New toolbox, opinons should I do it? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

New toolbox, opinons should I do it?

I got an email that Sears is having a tool sale and have been thinking about getting a new tool chest. I went to there web store and low an behold I discovered the Sunburst Orange Metalic tool chest. Here's a pic of the set I'm thinking about. 26" 4 drawers on the lower, 6 drawers on top. I'll have to add the Lotus logo. I have a serious weakness for orange but my only hesitation is that they're aren't more shallow drawers on the lower portion. I hate digging through deep drawers looking for stuff. $368 for the set and 26" is about all I can fit in my wee garage and sadly no fridge or boom box built in. Thoughts before I pull the trigger?
Attached Images

2005 Elise, CO, LSS, Hard Top
2015 Fiesta ST, Race Red
1986 BMW E30 325E - 24 Hours of LeMons race turd

The B-Team, 24 Hours of LeMons Race Team

Last edited by pixlpush; 01-23-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Get the Snap-On Lotus Edition. It is only $14,000 and you can put the car in the bottom drawer.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Go on Craigslist and check out all of the Snap On, Mac, and Matco toolboxes that are in great condition and similar prices to new Craftsman stuff.

I use Craftsman tools, but their boxes are flimsy...

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Can you add a center section? Might not be matching orange though....but center sections usually have shallow drawers.

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Audi R8
I am no longer the admin. If you need help, please contact a moderator or send a PM to 'Administrator'.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM

I finally broke down and bought a rollaway from Costco. Stainless steel, cheaper than the Craftsman.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM

they are always having a sale.
join the craftman club for some good discounts, its free.
also i have been looking at boxes there as well. i wouldnt touch any of thier boxes other than the ball bearing ones, the rest are cheaply built and flimsy as said earlier.

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 PM

yeah, deep drawers suck! don't do it, you'll end up sacrificing usability for orange. no good.

Get a used snapon or Mac, or even a high end craftman and paint it orange. Or, do what I did and get the Harbor freight one. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

goes on sale for $400 all the time. no need for a top chest, and I get more worksurface.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM

I have the same chest in grey. It works well for me. It is certainly not tool snob approved, but functions fine and is sturdy enough for a home garage....

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM

I was eyeing this one. I have out growm my Craftsman. Not sure about the quality, still researching it.

07 CO Elise, ReVerie CF Side Scoops, ReVerie 3-Element CF Diffuser, ReVerie center console, ReVerie front splitter, 111 Tow Hook, 111 Boomerang Tow Hook, 111 Bootie, Redline Boot, BWR Key, V1, Larini Exhaust, Green filter, LidBone, MicroMirror, R888, CF Sills, Stud Conversion, Exige seats, Schroth Belts, Sector 111 V-Brace....
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Probably fine for home use. Just don't load the drawers up with like 80lbs in them. Yeah the ball bearings are def. better but if all your tools fit in that box, I'm betting it's fine for what you are using it for. Also you may be able to add one of those boxes that hangs on the side later on, or get a workbench with a few drawers or a roll around cart with drawer too for your other stuff.

Plus it's ORANGE! (which I'm sure you noticed)

Oh- and adding the logo.... no problem
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 PM

You can save one shallow drawer by using an intermediate (top drawer, bottom box) for plier type tools utilizing a nifty rack that stands the pliers on edge. Very efficient for those of us with too many of these tools.
The Pliers Rack
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azac View Post
You can save one shallow drawer by using an intermediate (top drawer, bottom box) for plier type tools utilizing a nifty rack that stands the pliers on edge. Very efficient for those of us with too many of these tools.
The Pliers Rack
Whoa! I need that. And something to organize my mess of a screwdriver drawer too!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 AM

The biggest disadvantage to that particular box is the depth of the top drawers. Note that the front edge of the top chest sits in quite a bit from the front edge of the bottom cabinet. They make top chests that sit essentially flush with the front of the bottom, adding a couple of inches to the storage space in each of the top drawers - important when storing long things like screw drivers and pry bars, and just plain handy for the space.

As for the tool boxes with and without ball bearings - the reality is that it doesn't make that much difference. I have two Craftsman roll around tool boxes - an older one with the short top drawers (and a center add-on stack) and a newer ball bearing box. Yes, the ball bearing drawers are nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay extra for it. I did pay extra for the deeper length drawers. I keep most of my tools in the new box, and still have plenty of less used tools in the old box.

The biggest thing to look for is lots of deep (not to be confused with height) drawers. The more drawers, the more you can organize your tools. Remember, you want lots of square inches of storage space, not cubic inches of storage space. Square inches let you spread things out, cubic inches means you have to stack things in the drawers.

Pay extra for more tool box than you need, you will need more later (that's why I have two boxes). The center add-on boxes take up extra space that could be another drawer, and actually make the whole thing too tall - it's harder to use the top for anything more than just a place to toss things "for later".

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Also look at the amount of weight that it is capable of handling. If you plan on jamming it to the limit this will matter, you dont want the wheels/frame to break.

The width of the drawers matters as well if you plan on putting things like pry bars in them or you could put a rack on the side of the box to hang them
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments everyone, all helpful thoughts

I've been out of town for a few days and managed to resist the impulse buy on the orange craftsman box. I'm going to take all your comments into consideration before pulling the trigger on anything.

2005 Elise, CO, LSS, Hard Top
2015 Fiesta ST, Race Red
1986 BMW E30 325E - 24 Hours of LeMons race turd

The B-Team, 24 Hours of LeMons Race Team
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM

i like having a few "tall" drawers, i keep cordless drills, small electronics tool box, kits, etc... down there. just depends if you have LOTS of flat tools, or al ittle bit of everything. get something bigger/mor ethan oyu think you need. line the drawers, i like a mix of a few small drawers, lotrs of flat drawers and some deep drawers. ball bearing are nice, its worth a little extra, not a lot extra.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Get the Snap-On Lotus Edition. It is only $14,000 and you can put the car in the bottom drawer.
Where is a link to this? I couldn't find one online. I only saw the limited edition GT-R toolbox that they have.

Daily driven '05 Elise, Katana SC, CharlieX tuning, Seibon CF front clam with custom paint, Stage II exhaust, hardtop, Starshield, Pioneer ICE, dry CF door sills & panels, dry CF binnacle, color matched center console and surround, Sachs suspension, Moroso oil pan, EBC greenstuff brakes, Team Dynamic wheels w/ R888's
PhlypSide quote - Tell people you prefer your cars to be like your women: "lightweight, fast, low maintenance, and easy on the eyes."
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
Where is a link to this? I couldn't find one online. I only saw the limited edition GT-R toolbox that they have.
The GT-R box is more because they have to have a drawer for a spare transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in