My Lotus Barn - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

One of - in my opinion - the coolest features of the Barn is the system for hanging artwork. The walls are steel, so if a hole is made to hang art it is permanent and I didn't want to mess up the walls permanently for the artwork.

I envisioned cycling artwork through the building so a visitor might find different artwork every time they came (currently all the artwork hanging is what I have framed, but I have another 100+ things to frame so...). I did some looking at various commercial systems that museums use. They have a number of systems that are excellent for home use, but would not fit my application. For two reasons, they are fairly expensive (not an issue if you are doing a single 10 ft wall, but when you are doing 300 ft it makes a difference) and the rails from the prefab system had predrilled holes that were not space properly for the corrugations in the steel lining my wall.

So what I did was buy 8-12ft lengths of stock 1x1/8 in aluminum. Then custum cut them to length. Drilled holes to mount - to do this I had to tape the strips to the wall, make marks, then take it down again and drill because while the panels are uniform, there is some variability in how they overlap so I couldn't just make holes 9 inches apart. Then I used a drill mounted brass brush to finish the surface with random swirls. And attached them to the wall along the large ridges of the liner panles (which are raised 3/4 inches from the base of the panel) They are attached with stainless screws and stainless/neoprene cupped washers.

To hang the art I bought a variety of commercial rods, wires and hooks from AS Hanging Systems. My system mimic AS Hanging Systems Contempo system. Gallery Hanging Systems - Picture Hanging Systems, Security Art Hangers - AS Hanging Systems Home

Here are some really boring detail shots of the rails:
Attached Images

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

As I mentioned earlier, the Barn is heated. I chose radiant floor for it's efficiency. One drawback it that it takes a long time to increase the temp in the building, by the same token it takes a long time to cool off. I envisioned leaving the Barn at a cold but above freezing temperatur of 45F, than cranking the heat up to 60F for the time I wanted to do something in there. But it takes about 24 hours and a crap load of heating oil to do it. So I leave the temp at 65F now at all times during the Winter. Temps get higher on Sunny days. I have an 875 gallon capacity for storing oil (tanks can be seen in one of the exterior shots). The one and only year I have heated the building so far I didn't need any more than that and had some leftover. Part of the 875 gal capacity is a 55 gal drum located next to the furnace in the furnace room. The furnace can draw oil directly from the exterior tanks, or I can switch it to the 55 gal drum. When I have waste oil I pour it into the 55 gal drum, then use a pump to top off the drum and dilute it with home heating oil. When dilute it make little difference to the heater, and save me a few bucks in heating oil and the hassle of disposal.

The room for the furnace by the way is a good place to stor my large vacuum, mop bucket etc.

Hot water is supplied to the bathroom with a point of service hot water heater. Thes units draw a massive amount of current when in use, but since they only use the power when in use (water flowing) they don't use anywhere near as much power as a traditional water heater. For a infrequently used area they are fantastic, and take up very little space to boot. They can be purchased according to amount of hot water needed per minute. I chose a flow rate that would allow for a nice hot shower.

Pics of Furnace/55gal drum, manifolds for radiant floor heat, point of service water heater.
Attached Images

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

post #23 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Air

I was advised by another garage guy to keep the compressor outside - due to noise, and to plumb pipes into the walls so air outlets where avilable throughout the building. I didn't listen. Not because it was good advice, but because I didn't want the expense of doing so I didn't need the utility.

While I have air tools I rarely use them. For the most part air for me is to fill tires. So I bought an upright compressor with a reasonable capacity and pressure (mine was actually fairly inexpensive since it was a floor model at Sears), then I bought a ratcheting wall mount hose reel with 100 ft of hose Legacy MFG L8310 - Levelwind Retractable Hose Reel for Air with 3/8 in. ID x 100 ft. Hose.

Now I have enough hose to reach anywhere in the barn. I can even drag it all the way to my houses garage.

The only detractor is indeed the noise, but since I don't use all that much air it isn't a major issue.
Attached Images

post #24 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 AM

Wow!!!

I'm so pleased you have been kind enough to share this with us. Truly an inspiration!
post #25 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:22 AM

...thanks so much for sharing - your europa is gorgeous!..

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #26 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Moving car around.

For the most part with the size of the Barn and the number of cars I can either push or drive the cars to position them. But if I get any more cars - and you know I will - positioning them will be an issue. So when I bought my lift I also picked up a set of car dollies. They work quite well, but it takes a fair amount of time to set them up and put them away so I often jus do the drive back and forth a bunch of time to get a car parked.

They are very useful if a car does't run. Or if you want to get cars really close together. Or if you want to position car just right - like the fan pattern I did for the Elans, Elise and Europa for the photos.

One caution is the depth you slide them under the car. Lotus are low. The dollies I bought are set up to for really wide wheels. If you just push them under just about any Lotus you will smack them against the undercarriage. So careful placement just deep enough to capture the tires is in order.
Attached Images

post #27 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

One final note. I needed doorstops for the man doors of the Barn. I have a bit of a breeze through my property and doors left open will suddenly slam shut or blow wide open. Regular wood wedges cut from a 2x4 didn't work because the doors are hung a bit high. So I racked my brain for another solution, and also figured I should stick with Lotus tradition of using one part for more than one purpose. So I bought a couple of wheel chocks at Harbor Freight for about $7 each.

Voila!
Attached Images

post #28 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus69f2 View Post
I live in an area of PA called PA Dutch Country which is well known for Hex signs that decorate barns. I live just off of a road known as the Hex Highway for the number of hex sign decorated barns that used to be visible from the road. Since my barn's rear view is visible, I decided to continue the tradition. Below are closer views of both of the hex signs.
I grew up in the neighborhood. My grandparents ran gas stations and a restaurant from the 1930's until the 80's within a mile of Kyle's place. No question he accurately captured the essence of the building decorations of the environment around him. The green trim on white buildings was classic in the area, used on houses, outbuildings, and commercial buildings as well.

But not barns! My only quibble would be calling the building a barn does stretch it a bit from the local culture. No respectable farmer in that part of the world would have a barn without two floors both of which should be accessible to driving equipment and living stock into them, i.e. built against a hill, a style called "bank barns" and they would be painted RED. See www.paedrigdesign.com - Pennsylvania German Barn Star Pictures

But, hey, its fantastic, Kyle. Every generation has its own interpretive based on older motifs. You have every reason to be proud. And as you know SSRIs can be effective if the OCD starts interfering with a normal life!

--K

PS Definition of a hobby: Black hole to put money and effort.
post #29 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

If anyone has questions, or wants more detail on any of the features covered already or otherwise, just post and I'll do my best to clarify.

If you'd like to see it in person than come to my event:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f110...4/#post1319136

If you can't make the event, but you are going to be in the area, PM me and if I am available I'll give you the personal tour.

post #30 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 AM

OH WOW.

'06 Lotus Elise (Laser Blue/Black/Sport-Pack/Touring-Pack/Hardtop/TRD airbox/Stage-II Exhaust) - VIDEO
post #31 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 AM

sick
post #32 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:48 AM

*drool* A perfect home for all your Lotus toys (and such a cool collection too ) !

NOTFWD.com (NOT Front Wheel Drive)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
......Go backwards. Go back to a time when there were no Manettinos, no ASR, no power steering, no lifeless video game-like shift paddles, no buttery smooth manual gearboxes, no featherweight clutches, no functional air conditioning.....
post #33 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 AM
rnr

Fantastic barn and collection.

I'd love to see more pics of the cars and hear more about them. I'm sure you must have had some interesting acquisition stories over the years (and being a Lotus probably the occasional breakdown story as well )

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #34 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM

That barn has PA written all over it. Nice set-up.

the1sen: why move forward with design when you can recreate a monstrosity from the past?
FIL: Have you ever heard of a threesome? I know its her sister, but they are Swedish. That $hit is totally accepted over there.
post #35 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM

Great to see an old line Lotus Ltd member here on EliseTalk...er, LotusTalk. I knew from the first photo that the barn had to be in PA! Glad you were not shy about showing off the collection. Love the X180-R!

Rich

(Originally from CT, in Lotus Ltd since way back in 1994 or so.)
post #36 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Excellent barn and collection!

Turn your flatscreen TV into a work of art.
Modern Art DVD | Plasma Aquarium DVD | Widescreen Fireplace DVD
07 Exige S - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, LSD, Touring pack
06 Range Rover Supercharged - Java Black
06 Range Rover Sport - Java Black
05 Elise - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, Touring pack
post #37 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 AM

True... You ARE a [email protected] of the First Water amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus69f2 View Post
For a long time I have debated whether I ought to do this or not, and finally decided to go for it.

I've collected Lotus cars for some time now and have accumulated a decent collection of not only cars, but also artwork and ephemera.

My first house had only a 1 car garage and my collection quickly outgrew it, so when I built a house on some acreage I decided to build a Barn just for my Lotus (or more accurately, I bought the acreage to build the Barn - the house was a necessary add on).

I will be the first to admit that I am to an extent "showing off", but I decided to post this thread to Lotus Talk so I could share my experience with making a dedicated Barn for my Lotus with others who might be considering doing the same, and perhaps even help out those who are not able to follow suit, but could use some of my ideas or experiences to improve their own space.

Feel free to ask questions and make comments. I'll do my best to add photos of requested details and answer what and why questions as they come up. Just be patient.

So here goes......
Great start but you require a corner with a over-stuffed couch, two Big-Azz La-Z-Boy chairs, and a fridge full of various beers resting on a well-worn Persian area rug.

You're missing a flat screen too.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
post #38 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM

WOW!!! Can't wait to visit your "barn" next week.
post #39 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM

Looks good... except your Mark IV needs a bit of polishing and the X180R needs some track time!

Hope to see you next weekend.
post #40 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Hi Kyle

I have had the pleasure of visiting a few 'Lotus Barns' in the U.S.....Dave Koski's, Dave Nagler's, Nigel Harrison's. Can't wait to have a guided tour around yours, it look amazing.

I must admit the Chapman Barn does just have the edge, with 25 F1 Lotuses. But then they have had a head start...............

Nice job Sir

Best wishes from Norfolk

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in