newbie -14 3/4" Jack height from harbor freight... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
newbie -14 3/4" Jack height from harbor freight...

i was wondering if this low profile jack's 14 3/4" max height was good enough to raise the Elise high enough to get jack stands installed for working under the car. I'm going to be using the jack helper to put jack stands under the lift kit cylinders (monkey wrenches/tesprit's kit) on the rear of the car for maintenence. Have not bought jack or jackstands yet. Was hoping for some experienced comments. Thanks.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,694
Garage
I just this last weekend picked up one of their top jacks, 3000 lb I think, that goes to over 19" vertical. This because of exactly what you mentioned. For the rear the smaller jack is no problem. For the front I was using Sector's flat topped stands and needed more height. If you have short stands then maybe the smaller one woulod work.

Thing for me is I do not want to have to max out a jack. Have already busted up the fiberglass on the right by not placing the jack far enough inboard a few years back.

The larger jack is so much easier to use. It's not at all stressed. And having one for each side was great this weekend after installing shocks and adjusting ride height.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
ok - lets review - you have 2 jacks?(I'll need to do the front also eventually) Do you have the link or model # of what you bought - (harbor freight?) I'm asking because one of the reviews on the 17 1/2 jack came back as as only 14" in real life, and the buyer was angry about the false advertising - i'll get back on their site and look around some more.. I'm ok with the sector 111 pin safety lock jack stands - they look sweet. Thanks again.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
I just this last weekend picked up one of their top jacks, 3000 lb I think, that goes to over 19" vertical. This because of exactly what you mentioned. For the rear the smaller jack is no problem. For the front I was using Sector's flat topped stands and needed more height. If you have short stands then maybe the smaller one woulod work.

Thing for me is I do not want to have to max out a jack. Have already busted up the fiberglass on the right by not placing the jack far enough inboard a few years back.

The larger jack is so much easier to use. It's not at all stressed. And having one for each side was great this weekend after installing shocks and adjusting ride height.
ok - i found it - $199 - did you buy 2? or am i misreading your post? thanks again.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
 
metrocube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by komiko View Post
i was wondering if this low profile jack's 14 3/4" max height was good enough to raise the Elise high enough to get jack stands installed for working under the car.
I take it you don't realize that this depends on the height of the jack stands?

I never like putting the car at extreme angles, so I lift the car 6" on one side then put boards under the wheel. Then lift the other side of the car the rest of the way to get a jackstand under it. Minimizes the chance the single jackstand will shoot out from under the car while you're trying to get the other side up to the same height.
metrocube is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
www.theapexinn.com
 
kestrel74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Watkins Glen, NY
Posts: 11,675
Their 79.00 one ( that you can get for less with a coupon or sale ) is fine. and yes, you can get a stand or ramps underneath.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocube View Post
I take it you don't realize that this depends on the height of the jack stands?

I never like putting the car at extreme angles, so I lift the car 6" on one side then put boards under the wheel. Then lift the other side of the car the rest of the way to get a jackstand under it. Minimizes the chance the single jackstand will shoot out from under the car while you're trying to get the other side up to the same height.
yup - i guess s111's stands are the ones i want as i need pin locks, not those ratchet things that have already dropped a car and crusheed one of our members. The S111's stands - those go fairly high. Your boards sound smart. This will be my first jack stand lift, so far i've only lifted a side with a jack to change from summer tires to storage tires. Don't want to get myself killed, don't want to get the car killed. Thanks.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Registered User
 
metrocube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by komiko View Post
yup - i guess s111's stands are the ones i want as i need pin locks,
Yeah, the S111 stands are VERY tall. I would strongly advise placing at least three 2"-thick boards under a wheel as a half-way step so that you don't get such an extreme angle on the flat top stands.

I go so far as to get the rear wheels on top of race ramps first to make sure the front to back angle isn't so extreme as well.
metrocube is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,694
Garage
The Sector stands are what I have, yes tall. I have two jacks from Harbor Freight, the smaller US General 1.5 ton and the Pittsburgh 3 ton.

I've had the smaller one for years, it's good for our little cars. When I went to use the (very nice) Sector stands, I went to HF the next day. Just plain scared of using a jack that is near vertical on the front B jack points.

Very glad to have a more robust jack as well.

Rhinoramps are very useful. That jack helper is a must, should come with the car.

Very good idea to raise the car gradually one side at a time.

While under there mark the C and D lift points perhaps with the arrows available on this board.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocube View Post
Yeah, the S111 stands are VERY tall. I would strongly advise placing at least three 2"-thick boards under a wheel as a half-way step so that you don't get such an extreme angle on the flat top stands.

I go so far as to get the rear wheels on top of race ramps first to make sure the front to back angle isn't so extreme as well.
So are the S111 stands what alot of folks go with? are they "too tall"?

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered User
 
addertooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,630
I use the Sector111 "flat jacks" which have the rubber pad on top (4 jack stands), to work on the car. I use the 1.5 ton harbor freight aluminum racing jack to lift the car onto the stands. I sometimes use a hockey puck (courtesy of BWR) on top of the aluminum racing jack lift point to get that extra inch to get the car on top of the sector111 flat jacks. With any lifting hydraulic jack, make sure it is rolling freely as you lift, so the lift point does not move reletive to the car's chassis. I refuse to pay dealer price for an oil change.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered User
 
Giantmcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Posts: 2,604
Garage
I own one of these jacks and absoluetly LOVE it. It skys high so I can actually jack my 4 runner up, but is still LOW pro to get under the lotus and my wife's passat. A great jack for the price. If you are ok with steel, if you want aluminum, then I would find another like it then.

Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
Giantmcm is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
I own one of these jacks and absoluetly LOVE it. It skys high so I can actually jack my 4 runner up, but is still LOW pro to get under the lotus and my wife's passat. A great jack for the price. If you are ok with steel, if you want aluminum, then I would find another like it then.

Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack
I looked at that today too! (when I was searching) I almost bought it on the spot, then saw "no rubber pad", but that cant be too hard to fix. How do you work with the unpadded top? Hockey puck or something else?

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
I use the Sector111 "flat jacks" which have the rubber pad on top (4 jack stands), to work on the car. I use the 1.5 ton harbor freight aluminum racing jack to lift the car onto the stands. I sometimes use a hockey puck (courtesy of BWR) on top of the aluminum racing jack lift point to get that extra inch to get the car on top of the sector111 flat jacks. With any lifting hydraulic jack, make sure it is rolling freely as you lift, so the lift point does not move reletive to the car's chassis. I refuse to pay dealer price for an oil change.
I'm with you on that one. $250 in NYC.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Registered User
 
hroundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Concord NH
Posts: 319
Hockey puck works.

BTW there is a Harbor Freight in Amherst on 101a on left coming from Nashua. It quite a ways from Nashua, I almost gave up thinking I missed it.

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
hroundy is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
Giantmcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Posts: 2,604
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by komiko View Post
I looked at that today too! (when I was searching) I almost bought it on the spot, then saw "no rubber pad", but that cant be too hard to fix. How do you work with the unpadded top? Hockey puck or something else?
It really is a great jack, completely endorse this jack in terms of ability and convience of use. I just put a soft pad on the jack head and called it good. Works great, no slippage, and awesome height/smoothness of factor. Also love the handle design and the turn knob to lower the jack with. VERY nice stuff.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
Giantmcm is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Mulholland>SCC
 
agirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 2,532
I was going to point out that the lift kit is NOT for jack stands, but I suppose it would be fine with a flat top jack stand.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
It really is a great jack, completely endorse this jack in terms of ability and convience of use. I just put a soft pad on the jack head and called it good. Works great, no slippage, and awesome height/smoothness of factor. Also love the handle design and the turn knob to lower the jack with. VERY nice stuff.
ya - that's the one i'm buying but could you elaborate on your soft pad? (If it was a diaper out of the hamper, please disregard this request)

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
I was going to point out that the lift kit is NOT for jack stands, but I suppose it would be fine with a flat top jack stand.
I hear ya - there are others doing this no problem - they are using the jack helper to get the back up, and installing the jack stands directly under the lift cylinders. Voila! ONE STEP!!!!! (I think this is when you are ONLY lifting the rear..ie oil changes) But you are correct - the lift kit is for.....lifting.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/

Last edited by komiko; 02-29-2012 at 12:09 PM.
komiko is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Mulholland>SCC
 
agirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 2,532
That's not quite what I meant. I wasn't being a smartass. There are stickers on it saying not for jack stands and since most, if not all but one brand of jack stand are curved, it would not be safe which is why I said I suppose it would be fine with flat top stands as it would be safer.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome