My new garage! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Regardless of codes, you do not want the cold air returns in the garage to go back into the house. This makes use of the heat ducts problematic. You would have to let the warm air into the garage and go out an exterior vent. That's great for ventilation, but you then need to take in more makeup air on the house side. That's grat for ventilation, too, but you are paying more for heat.

How about a heat exchanger? You have one side of the heat exchanger connected into the house system and the other side into the garage system. No air exchange at all between house and garage.

Or forget the whole thing and use an Empire through-the-wall to heat the garage. No air exchange there, either. I use one on my detached shop, and I would do the same on an attached shop.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM
...call me a space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
I'm actually gonna frame the ones I use. Probably just the thin black frames you can buy in bulk. It will look much better than being pinned up.
Agreed...it's gonna look nice dude.

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
Congrats on the new house Drew! That garage would make a nice home for your new Chrome Orange Exige!
I wish it would be an Evora!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Regardless of codes, you do not want the cold air returns in the garage to go back into the house. This makes use of the heat ducts problematic. You would have to let the warm air into the garage and go out an exterior vent. That's great for ventilation, but you then need to take in more makeup air on the house side. That's grat for ventilation, too, but you are paying more for heat.

How about a heat exchanger? You have one side of the heat exchanger connected into the house system and the other side into the garage system. No air exchange at all between house and garage.

Or forget the whole thing and use an Empire through-the-wall to heat the garage. No air exchange there, either. I use one on my detached shop, and I would do the same on an attached shop.
For now I guess I'm just going to leave it disconnected. I got in the attic the other day to fix the cable and all they did was squeeze the ducting close and hold it closed with a zip tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorparkian View Post
Agreed...it's gonna look nice dude.
Can't wait to paint and get 'em up!

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Paint shall begin this weekend! So then I can get to decorating with posters and banners and such.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM
KCZ

Garage
Speaking of banners, look what I found.
Fenney's Flags, Banners & Signs - Search Results for "lotus"

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:37 PM

I own an HVAC company and as stated it is illegal as well as dangerous for you and your family to run any ducts into the garage. You NEED a separate system for your garage, look at a ductless mini split which is what I will use for my garage.

Just read the rest of the posts, all they did was zip tie the vents shut? Wow! You have a bad home inspector, if any of my crew found that we would red tag(shut down the furnace) immediately because it would be a liability for my company since we found a potentially fatal issue and did nothing about it.

Maybe I am just paranoid, but when a competitor was surd for millions over something like his after killing a family and when my fathers friend had a son that had carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty HVAC install that my company found you will know why I am so against these ideas that others are saying. You add air to the garage now your garage has a positive pressure and the house a negative, some air from the house will make it back in.

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle

Last edited by Korntera; 02-22-2014 at 06:43 PM.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Its ok, its not hooked up and will stay that way. I'm going to start with insulating the garage door to help with temperatures.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Check into mini-split systems for heat and AC. A lot more affordable and pretty easy to install. They do a great job of heating up large open spaces.

Too Many Toys, Too Little Time

'07 Apline White Exige S
'04 Krypton Green Elise track car
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Got the paint done. Now to the banners and posters.

Used a laser level to keep the lines straight.

The floor was stained the dark red before we moved in because the garage used to be the office. I will eventually be getting it redone. The floor doesn't really match the walls yet! You can also see my garage sink I added since the garage was already plummed for a sink.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Paint looks great. I am starting on new one (house in escrow now) and looking for inspiration.

Where did you get the laser light thing? I was thinking of just doing blue tape for the middle separation line... is that a bad idea?

Also I have doors (2) similar to yours. Debating should the doors be painted full (my bottom color will be red, top color white) red, left full white, or done exactly how the garage is....

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post

Where did you get the laser light thing? I was thinking of just doing blue tape for the middle separation line... is that a bad idea?
I actually borrowed the laser level from my dad. It's just a craftsman laser level.

I don't think blue tape for the middle line would end up working out in the long run. It will probably end up peeling and won't look as good as paint anyway. The orange line barely took much paint.

I am getting close to having the walls done, I will post pics soon.
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
I actually borrowed the laser level from my dad. It's just a craftsman laser level.

I don't think blue tape for the middle line would end up working out in the long run. It will probably end up peeling and won't look as good as paint anyway. The orange line barely took much paint.

I am getting close to having the walls done, I will post pics soon.
Oh I meant, since I don't have a fancy laser thing, if I can use blue painter tape to mask a line, and whether line would be straight. Then I can paint that line to separate the top and bottom color.

2007 Chili Red Elise
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post
Oh I meant, since I don't have a fancy laser thing, if I can use blue painter tape to mask a line, and whether line would be straight. Then I can paint that line to separate the top and bottom color.
Oh, I'm an idiot.

That is actually how I started doing it, I found out my dad had a laser level and ended up finishing it with that. I just used it to make sure the line was straight. All I did was measure from the bottom of the drywall up a certain length and marked it every 12 inches and just used that as a guide for the tape.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM

^^^^

Gracias. Sorry my question was probably poorly worded

2007 Chili Red Elise
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
I've added some stuff to the garage. Still have to add a couple of posters in the blank spots, and add some more lighting in the 3rd car space.

I need to buy a shed to put out back so I can get the yard equipment out of the garage.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 12:25 PM
not your dad's puns

Looking good, D! Have to admit, kinda jelly...

because racecar
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 AM

doge - Is that a stain on your floor? Looks good!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copple View Post
doge - Is that a stain on your floor? Looks good!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Our house used to be the "show home" for our neighborhood, so the 2 car portion of our garage used to be the office. So the floor was stained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in