Garage lighting - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Garage lighting

Time to improve the visibility out there. Any suggestions on some good ceiling fixtures? No not Home Depot/Lowes or such. Griot's has some that are appealing. Any others? Prefer ceiling mount, not suspended.

Name:  j.JPG
Views: 19426
Size:  40.0 KB

Fluorescent Light Fixtures - Lighting & Power - In Your Garage - Griot's Garage

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
glb

I got very good fluorescent cold weather fixtures from Lowes.

My 2-car garage and loft are unheated and these start right up.

The trick is in the positioning/mounting. A fixture that shines only down isn't much help in some circumstances.

Copying what many shops do, I mounted mine at the ceiling/wall junction, shining out at a 45 degree angle. This floods the area with light.

I do have a couple in the middle of the ceiling shining straight down (here when I arrived).

Hope this helps.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM

there are any number of manufacturers if want to spend extra money and get something a little more stylish ...i would say just go to your local lighting supply warehouse ... there are only 4 parts to a light fixture:
the bulb (you choose..)
the reflector - the science
the housing - the look
and for fluorescent/hid - the ballast.

starting in the cold and running quite are just a quality of a good ballast. i have very good ballast, in my "cheap home depot" housings... and i put very good color (not the cheap) lamps. that why when people see my garage lit up they saw "wow - this looks great!"

also consider mixing fluorescent with halogen spots if you want a "higher end, retail look". looks cool - assist with color, breaks up light patters etc...

groits - as usually is not forthcoming with specs or manufacturer of that fixture - i would hope for the price its "lithonia / copper" competitive in quality...

i would never have exposed bulbs in shop - i would assume a fixt. like that comes with (or you will get) plastic sleeves for the bulbs. i prefer full (lexan) fixt. covers

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Bob
Here is what I did ----I used three 4 light sections( 12 lights total)

Easy install

Car Guy Garage: Four 48" Long Linkable T8 Garage Lighting
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
and i put very good color (not the cheap) lamps. that why when people see my garage lit up they saw "wow - this looks great!"
which bulbs and from where? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay View Post
Bob
Here is what I did ----I used three 4 light sections( 12 lights total)

Easy install
Installing is easy in almost any case. But, the 45 degree method I mentioned above spreads much more light than vertically hung fixtures. really.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Garage
LED lights! We have them in the house and they are nice. Never any flickering, variety of bulb temps, and they put out a LOT of light. Disadvantage is getting a good beam spread can be hard, and of course they aren't cheap.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Check out Low Bay Metal Halide floods. I have two over my work benches inaddition to a battery of fluorescents on the ceiling. I had a lot of fluorescent fixtures up and white walls and ceiling but it was still hard to see small parts and do detail work until I installed those metal halide fixtures. They are usually special order items ( a friend who owns an Ace Hardware ordered mine for me) and the bulbs are a bit pricey but I've only had one fail in 6 years and I use my shop almost daily...Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM

I just put some lights in my garage. I only had three little light bulbs in it to start and while my garage is small 24x24 I have 16 foot celings. I went to home depot and bought 4 8foot t5 HO fixtures. They didn't sell the bulbs in store and wanted 11 bucks a bulb online. I found the t5 HO bulbs on 1000 bulbs.com for 2.73 a piece. They are 5000 lumens each, color rating is 5000K and the CFI is 87 I believe. I mounted the fixtures directly to the celing as I wanted as much room as possible for my lifts. It lights up the garage like crazy my friends are say its like a tanning salon in my garage now.

Hope that helps.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM

I have a 3 car garage. My first time upgrading the lights I did half the garage with 4 of the 2x4 foot tube lights. They are ok, standard issue. But they do put off some heat when you leave them on for hours on end. I think each bulb is 40 watts, and I have 8 of them so that is 320 watts. I have seen the light switch get a little spark inside on some occasions when turning them on.

So for the next half I decided to try something different. I bought the little cheap light bulb holders like this

And then put CFL's in them. I installed 5. At 13 watts per bulb they produce alot of light, but have less power draw then just one of the 2x4 foot tube holder.

I might consider replacing the long bulbs with more CFL's. It was like $40 total for the 5 CFL installs. That included sockets, bulbs, bulk wire, wire connectors. Since the sockets and bulbs hardly weigh anything I just drilled holes in the sheetrock right next to a rafter so that one of the holes on socket screwed into the rafter. Probably doesn't comply with code.

For the connectors I used these little guys, made plexing out the wires to the other bulbs very easy.

The whole thing is a little ghetto I know
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Garage
I installed track lighting in my 3-car garage last month. I have 6 strips of 4 lamps each. It's a mixture of halogen (good color and directionality) and CFL fixtures (more efficient and cooler). It has made detailing my cars in the garage much easier since I can use the directional light to check for swirl marks and other defects.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Garage
Two words: Metal Halide.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Those track lights look VERY dim to me.

I don't see why Lowe's/Home Deport, etc housings wouldn't be less better than some "designer" housings.

The lights I have in my shop were about $30 a housing, T8 bulbs. I have 7 housings in there for general lighting and then a few more over the top of my welding table/workbench. My garage is about 24x26 in size.
It's heater, but my shed out back isn't and the same lights work fine at -30*.

T8 bulb is 32 watts each, about 3200 lumens each. The 25w CFLs are around 1600 lumens each. Would take 4 CFLs to equal 2 T8s while using around 100 watts vs 64.

Metal Hylide works great if you have a tall ceiling. Usually 15-20ft or higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in