We are now making a lot more progress...
The walls/roof are up, and the electrical has been run for the lighting (more about that later). Today we are erecting the door frame, putting up the columns and the cam plates (see photos).
This door is awesome. It weighs about 8500 lbs. in operating mode and will lift a car clean off the ground. That, of course, requires some stout support. We got one of the cam plates in today, and the other one goes in tomorrow. The guys doing the work are top-notch. When bolting the cam plates on, they dutifully applied Loctite Blue to the bolts. And the welder is one of the best I've ever seen.
There is an additional photo for you tool guys. I include it simply because I have never seen this contraption. But it is essentially an electronic manometer, used to level things to a hundredth of an inch. The tube is filled with glycol, and gives a differential reading, plus or minus. The builders of the door use it to level about 12 welding tables to one another, on which this massive door (photos to follow) is constructed, to a trueness of 3/16" over a 58-foot span. The cost of the tool is only about 700 USD, but it must be recalibrated every 2 years, which costs about 350 USD. I don't need it, but I really am looking for an excuse to get it! I'm thinking of using it to level the pads for cross weighting cars. Now if I could only think of more uses for it....
Anyway, the door will be on in another week, whereupon they start installing the mezzanine, which will come out 20 feet from the rear wall and run 60 feet across the back/rear of the hangar.
Still have not decided on the flooring. Taking a cue from one of your comments, I visited an equestrian center, where they had these 3/4-inch rubber-like pads they put in the horse stalls, I guess for the comfort of the horses. Anyway, sparks and welding slag won't go through this stuff, and I'm thinking of using that on the floor where cutting, grinding, and welding will take place. That leaves the option of doing a nice concrete stain or epoxy.
Still looking for a restoration candidate that won't be a financial black hole. My first choice is an E-Type, although a '67 Elan would be very nice as well, and much, much simpler.
As far as the lighting, I have doubled the number of fixtures on two circuits (don't want to be suddenly in the dark while at the grinder, for example, if I trip a breaker). These are 5000K LEDs, 7 tubes/fixture. I've also discovered an LED fixture that's about 7 feet long. Trying to find them now and, if successful, will post photos. These will go under the mezzanine.
So, things are progressing...
Columns being erected, anchored into the concrete and welded at the top.
Opposite side column, using the TEREX (an amazing machine)
The cam plate, where the door will be articulated up/down. There is one on each side of the door.
This is the tool I referred to earlier.