My Lotus Barn - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Garage
Kyle,

That's one mighty fine garage/barn, well done indeed.
Seeing that you have a 69 in B config I have a question. A friend has a formula B 69 but as it did not come with any info regarding tire set up, what is the correct tire pressure (cold) for the car. He has what looks to be the same size wheels as what you have on yours.

I've attached a photo of the car.

Thanks,

Al B
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Amazing! Too bad I can't make it this Sat to check it out (Ouch! Kicking myself).

Richard

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
post #123 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Another ebay find. i don't remember what i bought it for, but I used to say (before I accumulated way too many things) that if it was less than $20 I'd buy just about anything Lotus, and if it was less than $40 I'd buy if it was unique. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $40. It came framed already and depicts 4 different early race cars.

From top to bottom:

The much maligned Type 30

2 Eleven at the start line

A Type 18 F1

A Type 19 (basically a 2 seat Type 18 F1 for sports racing)
Attached Images

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/

post #124 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Around the time I bought the M100, Lotus were actively racing the X180R Esprits in IMSA Bridgestone Supercars. I immediately became a fan and followed their progress closely. John Guth from Rothrock even had Doc Bundy call me at home to invite me into their paddock at a race at Lime Rock.

I decided it would be really cool to one day own one. The Lotus Sport Team ran a promotion, that by joining their club you could have a chance at winning one so I joined. The promotion never panned out becuase of litigation issues. Time passed and I had almost forgotten about it until one race at Road Atlanta I ran into Arnie Johnson and asked if I could ever buy one. He said the litigation had been settled and gave me a price. I sent him a check when I got home.

The X180R appelation include three different version. The original 2 race cars ran in SCCA World Challenge and kicked the *ss of the Corvettes that owned the series at the time. These 2 cars were designated Type 105's. Regulations required 20 cars to be homologated 20 street homologation specials were built up that also carried the type number 105. Having learned some things in need of updating Lotus built 3 additional cars with enough updates to give a new number and these were designated Type 106. The original racing 105's were both updated to 106 specs. My car is a 106.

It has some succes on the track. It was the primary car to go to the Hollywood guys when then ran with the team. Bobby Carradine had a few race wins. ANd Paul Newman drove it as well. When I bought it pro divers Doc Bundy, David Murray and Andy Pilgrim all concurred and said they thought my chassis handled the best. It eventually became known as the Entreprenuer Car for the EntrePrenuer Magazine sponsorship and driver Peter Shea (who owned Entreprenuer Magazine). It was Peter who added the yellow and blue stripes.
Attached Images

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

Last edited by lotus69f2; 09-04-2009 at 04:40 AM.
post #125 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

After I bought it Lotus Cars USA allowed me to store it with them, and I raced it twice at Road Atlanta. The first time I blew upp the ring and pinion. Arnie rebuilt it for me, then the second time the engine went. At that point it sat until a couple of guys organized another team and I made an agreement with them to use my car in return for their giving it back with a newly built engine and in restored condition. They rebuilt the engine and then promptly ran out of money. The new engine never saw the track. When I took possesion again they told me I was the only person who made out on the entire endeavor. I guess they were right.

Once I had it in my possession I had no place to store it. Fortunately my boss has a large barn and said I could store it there. Iwould run up every once in a while and start it, and run it up and down his 1/4 mile driveway, but the interval s got longer and longer until I just got too busy to do it. When I finally solved my storage issue it would not start at all. I tracked it down to the fuel injectors which surely have gasoline lacquer in them. That's why it is on the lift!
Attached Images

post #126 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM
TTP

Great collection! Was that Chris Boardmans Lotus bike?
post #127 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Doc Bundy is really cool. He coached me on my line at Barber during the last LOG (one comment on one corner and he thought I was being a bit too aggressive in another corner).

That is one sweet Esprit! Any pics of the interior?

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter
post #128 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

The X180r is the only Lotus I own that is not in proper operating condition. It won't take too much work to get it running, but I think it will take a lot of work to make it track worthy. And there is the dilemma. If I spend the money to make it cosmetically nice, I'll have a car for occassional track use only. Or I could just get more road cars.

I really don't want to get rid of it because it is significant to me in terms of how I became a Lotus enthusiast. And it is also significant in Lotus history in that - aside from F1 - there was a very large gap between when the factory actually built and entered production based race cars in professional racing.

In photos below, note Type 108 sticker on gas cap cover, special Lotus Sport Team custon tool for holding up bonnet, a Wickens logo on chassis plate, custom Revolution Wheel, and "the office".
Attached Images

post #129 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTP View Post
Great collection! Was that Chris Boardmans Lotus bike?
Mavic poster is Boardman and his bike.

post #130 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Poster of Bundy and Murry sandwhiching Brumos Porsche was part of bundle of trinkets obtained by joining team and entering contest.
Attached Images

post #131 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
TTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus69f2 View Post
Mavic poster is Boardman and his bike.
Ah thanks. I hadn't read the previous posts.
post #132 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Some of my artwork is driver autographed. Many have stories that go along with them.

I picked up this Photo of Emerson Fittipaldi when I was racing a Sebring. At the time I had little experience and looked at the photo as a nondescript shot of Emmo driving a Lotus 72, which is why I bought it, I wanted an image of both a 72 and Emmo. Those in the know will immediately know that the track is Watkins Glen - because of the light blue ARMCO.

A friend of mine works for Penske and at the time was a fabricator for his CART Team and was a wheel man on Tracy's crew. Emmo was on the team as well, and my friend, Rich, invited me to the CART race at Nazareth. I was unable to go because of work, and I was not able to get out of it so I didn't go, but I gave a few things to Rich and asked if he could get Emmo to sign for me.

It rained at the event, so since it is an oval course, no track time. Rich said uncharacteristically Emmo was hanging out with the crew and chatting history, so Rich figured it would be a good time to break out the photo. According to Rich, Emmo took one look at the Glen photo and immediately lit up. "This is the best car I ever drove" was the first thing out of his mouth (but say it in your head with a thick Brazilian accent). He then went on to say it was his first F1 win and waxed elequent on the car and the Team etc. etc. etc. And I wasn't there! Doh!

If you don't already know. That particular race is legend in Lotus history. In 1970 Jochen Rindt was leading the World Championship when he met his untimely demise at Monza when he craseh his 72 and submarined under the belts. Morale was very low within the Team and Emmo was hastily promoted to the F1 team, from F3. THe Glen was only his third race, and by winning he clinched the Championship for Rindt, and similar to Hills win in Spain after Clark's death, restored morale and motivation to Chapman and the rest of Team Lotus.
Attached Images

Last edited by lotus69f2; 08-06-2009 at 04:54 AM.
post #133 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

I was invited to Indy by the track medical staff to observe their operations. Not much was happening in the hospital after the tour, so I spent a lot of time in Gasolina Alley and watching practice. I took along a print of Mario in the Type 79 to try and get it autographed. I stood in front of his garage for about 3 hours waiting for him to come out to no avail. Finally I had to go to the bathroom so bad, I gave up and sought relief. When I returnd there was a throng of people and Mario was out signing stuff. Crap! I pushed my way through as best I could to get near the front. Mario made eye contact and came towards me - I think he realized I was waiting for a long time and selected me out, at least that's my version of the story. Most of the stuff people were getting signed was K-Mart/Havoline branded current CART trinkets. When he saw my Lotus poster he hesitated, gazed at the image for a while, then grinned, signed and handed it back. It was the only signature I witnessed that day that was not done like an automaton.
Attached Images

post #134 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 AM

Yeah!!! This is THE Esprit, Kyle

Whenever you have the idea to sell this baby ---> call me

BTW: the post is on its way.

gospeedv8

1962 Lotus Type 18/21, 1969 Lotus Type 61FF, 1977 Lotus Elite 504,
1989 Lotus Excel SE, 1993 Lotus Type 110, 1996 Lotus Esprit V8,
1997 Lotus Esprit V8, 1998 Lotus Elise, 1999 Lotus Elise,
2015 Caterham S3
post #135 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

At one point in SVRA's history they used Jesse Alexander's photographic art as cover material for their newsletter. There was always a "if you want a copy of this image....." blurb on the inside. There was one issue that showed Moss in Walker's Lotus 18 going past the pits in Monaco. I liked it and called Jesse to see if I could get a copy. He obliged and printed one just for me. It arrived autographed by him. I thought it would be cool to get it autographed by Moss and Walker also, so before framing it I continued it's long journey. Jesse lives in CA, I in PA, so it's first trip was coast to coast. I was unable to make it to the Lotus feature at Monterey where I know Stirling would be in attendance, so I aksed my buddy Zack Zarcadoulas to take it with him and get the signature. So off it went, first to Atlanta, then back to CA where Zack duly tracked down Stirling and got it autographed, then back to Atlanta and on the PA again. Next step, Walker.

Through some sourced I obtained Rob Walkers address and phone number. I wasn't sure how to proceed, because I didn't want to just mail the image to him and expect him to sign it and mail it back, but I thought it intrusive to call and ask permission. I suppose I could have written first and when given permission then sent it, but I was impatient and decided to call.

Ring, ring, ring. An old woman answered the phone. Old lady voice with upper crust British accent "Hello" Me "Hello, my name is Kyle Kaulback and I am calling from the States, may I please speak to Mr Rob Walker" Old Lady voice with upper crust Birtish accent "Yes, one second please" slight pause then heard distantly "Father, it's a man from the States". Another longer pause. Rob Walker, in an even older sounding, somewhat frail upper crust British accent "Yes, how can a assist you".

From there a 45 minute conversation ensued as he told me story after stroy of his racing life, mostly about Lotus because he know I was a Lotus enthusiasts. Yes, he would be happy to autograph both the image and his recently published autobiography. No, I didn't need to send return postage.

He was one of the most gracious and affable gentleman I have ever come across, and I am thrilled to have spent a few moments of my life in converstion with him.

A trip back and forth across the pond, and the triumvirate was complete.
Attached Images

Last edited by lotus69f2; 09-04-2009 at 04:46 AM.
post #136 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Kyle,

That's one mighty fine garage/barn, well done indeed.
Seeing that you have a 69 in B config I have a question. A friend has a formula B 69 but as it did not come with any info regarding tire set up, what is the correct tire pressure (cold) for the car. He has what looks to be the same size wheels as what you have on yours.

I've attached a photo of the car.

Thanks,

Al B
Al,

I beleive that is John Arnolds car. originally an F3 configuration, now FB. I sent him some info on the original specification for the FB rear wing.

Our starting pressures on the 69 cold range from 13-15. Pleas pass on the info.

post #137 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

At LOG 27 in CO I had the opportunity to speak briefly with Emerson Fittipaldi. That is until some wanker rudely wedged himself between us and drug him away. During our brief interaction we discussed the Type 72D brought in by Classic Team Lotus and I finally got to hear him say - in a thick Brazilian accent - "This is the best car I ever drove"

He was kind enough to inquire about my Lotus and I remarked I had a Type 69, and that I knew he had driven a Type 69 as well in both F3 and F2 specifications, so conversation turned to that model. He was as complimentary of the 69 as he was the 72. I can say, about my Type 69, and to use Emersons words.."This is the best car I ever drove"
Attached Images

post #138 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I had been racing the 61 for some time and getting frustrated by its limitations. I knew I could be a better driver, but was limited by the amount of seat time I was getting, and also knew that no matter how good I drove I still wouldn't be able to keep up with the good drivers (probably better than me) who drove better cars, especially the Lotus Type 69 FF and the Titan Mark 6. I also was getting a more intense itch to get another Lotus. I could have gotten the Type 69 in FF form, but I didn't think it would be any sort of challenge, only quicker and more competitive by virtue of design, so I sought out a Lotus in FB, F Atl, or F2 spec. An inquiry with German 59/69 enthusiast Richard Spelberg brought me to Claudia Neuhaus who was looking to sell the 69 she was running out of Freddie Kumschick's shop in Switzerland in the European Historic F2 series.

Richard said my car was originally on the Lotus stand in the Motor Racing Show in London 1971, and was destined for Canadian Racer Craig Hill as a winged Formula B, but in it's current spec had a fuel injected Cosworth BDA that was the most common engine in the European Historic Formula 2 series.

It was in a yellow with green stripe livery when I bought it, which I kept for a time before recently changing it back to its original Castrol GTX livery. I was able to contact Craig Hill - who sent me a single photo that he uses as his computers wall paper, remarking he wished he had never gotten rid of the car. Between his photo and some pictures supplied by Spelberg of the car on the show stand, and some pictures of similarly liveried Lotus race cars I plucked off the net, I re-liveried my car.

Bob Harrington, a Canadian racing historian and photographer of vintage racing cars was well aware of my car for years and had photographed it many times. The first time I had it out in Castrol livery he approached me and asked if it was Craig Hill's car to which I answered in the affirmative. He said it looked just like it did in period.
Attached Images

Last edited by lotus69f2; 09-04-2009 at 04:49 AM.
post #139 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Despite the cars relatively unsophisticated design - compared, that is, to the RALT RT1 and MARCH 79's I regularly compete against - I am quite competitive. I think this speaks well for the original designers at Lotus Components. The 69 handles very much like my Type 61, only better and faster. It is truly a joy to drive and I cherish every second behind the wheel. Just sitting in the cockpit still gives me thrills.

The 250hp BDA, big slick Avons, and downforce providing wings make it s stellar performer.
Attached Images

Last edited by lotus69f2; 09-04-2009 at 04:49 AM.
post #140 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus69f2 View Post
Around the time I bought the M100, Lotus were actively racing the X180R Esprits in IMSA Bridgestone Supercars. I immediately became a fan and followed their progress closely. John Guth from Rothrock even had Doc Bundy call me at home to invite me into their paddock at a race at Lime Rock.

I decided it would be really cool to one day own one. The Lotus Sport Team ran a promotion, that by joining their club you could have a chance at winning one so I joined. The promotion never panned out becuase of litigation issues. Time passed and I had almost forgotten about it until one race at Road Atlanta I ran into Arnie Johnson and asked if I could ever buy one. He said the litigation had been settled and gave me a orice. i sent him a check when I got home.

The X180R appelation include three different version. The original 2 race cars ran in SCCA World Challenge and kicked the *ss of the Corvettes that owned the series at the time. These 2 cars were designated Type 105's. Regulations required 20 cars to be homologated 20 atreet ho,ologation specials were built up that also carried the type number 105. Having learned some things in need of updating Lotus built 3 additional cars with enough updates to give a new number and these were designated Type 106. My car is a 106.
And the X180R that Newman (and others) drove will be in the Lotus section at a car show in Sykesville, MD this weekend. Part of the Sykesville Day celebration...an open car show that has, for no obvious reason, a Lotus class.

Kevin McGovern, who owns what's left of the X180R race cars, will have one of the cars there.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in