My Lotus Barn - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus270 View Post
Hey Kyle,
You need to cut this out. I'm supposed to be treating patients and all I want to do is sit in front of my laptop and drool over your cars and barn!

Jim A
BTW one more to go. Stay tuned will be up in a few hours.

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM

I can't think of anything to say other than

I don't know that i'll ever have the opportunity to drive any of those cars in my life, but i can dream. I'd love to take a real tour of the barn some day, perhaps around LOG next year.
post #163 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Despite owning the Plus 2 I still had a hankering for a Cortina and was actively searching for one. In the process of doing so I also was looking at a number of other cars including an S2 Elan.

Cars Dawydiak had been listing a really nice Europa for some time and I had followed the asking prices downward spiral as if it was my stock portfolio. When it finally got down to what I considered reasonable I called and put in an offer. A counteroffer later and we made a deal.

For the longest time I didn't quite get what people saw in Europas but this particular one really piqued my interest. Since getting it I have found it to be a fantastic drivers car. Of all my road cars it is definately my favorite to drive.
Attached Images

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

post #164 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

There is so much to like about this particular car. I love the Colorado Orange, it is the classic equivalant of Chrome Orange. And since I like my Lotus to be original, I don't think I could find a more original car than this one. There is a sticker in the glove compartment that tells you what size wheel and tire are supposed to go on the car. The original tool kit is with it and complete. And, many people just wouldn't care about this, but, the original smog equipment is installed as well. Note the long black vapor canister at the front of the engine bay, and the silver cross-over tubes to warm the intake with hot exhaust at start up. Most Europas had this eaquipment removed at the time the customer took delivery. I even love the lack of radio. Why listen to the radio when there is a Lotus Twin-Cam a few inches behind your ear.

I recently had a teenage girl, Lena, staying with us for a week. I offered to take her for a ride in a Lotus as I drove the proposed route for a scenic drive. When I asked her which car she wanted to go in it was not surprising that she chose the Elise.

A few days later I got a call from AAA that my Antique plate was in, but the DMV had messed up the VIN on the title, and could I bring the car down to confirm the VIN, and I could pick up the plates and file the paperwork for VIN correction at the same time. I asked Lena if she would like to come along, and, of course, she did. After driving in the Europa she declared it to be more fun than the Elise. Speaks volumes really.
Attached Images

Last edited by lotus69f2; 09-04-2009 at 04:58 AM.
post #165 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Like so many things Lotus I have gotten involved in this thread got out of control. What started as a simple documentation and showing of my Barn became a documentary. It took a lot of time, but I was happy to do it and had fun to boot.

I hope those who have and who will read this thread will enjoy it, learn something and come away with a greater appreciation for and enthusiasm for Lotus.

If anyone would like more information on anything I've posted, or sees something in a photo that isn't explained, or has an unanswered question about the design and execution of the Barn, just post and I'll do my best to help.

For now though, this is the end.
Attached Images

post #166 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok, this is the end.
Attached Images

post #167 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus69f2 View Post
Like so many things Lotus I have gotten involved in this thread got out of control. What started as a simple documentation and showing of my Barn became a documentary. It took a lot of time, but I was happy to do it and had fun to boot.

I hope those who have and who will read this thread will enjoy it, learn something and come away with a greater appreciation for and enthusiasm for Lotus.
I'm glad it got "out of control", i've enjoyed reading the story, and like i said, if i could ever see the barn in person i'd enjoy it greatly. I hope i can get to a place where i can have a collection of cars and a place to store them even close to this.
post #168 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I told him the local dealer was Rothrock, and how to get there, and suggested it would be a good idea to visit and ask about ordering one. A week later he called me again to tell me he had just bought one. Storm Titanium, Sport and Touring, hard top. Fully loaded.

I offered right away to keep the Elise for him. He accepted and as of Easter 2009 she'd been in the Barn. Not my car, but part of the stable. At least for now.
...just a quick point of clarification - the pictured car is arctic silver, not storm titanium...

Quote:
Ok, this is the end.
...thank you so, so much for posting this - your thread has been a real treat to read over the past few days...and your europa is still gorgeous!..

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #169 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Yes, this has been one of the best threads on Lotus Talk in a long while.

Thanks for being so generous with the community!

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter
post #170 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Kyle I have been to your barn.......Ive seen your cars.....but this post has been AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing your barn to this community!!
post #171 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...m... View Post
...just a quick point of clarification - the pictured car is arctic silver, not storm titanium...:
I stand corrected, paint code on Elise is B92 Arctic Silver. Prior post is corrected

Quote:
...thank you so, so much for posting this - your thread has been a real treat to read over the past few days...and your europa is still gorgeous!..
Thank you. And I agree with your assesment of the Europa. I have had it long enough to look at it as routine, but every time I walk into the Barn my eyes are immediately drawn to it.

post #172 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 AM

Kyle - Thanks for sharing all of the great photos on your Lotus barn and wonderful contents. Thought I'd put in my two cents and compliment you on the Plus2S - my personal favorite! It's on my current wish list although I've never driven one. Could you post a little more info on your ownership history and driving impressions. It seems to be a pretty refined car with the extra space, wonderful dash layout, and 5-speed box. How is it to drive on a warm summer day? Being a closed coupe, do you get a good air flow thru the interior? I've seem some cabriolet conversions available in England that would take care of that potential problem but have never seen one stateside. Cheers! Steve
post #173 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hethel_haus View Post
Kyle - Thanks for sharing all of the great photos on your Lotus barn and wonderful contents. Thought I'd put in my two cents and compliment you on the Plus2S - my personal favorite! It's on my current wish list although I've never driven one. Could you post a little more info on your ownership history and driving impressions. It seems to be a pretty refined car with the extra space, wonderful dash layout, and 5-speed box. How is it to drive on a warm summer day? Being a closed coupe, do you get a good air flow thru the interior? I've seem some cabriolet conversions available in England that would take care of that potential problem but have never seen one stateside. Cheers! Steve
I do not have extensive seat time in the Plus2 yet, but the I have I have enjoyed immensely. The start from stop has a little of the axle wind up Elans of all kinds are famous for. The seating position is really comfortable. There is not problem with ventilation. With windows closed and vents open there is plenty of flow through the passenger compartment. With windows open there is even more air flow but not a lot of buffeting. I think this is becaue the seats are fairly far forward relative to the the window and that there are good extraction vents in the rear. The boot is vacuous, I could easily fit enough luggage for my wife and I to last a weekend.

I probably need new dampers in my car because I don't find it as reponsive as I would like in twisty road driving, and i do beleive it is the dampers, rather than the design itself. Highway driving is a real pleasure. Driving at higher than legal speed for extended periods is easy - at least it is with the 5 speed, I have had the pleasure of a 4 speed Plus 2. The cabin and dash, in the Plus 2S 130/5 at least is very luxurious, quite srprising really for a Lotus. But then in period it was quite expensive so it needed to be well appointed. There are guages for everything, a map light, a radio (AM) and even an ambient temperature guage.

I love mine, but if when I was buying one of the JPS Plus 2's were available I would have gone for it. The JPS color scheme it universally elegant, but the Plus with a black body and gold metal flake roof is sublime.

I glad you enjoyed my presentation. Good luck in your quest for a Plus 2. Nice ones are hard to find.

Cheers,

post #174 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM

I told you, Kyle, you've made some kind of Lotustalk history here. I also believe that tomorrow's event will extend the liefspan of this thread quite a lot.
post #175 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Kyle -- I had a great time visiting your Lotus Barn during the PALS event on Saturday. I made a little video:

YouTube - ULTIMATE LOTUS GARAGE!
post #176 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Great video Jim, if I had known you were doing a video I would have made myself available to open the cars up more. Well done indeed.

post #177 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

From a PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeone
hey, do you have a closeup shot of the first left picture in this image?
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...barn-pan-2.jpg

I am fascinated by the x180r and i dont think ive ever seen that poster/art.

shade
This poster was done by graphic artist Dave FeFevers. Dave was an active member of Lotus Limited during the time of the Lotus Sport X180R racing team, and friends with Doc Bundy. To commemorate Doc's '92 IMSA Bridgestone Supercars Drivers Championship Dave did his own limited edition artwork and print. I don't know that they were ever on sale. I got mine from My friend and fellow Lotus enthusiast Zack Zarcadoulas. The print is numbered - mine is 24/92, and signed by Dave and Doc.

Dave also did the artwork for the LOG 16 event poster which featured the Esprit. Since you got me thinking about him I pulled it out of my portfolio and am going to get it framed for hanging in the Barn along with a gift from gospeedv8.
Attached Images

post #178 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Both posters are fantastic ^^^.
And your other pics are fantastic.
And your cars are fantastic.

And your barn is fantastic.

gospeedv8

1962 Lotus Type 18/21, 1969 Lotus Type 61FF, 1977 Lotus Elite 504,
1989 Lotus Excel SE, 1993 Lotus Type 110, 1996 Lotus Esprit V8,
1997 Lotus Esprit V8, 1998 Lotus Elise, 1999 Lotus Elise,
2015 Caterham S3
post #179 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Kyle also forgot to mention that his barn is pretty useful for working on cars We (actually I) ran into a few issues fitting the driving lights (a rusty bolt and hands to big to reach the connectors) so Kyle offered to help remove the Clam and do it at his place. (I still haven't thanked him for assuming the Lotus position under the dash to plug in the relay) So heres a few pics of the barn in 'work mode' and my girl with kyles 'family' during her sleepover.
Attached Images

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #180 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Compressor noise, epoxy life

If you made a U shaped enclosure around the air compressor and lined it with sound dampening panels, the compressor would be a lot more acceptable.

Sorry hearing about your experience with epoxy floor paint. There are lots of brands out there. The best will literally last 20 years being subjected to acids, etc. They will not show wear or lift due to hot tires.

David
1968 36/7988
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in