on the lift post to line up with the slider in the cross bar to tell me when I was at max height. I wrote the name of the car that corresponds to on the tape. Then at the 'drive on' end of the lift I put tape to show the minimum height for the lift to drive the car underneath so that I can see pulling in that I'm going to make it. It just makes me feel better...

Paul Parkanzky
Magnetic Blue with Biscuit Touring, LSS, Starshield
post #116 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
50" is enough most smaller cars (And no problem for the Lotus) but it's going to make you mighty nervous the first few times you put a car that close to the ceiling! What I did was have a spotter tell me how close I was as I ran the lift up, then put colored tape on the lift post to line up with the slider in the cross bar to tell me when I was at max height. I wrote the name of the car that corresponds to on the tape. Then at the 'drive on' end of the lift I put tape to show the minimum height for the lift to drive the car underneath so that I can see pulling in that I'm going to make it. It just makes me feel better...
Excellent Ideas! I will mark mine with tape and label it too! I may even color coordinate the tape. Orange for MINI and Yellow for the Lotus.

Yes I was getting scared raising my MINI near the top. I thought I was going to hit the ceiling from where I was standing and my son kept saying I had a few more inches! I will have to get my wife to do the spotting.

Thanks,
Mike
post #117 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks Mike - I appreciate it. Are you able to use a garage door opener?

07 CO Elise, ReVerie CF Side Scoops, ReVerie 3-Element CF Diffuser, ReVerie center console, ReVerie front splitter, 111 Tow Hook, 111 Boomerang Tow Hook, 111 Bootie, Redline Boot, BWR Key, V1, Larini Exhaust, Green filter, LidBone, MicroMirror, R888, CF Sills, Stud Conversion, Exige seats, Schroth Belts, Sector 111 V-Brace....
post #118 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG911 View Post
Thanks Mike - I appreciate it. Are you able to use a garage door opener?
Yes, I just installed a Lift Master 3800 tonight. It mounts on the side and turns the bar with the torsion springs on it. It works great and was pretty easy to install.

I believe they call these a "Jack Shaft" style door opener. Great features and can be had for much cheaper than retail if bought on e-bay.

Mike
post #119 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Be sure to consider that you need to lift a couple inches higher and then rest back on the locks. It seems you have taken all precautions so I am sure this was accounted for.
post #120 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhastings View Post
Be sure to consider that you need to lift a couple inches higher and then rest back on the locks. It seems you have taken all precautions so I am sure this was accounted for.
It looks as if I will be fine. This lift has individual cable length adjustment as well as individual lock bar height adjustments so I should be able to balance and level it close to perfect. Then just a slight lift will be able to free the locks for downward travel. Plus I have about 6 extra inches to play with.
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in