My first house! Garage project time! Garage floor question. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
My first house! Garage project time! Garage floor question.

Ok, just bought my first house (which pushed me buying an elise back by 5 or 6 months or so ). I did end up with a 3 car garage which is something I looked for and couldn't deal without in buying my first house. Our house used to be the model house for the neighborhood which actually I have found has some great benefits. The garage is routed with a/c and heat ducts (which are currently blocked off, but if I ever wanted to use them I just need to unblock the ducts, sweet a garage with a/c! ). They added quite a few lights over the 2 car portion of the garage and I also have a hookup for an outdoor garage sink (which you can see in the picture) which is nice so you can clean up before going in the house. On to my question, the 2 car portion of the garage floor is painted from it being the "office" when it was the model home. I would like to have the floor done with epoxy and the speckles like alot of people do on here. What all will have to be done with that side of the garage to prep it for the new coat? Will the paint have to be stripped/removed? Here is a picture of my garage while they were doing the termite inspection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
What all will have to be done with that side of the garage to prep it for the new coat? Will the paint have to be stripped/removed?
Basically yes, they'll have to grind it off as the epoxy bonds to the concrete to make it so strong. I just had mine done - when I bought my house 3 years ago I didn't have the funds to have a pro job done so I bought one of the kits at Home Depot. While it worked ok (lasted for about 2 years before it started peeling) it just wasn't what I wanted for my new space. So I had a company do the high end stuff and the first thing they did was bring in a huge grinder and get all the old epoxy off (normally they charge $1/sqft for that but I was a referral from another LT member so they did that for free for me).

You'll love it - almost the best thing I did in my garage. Transforms it from a garage to another room in the house if you ask me.

Here's the thread I just posted with some details/pictures on what I did.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218...mplete-116131/

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have the floor done? I thought about doing the home depot kit but have recently decided against it, because I do want it to last.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Garage
Fully concur with Ross. Cost us about $2200 as I remember for 400 square feet, and did it up the concrete "baseboards" as well. You could drag an anvil over it with little or no damage.
Mine is very light so if I drive in with wet tires it leaves tracks that "harden" when they dry and are sort of hard to remove.

Here is our result: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218...e-over-109688/

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
JWA

Congrats on the house!

Tesprit on here did all of the research and went with an industrial coating from Premier Garage that is reportedly excellent. Lots of good info, photos, and pricing details here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218...g-paint-82618/
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Fully concur with Ross. Cost us about $2200 as I remember for 400 square feet, and did it up the concrete "baseboards" as well. You could drag an anvil over it with little or no damage.
Mine is very light so if I drive in with wet tires it leaves tracks that "harden" when they dry and are sort of hard to remove.

Here is our result: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218...e-over-109688/
wow...since mine is 675 sq ft, the cost would be quite a bit more than doing race deck tiles that I had quoted for around $2,000. I do like the look of the coating better though. I guess its just time for decisions.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Back to the Future, again

Very nice. You are lucky... I didn't have much time to remodel before moving in and now I got too much junk in the garage to do the floors. I was told I had to take everything out for 2 days... where am I going to leave all my motorcycles and cars outside for 2 days? They won't be there when it's done!

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 AM

I went with RaceDeck and love it.
The look you get is more dramatic than epoxy.
Also portable if you move or decide to change.
RaceDeck will give you 10% off and free shipping if you tell them you are a garageforum.com member.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Attached Images

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
I got a quote from them for around $2,200 if I remember correctly. I guess that would end up being cheaper than doing a professional floor. I'd love to have real tile in the garage. It'd be tough to decide on a design for the race deck. I was on their site for a while trying to think of designs.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM

As previously posted, you do have to strip the old paint. Consider NOT using a "speckled" finish as it makes it hard to find small parts that get dropped, a solid color works out better. Also consider a polyurethane sealer for epoxy floors as a top coat. The epoxy is resistant to most stains but Dexcool and PVC pipe cement permanently stain it (among a few other things.) The polyurethane is very stain resistant. Also consider a multi-stage commercial epoxy system, The first stage is water based and soaks into the concrete, the second stage is regular epoxy and bonds to the first stage, making it far more peel resistant than the Home Depot crap....Dave
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Nice garage. How about the details of your tire lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay View Post
RaceDeck will give you 10% off and free shipping if you tell them you are a garageforum.com member.

2007 Exige-All Black and Mean, Factory TouringPak/TrackPak/StarShield/LSD/TractionControl/iPodDock. All stock but not for long.
v = square root ((2 * e) / m)
2008 BMW 335i White/Beige-Awesome power
2006 Mitsubishi EVO IX MR-Only all-stock one left in the country!!
2010 BMW K1300S-Faster than a Hayabusa!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
How does it hold up if you spill coolant/oil or something? Does it seep through to the floor? Does it hold up to jacking up a car and putting it on jack stands?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330ciandr6 View Post
How does it hold up if you spill coolant/oil or something? Does it seep through to the floor? Does it hold up to jacking up a car and putting it on jack stands?
Holds up great
I am shocked---- spills come up easy--- the four post lift is actually sitting on top of the tiles.
Brake fluid does not affect at all--- I have had some nasty spills!!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
Nice garage. How about the details of your tire lift?
Racor lift
Amazon had for $99 at one point!
Costco puts on sale every so often as well.
Can raise manually or use your drill to make faster.......

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Garage
My Race deck flooring is from 2000. It does not have a sheen like yours, I wish it did. If I had it to do again, I would not have put yellow where I drive over it all the time. I can't keep it clean.
Ron
Attached Images

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Absolute power does what?

I went with the epoxy stuff since I'm in Colorado - that means lots of winter days where I pull in with crap/snow all over the car (other car) and I didn't want all the crap dripping into the tiles where it would be hard to clean (or harder). I paid $1500 for mine, 410 sq/ft total (so roughly $4/sqft)

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Back to the Future, again

Inspired... once again. Need lift... and cover my raw concrete garage floor.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330ciandr6 View Post
The garage is routed with a/c and heat ducts (which are currently blocked off, but if I ever wanted to use them I just need to unblock the ducts, sweet a garage with a/c! )
As an owner of a heating and AC company I highly recommend against unblocking those ducts. We get people asking us to duct their garage and here in Oregon it is illegal because your ducting can pull carbon monoxide back to your home as well as many of the chemical fumes/VOC's from commonly stored items. Sorry to be a debbie downer bit leave those vents blocked off if you ever plan on starting you car in the garage, door open or not.

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM

The grinder can be rented for not too bad of a price.

The epoxy is easy to DIY. I would invest in an 18" roller to do it.

I did the Lowe's DIY epoxy almost 4 years ago in my garage, still looks pretty good. Cost me about $300 for 3 coats of color and 3 of clear. My garage is around 625 sq/ft. Only areas that show wear are melting into it from red hot stuff falling on the floor and an area near my welding bench that got a bunch of snowmelt and the metal dust on the floor rusted and stained the floor. Oh well though, it's a garage.
I'd guess doesn't hold up quite as well as the pro installed stuff, but they wanted about $6000 to do mine. I can redo mine a dozen times and still be ahead. I can deal with $300 every 6-7 years.

How does that racedeck hold up to welding, grinding, torch cutting, etc? Is it fire retardant?

For the HVAC in your garage, yeah, needs to be on a separate system not tied into the houses. Better off installing a window type AC or it's own unit vs killing your family.
One house I lived in just had the forced air furnace in the garage. There was some air leakage I guess and if I did anything that made fumes in the garage (painting, welding, paint stripper, etc) it would stink up the WHOLE house almost instantly. I installed CO detector in a hurry after I realized that and yes they did go off from time to time (sleezebag landlord wouldn't fix it, told us to park outside)

Last edited by nate379; 06-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korntera View Post
As an owner of a heating and AC company I highly recommend against unblocking those ducts. We get people asking us to duct their garage and here in Oregon it is illegal because your ducting can pull carbon monoxide back to your home as well as many of the chemical fumes/VOC's from commonly stored items. Sorry to be a debbie downer bit leave those vents blocked off if you ever plan on starting you car in the garage, door open or not.
Never thought about it like that. Tis true.

Quote:
Holds up great
I am shocked---- spills come up easy--- the four post lift is actually sitting on top of the tiles.
Brake fluid does not affect at all--- I have had some nasty spills!!
Hmm, so it doesn't run between the tiles then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
My Race deck flooring is from 2000. It does not have a sheen like yours, I wish it did. If I had it to do again, I would not have put yellow where I drive over it all the time. I can't keep it clean.
Ron
Yeah, I'm still debating on what colors/design to use. Decisions, decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
I went with the epoxy stuff since I'm in Colorado - that means lots of winter days where I pull in with crap/snow all over the car (other car) and I didn't want all the crap dripping into the tiles where it would be hard to clean (or harder). I paid $1500 for mine, 410 sq/ft total (so roughly $4/sqft)
$4 a sqft isn't too bad. That would add up to around $2700 for my garage then, which is just above how much racedeck quoted me. I guess I'll just have to call around for some quotes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in