Garage lifts - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearsall View Post
Reviving an old thread, but how to support the Elise on this style of lift?

Thanks,
Todd
I am still very much enjoying this lift and it has worked great for the large variety of cars that I use on it. It is a very stable, safe and easy lift. When not in use, I just leave it flat and have no problem just parking over it.

My procedure for lifting the Lotus and removing the engine access panel:
  1. Put 24" long 2x8 pieces of wood flat on the floor in front of and behind each lift runner. These are to get the car a little higher for the rubber blocks to slide between the lift and the car.
  2. Pull car onto the lift aligning front of rear wheel arch with the back edge of the lift runner.
  3. Slide rubber lifting blocks between Lotus and lift runners. The front blocks aren't quite to lift point B up front because of the runner length, but work fine just behind there. The critical ones are lift point C to keep the car from flipping backwards. For this, I position the rubber blocks on the outside edge of lift point C.
  4. Raise lift to full height.

For things that don't require the removal of the engine access panel you can stop here. At this point you can detail the car easily, perform wheel, brake and suspension work. You can also remove the diffuser for exhaust work.

For oil changes, engine/transmission service, etc... continue with steps 5 through 8 to remove the engine access panel:

5. Place screw type jack stand and Jack Helper under the rear lift point. Screw it up just a bit to remove weight off of rear rubber lifting blocks to allow for removal of engine access panel. With this screw type jack stand, it is VERY EASY to rotate the handle lifting the car.
  6. Slide rear rubber lifting blocks out and remove bolts for engine access panel. The access panel will come straight down and rest very nicely on the lift runners. You can then just slide it forward and out of the way.
  7. Place the rubber lifting blocks back under lift point C and take a few turns off the jack stand lowering the Lotus back down on the rubber lifting blocks. I also added hockey pucks at this point to make up the space difference with the panel removed. Instead of hockey pucks on top, you could use 2x6 blocks under the rubber lifting blocks.
  8. You can now remove the jack stand and Jack Helper out from under the car.

Eventually I might make some permanent pucks/blocks that will stay between the shear panel and the engine access panel. These would better support the Lotus when lifting with the panel on, but I have had no problems with my current lifting method. I would make them out of either Delrin or StarBoard (both high density polymer material).

Here are some more pictures from a while ago:
Name:  IMG_1728 (Medium).JPG
Views: 3960
Size:  238.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1729 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1980
Size:  196.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1732 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1913
Size:  171.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1734 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1790
Size:  128.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1736 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2517
Size:  207.3 KB

2006 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow, HT, LSS, LSD/TC, Touring, StarShield, S111 RTDbrace, S111 microMirror, S111 Carpet Buttons, Painted A/C Surround, CF Center Console, Nitron S/A, Tempest BAB26-12 AGM Battery, Fujita Intake, Top Speed Pro 1 Exhaust, 4Tress Harness Bar, JDM ASTAR Cree H1 LED Headlights, Plinthless front clam, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71R 205F/235R on LSS Wheels, Heater Core By-Pass, Shifter Reinforcement, LETSLA v2 Shift Kit

Last edited by Baysailor; 11-01-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Garage
More pictures:
Name:  IMG_1737 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1788
Size:  169.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1738 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2028
Size:  149.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1741 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1935
Size:  267.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1742 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1727
Size:  132.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1746 (Medium).JPG
Views: 3100
Size:  205.4 KB

2006 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow, HT, LSS, LSD/TC, Touring, StarShield, S111 RTDbrace, S111 microMirror, S111 Carpet Buttons, Painted A/C Surround, CF Center Console, Nitron S/A, Tempest BAB26-12 AGM Battery, Fujita Intake, Top Speed Pro 1 Exhaust, 4Tress Harness Bar, JDM ASTAR Cree H1 LED Headlights, Plinthless front clam, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71R 205F/235R on LSS Wheels, Heater Core By-Pass, Shifter Reinforcement, LETSLA v2 Shift Kit
post #163 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Baysailor that is a nice setup. I like it.

post #164 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Garage
Here are three links to some of the pucks that go between the shear panel and the engine access panel:
TAT Concept > >Homepage > >Catalog > >Lotus Elise & Exige > >Elise S2 Toyota > >Exterior

Moto Concept Racing - Lotus Tuning für Elise, Esprit und andere Sportwagen

Opel-Speedster-Club - Shop - Karosserie & Exterieur - Distanzscheiben für die Hebebühne

I will just make my own similar to the TAT-Concepts pucks (first link). They use existing bolt holes. I will make then from a block of Delrin or King StarBoard (both high density polymer material).

Last edited by Baysailor; 11-01-2012 at 06:11 PM.
post #165 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks for that incredibly thorough response!! When you initially lift using the outside edge near lift point C it isn't a problem lifting it using the edge of the panel? I circled where it looks like you lift when the access panel is on.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysailor View Post
Here are three links to some of the pucks that go between the shear panel and the engine access panel:
TAT Concept > >Homepage > >Catalog > >Opel Speedster VX220 > >Speedster VX220 N/A > >Exterior

Opel-Speedster-Club - Shop - Karosserie & Exterieur - Distanzscheiben für die Hebebühne

I will just make my own similar to the TAT-Concepts pucks (first link). They use existing bolt holes. I will make then from a block of Delrin or King StarBoard (both high density polymer material).
Attached Images

Current: 2005 Elise LRG - BWR SC
24hrs of LeMons: '90 Plymouth Acclaim - Keg-car (crushed), '93 Eclipse with 6 races run and 5 motors
Gone, but not forgotten: '91 NSX, '95 Z3, '79 280ZX, '66 Mustang and others. Friends don't let friend's drive 4-doors.
post #166 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearsall View Post
Thanks for that incredibly thorough response!! When you initially lift using the outside edge near lift point C it isn't a problem lifting it using the edge of the panel? I circled where it looks like you lift when the access panel is on.

Thanks again.
I have lifted my Elise probably about 15 times or so and have not had a problem yet. It is just on the outside of lift point C and the large rubber blocks spread the load out pretty well along the aluminum extrusion there and the panel. There has been no bending, deformation, etc. and I definitely always check this area well! When I do lift here, it has always been with the engine access panel on as this provides lateral strength for that outside edge.

However... all that being said... I wouldn't want someone else doing it just because have. I would definitely recommend making and installing pucks that go between the shear panel and the engine access panel like I mentioned and linked to above. The puck would mount to the shear panel at lift point C filling the gap between the shear and engine access panels. This would allow you to lift using lift point C with the engine access panel on.

I really need to get around to making some of these for my car! The bolt hole just to the right of the area you circled is the one that people use for holding the pucks in place. I have also seen pictures where people have mounted the pucks to the engine access panel instead.

Last edited by Baysailor; 11-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.
post #167 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks again!

Quote:
I have lifted my Elise probably about 15 times or so and have not had a problem yet. It is just on the outside of lift point C and the large rubber blocks spread the load out pretty well along the aluminum extrusion there and the panel. There has been no bending, deformation, etc. and I definitely always check this area well! When I do lift here, it has always been with the engine access panel on as this provides lateral strength for that outside edge.

However... all that being said... I wouldn't want someone else doing it just because have. I would definitely recommend making and installing pucks that go between the shear panel and the engine access panel like I mentioned and linked to above. The puck would mount to the shear panel at lift point C filling the gap between the shear and engine access panels. This would allow you to lift using lift point C with the engine access panel on.

I really need to get around to making some of these for my car! The bolt hole just to the right of the area you circled is the one that people use for holding the pucks in place. I have also seen pictures where people have mounted the pucks to the engine access panel instead.

24hrs of LeMons: '90 Plymouth Acclaim - Keg-car (crushed), '93 Eclipse with 6 races run and 5 motors
Gone, but not forgotten: '91 NSX, '95 Z3, '79 280ZX, '66 Mustang and others. Friends don't let friend's drive 4-doors.
post #168 of 194 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Anyone know of US sources for these?

Quote:
TAT Concept > >Homepage > >Catalog > >Opel Speedster VX220 > >Speedster VX220 N/A > >Exterior

post #169 of 194 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 PM
UK Exile

I've started thinking about lift options. Here is what I'm working with:
Approx 10-12' height (there would have been approx 13' but there is a beam).

Right now the Lotus takes one side of the garage and gets driven from Spring to late fall otherwise sits there which annoys the other half lol.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get three cars in the garage and the option to actually work on the car.

What are everyone's thoughts on brands, ideally I'd like to stay under 2k.
post #170 of 194 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 AM

I picked up a Mohawk A-7 on Craig's list for $1,100 and spent $800 for the install. There always seem to be a few lifts for sale there. It makes life so much easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post

Right now the Lotus takes one side of the garage and gets driven from Spring to late fall otherwise sits there which annoys the other half lol.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get three cars in the garage and the option to actually work on the car.

post #171 of 194 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM
UK Exile

TP, that's a great deal, post some pics! Or ban :-)
post #172 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I bought one from Superlifts.com several years ago to stack cars for more garage space as well. They are kind of generic but has worked well. Only need about 10' 6" to stack two cars. Make sure u factor in garage door opening... Had to modify mine.

Too Many Toys, Too Little Time

'07 Apline White Exige S
'04 Krypton Green Elise track car
post #173 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 PM

My garage is only 10' 1" can put the lotus all the way to the top.
I got my lift from greg smith equipment and installed it myself. Atlas® Garage Pro 8,000 4 Post Lift & Two Atlas® RJ-35 Sliding Jacks

had to modify the garage door to go higher and get ride of the traditional center door opener but i was in the middle of replacing it anyway.

Complete and with a little room to spare.
post #174 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM
UK Exile

Hi BMan, what is the Garage Length and Width? I'd like to get a 4 post but may not have enough floor space. I have about 10.5 height.
post #175 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Hi BMan, what is the Garage Length and Width? I'd like to get a 4 post but may not have enough floor space. I have about 10.5 height.
I don't remember exactly the dimensions but the lift itself is there smaller one.
9'7" with motor Wide and 14'7" Length. I want to say my garage is about 12'x17'. I do have enought room to slide around the posts and enough room in front of the lift to store tools chest, stand up air compressor and my garbage can.

Here are a couple of pics during my install that might put a better perspective on its size.

post #176 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM
UK Exile

Great work!
I think I'm taking the plunge for the same lift. I was thinking about the MaxJax but would prefer a 4 post.

It looks like you use the driveway for the ramps, are the easily removable when the garage door is closed?

Any regrets?

Cheers mate.
post #177 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Great work!
I think I'm taking the plunge for the same lift. I was thinking about the MaxJax but would prefer a 4 post.

It looks like you use the driveway for the ramps, are the easily removable when the garage door is closed?

Any regrets?

Cheers mate.
4 post is nice you don't have bolt anything down. I got the combo package that has the jack lifts so i can still lift the car off the ramps and work on it (brakes, oil, muffler, etc).

Yea I do have the ramps out to the driveway. Yes they are easily removable but mine are not anymore I modified them to fold up on the lift so I wouldn't forget to put them on when taking the car out.

here are few photos of them folded up

post #178 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM
UK Exile

Love it!
I will post pics this spring of my garage transformation. I have an M3 that wil be going below the Lotus but there should be plenty of space.
post #179 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Love it!
I will post pics this spring of my garage transformation. I have an M3 that wil be going below the Lotus but there should be plenty of space.
Should fit I had an E36 M3 above a 135i at one point.

post #180 of 194 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
UK Exile

Love the E36 M3, I used to have one!
Do you have any shots off using the Jack on the Lotus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in