My new garage! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
My new garage!

Closed on my house this week and I'm excited about my garage. The house we bought used to serve as the show house for our neighborhood and the garage was used as the office. The turned it back into a normal garage when it was originally sold. Because it used to be an office, they added lots of recessed lighting, there is plumbing for a sink (which will be great so I can wash my hands there and not in the kitchen sink after working on the cars), they stained the floor of the 2 car side (even though it looks like crap and will get redone), and last but not least the garage is ducted for a/c and heat. The home inspector told me the ducts are just disconnected and blocked off and all I would need to do is reconnect them. Here are some pics of it:

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't hook up the heat/ac in the garage? There isn't a thermostat in the garage so I imagine there wouldn't be too significant increase in my electric bill. Thoughts?

I plan on probably painting the garage this weekend and starting to put up all my banners/posters. I have about 60-70 bmw/porsche/lotus posters and I'll have to pick out my favorite 7 or 8 I guess! I'll update the thread once I start working on the garage and getting things done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:13 PM

If you push air into your garage, you will need to have a return duct... Which means fumes from your garage entering your house... Oh yeah, and it is against code in every state. Pipe a separate heater in the garage if you want heat.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Drew - Congrats on the house, garage looks great.

I'm pretty sure you only need a return to make the garage cool and heat more efficiently. It is not necessary to push air or heat into the garage for you to have a return in there. I would not add a return as it will make the rest of your home smell like the garage. I would connect the ducts and then just close the vents in the garage and only open them if you are planning on working on one of the cars. Maybe the night before or something.

Another thought is just to move back here to Tampa!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:58 PM

Garage
Dumb question. Why do you need a return duct if your just blowing air into the garage which could have its own venting?

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Dumb question. Why do you need a return duct if your just blowing air into the garage which could have its own venting?
I completely agree. I"m in the process of getting new AC unit and air handler installed into my hose, and I'm talking to the guys about adding a couple of ducts (4) to the garage. Ideally, I would add a unit to the garage to be on its own and turn it on only when working in the garage, but his alternative is much cheaper.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:10 PM

What surfboard is leaning against the wall?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Garage
We added a storage room a few years back, has an HVAC duct run to it. No return. It stays warmer in there. I have tried not to think about how warm air just blows in and what happens to it :/

Sure appreciate you sharing the excitement of new space. Lot's of potential there. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Don't know what you've planned, but I highly recommend a professionally done epoxy floor. You can drag an anvil over ours and make no noticeable mark. Everyone who sees it loves it.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copple View Post
What surfboard is leaning against the wall?
That is actually a zap skimboard. Although my wife does have a custom made surfboard that isn't in the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramy w View Post
Drew - Congrats on the house, garage looks great.

I'm pretty sure you only need a return to make the garage cool and heat more efficiently. It is not necessary to push air or heat into the garage for you to have a return in there. I would not add a return as it will make the rest of your home smell like the garage. I would connect the ducts and then just close the vents in the garage and only open them if you are planning on working on one of the cars. Maybe the night before or something.

Another thought is just to move back here to Tampa!
Thanks! I actually thought about connecting the ducts and just closing the vents when I'm not in there working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
We added a storage room a few years back, has an HVAC duct run to it. No return. It stays warmer in there. I have tried not to think about how warm air just blows in and what happens to it :/

Sure appreciate you sharing the excitement of new space. Lot's of potential there. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Don't know what you've planned, but I highly recommend a professionally done epoxy floor. You can drag an anvil over ours and make no noticeable mark. Everyone who sees it loves it.
Professional epoxy is definitely on the list of things to do!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 PM

We just moved into a new house as well. Has a second separate two car garage that I've been dreaming up ideas for. Check out garagejournal.com sometime. The whole forum is dedicated to garage projects. I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Might want to read up a bit from both the International Residential Code and the International Fire Code...

R302.5.2 Duct penetration. Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings into the garage.

M1601.6 Independent garage HVAC systems. Furnaces and air-handling systems that supply air to living spaces shall not supply air to or return air from a garage.

Table R402.4.1.1 requires: “Air sealing shall be provided between the garage and conditioned spaces.”

If this was new construction and you wanted to heat this "garage" with duct work and use it as a garage it would be a big no no. If you wanted to heat it as a "shop" or "garage" the the insulation of the foundation would be an issue since it would need permiter insulation. If you wanted to heat it as a shop with ductwork for new construction...no problem if insulated properly.

If you wanted to go to the city to convert your garage to a shop with a permit you could. "Change of use" permits typically apply to an entire building, for example changing an old church to a home, or a home to a private school but not always. Then, zoning and codes reqm't kick in for the different use. Now, If the city looks at your shop as a living space now, be careful you don't have a zoning and setback issues. Some cities will allow garages closer to property lines since they are not a livable area, changing it to a shop might change that and require a minor variance....yuck.

Get a portable heater... 10 btu per sq ft of garage... Spend a grand and buy a 10,000btu construction heater... Should heat up your garage in 30 min... And you won't have to worry about suffocating your family.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 PM
...call me a space cowboy

It would be nice having a three car garage...heat would be a nice touch as well. Looking forward to the after pic (ie which artwork you display) Enjoy

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Just hook up the vents and open them when you want to do work and keep them closed normally. They are already there and purchasing other equipment would be simply madness. If you go to sell the house someday then unhook them again. Just don't have them open and run your car for hours in the garage or something silly like that. Having vents in a garage that are shared with a living space is that carbon monoxide can leak back into the living space from a car that is idling with the garage door shut for an extended period of time. So just don't do that. It takes a while, a lot longer than it takes you to park and turn off the engine for instance. If you want to idle a car then open the garage. The world won't end if you hook them up and the code police won't come and get you in the night. I know people that have vents in their garages and have had them for years and they are still alive and well. Keep in mind that it can take an while to make a large difference in temp change so you may plan ahead like opening them the night before or something like that.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Thanks guys. I'm in the process of trying to find some decent frames that I can buy in bulk for the few posters I'm going to put up.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Exactly.

Whatever home inspector that was and said that could be done, holy crap!.... what else did they miss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmdcc View Post
If you push air into your garage, you will need to have a return duct... Which means fumes from your garage entering your house... Oh yeah, and it is against code in every state. Pipe a separate heater in the garage if you want heat.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 AM

It would make the garage higher pressure than the house and leak fumes into the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
So, here are all my tubes of posters to choose from. Each tube has 10-15 posters in each one. I have mostly Porsche and Bmw posters so I will probably have a Bmw and a Porsche wall with a few Lotus ones scattered about. I guess the rest I will end up giving away or something seeing how I won't have a use for them anymore. I've saved and added to this collection for the past 6 or 7 years until I had a nice enough garage for them!

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM
...call me a space cowboy

Wow...art gallery You going to frame them or push pin them to the wall? Did you get a provenance from Lotus? I should receive mine next week and im wondering if I should frame and hang it in my garage or in the house.

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Ticket Magnet

it will make the rest of your home smell like the garage.

The smell of ....... Victory!!!!
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorparkian View Post
Wow...art gallery You going to frame them or push pin them to the wall? Did you get a provenance from Lotus? I should receive mine next week and im wondering if I should frame and hang it in my garage or in the house.
I'm actually gonna frame the ones I use. Probably just the thin black frames you can buy in bulk. It will look much better than being pinned up.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Congrats on the new house Drew! That garage would make a nice home for your new Chrome Orange Exige!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in