Next "upgrade" to the garage? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Next "upgrade" to the garage?

Here's my current garage as-is:

I know, the car's parked crooked. I was working on the passenger side and needed the space.

After thinking about what to get for my upcoming birthday, I realized there wasn't much else I wanted for the car, so I thought it would be best to use this opportunity to make the garage better.

With a budget of ~$1500, what are some good options to add to the garage? I need something that I can take with me, as we will probably be moving in the next 12 months. That leaves out painting the floor / installing wooden cabinets / sink.

I would also like to keep as much of the existing furniture as I can. All thoughts much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
ksm

Difficult to see all that's there; but perhaps 5-tier metal shelving in that far, right corner.

'05. Eyes up.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'll clean it out tomorrow and take a better pic. I'm thinking either race deck tiles or proper closets / shelving / furniture. Just need to find a good deal!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Rather than paint the floor (which you can't take with you) - I would suggest getting one of those roll out rubber floor mats. There are some that are big enough for a standard two car garage that are extra durable and thick enough that it wont bunch up or shift on the floor. When you move, you can take it with you!

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
Rather than paint the floor (which you can't take with you) - I would suggest getting one of those roll out rubber floor mats. There are some that are big enough for a standard two car garage that are extra durable and thick enough that it wont bunch up or shift on the floor. When you move, you can take it with you!
Any particular brand recommended? I'm thinking about doing the one from: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218...-budget-83242/

$504 for two rolls...pretty good, but I wonder if it gets ruined from jacking the car up. Do you have this? Any issues with our weather here in the MO-IL area?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM

I used to have one and sold it - wished I hadn't because I can't find a new one at a comparible price.

There are thicker versions that have coin-top or diamond tread - they are a little more expensive but stay put. Rather than buying two, it sometimes works out to be cheaper per square foot to get the big one that meets your needs.

No no problems here in the mid west - in fact, it helps keep the garage cleaner because it can be easily swept or hosed off. In the winter, salt and snow don't mark the floor. They are super durable and you can absolutely lift a car on them without damaging the mat.

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

any brand recommendation? I found this: http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/664558
$392 for two rolls (multi-roll discount) of 7.5' wide x 17' long x 55 ml. That should be enough to cover both sides. Is it worthwhile to get the extra length to cover the workstation to reduce fatigue?
btw: where in MO are you? Used to drive back and forth along I-44 / I-55 to Kansas. LOVE your car!

Last edited by cheungms; 09-10-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 AM
ksm

I've seen roll-out mats at Costco. Not sure what brand, though. But you get Costco's return policy with it.

'05. Eyes up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

So after looking at the various garage threads, then shopping around Lowes / Menards / Home Depot, I found some good cabinets from Home Depot that was being clearanced out. Decided I couldn't pass them up and after 8 hours cleaning everything out / re-organizing / building the cabinets, tada!

Thanks ksm for the good idea on moving the tiered shelving to the right; made some useful shelving out of an "unused" corner.
Still on the lookout for a good floor solution. Need to see the rolled mats in person before I make the decision.

BTW: it's surprisingly difficult to take pictures of your garage...especially at night
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 PM

"$392 for two rolls (multi-roll discount) of 7.5' wide x 17' long x 55 ml. That should be enough to cover both sides."

I have what I consider a standard 2 car garage. It is 20'x24'. It is similar to what is pictured. Please measure before buying half of what you need, and also consider seams in odd places.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
"$392 for two rolls (multi-roll discount) of 7.5' wide x 17' long x 55 ml. That should be enough to cover both sides."

I have what I consider a standard 2 car garage. It is 20'x24'. It is similar to what is pictured. Please measure before buying half of what you need, and also consider seams in odd places.
I'm not factoring in the entire garage - is this a mistake? I was just thinking covering the floorspace where I walk / park the car. IMO no need in laying down the material to waste underneath workbenches / etc? Thoughts appreciated!

Last edited by cheungms; 09-12-2010 at 07:21 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Does not this trap moisture under the "plastic" floor?

Need a new Lotus this winter
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 PM

"I'm not factoring in the entire garage - is this a mistake? I was just thinking covering the floorspace where I walk / park the car. IMO no need in laying down the material to waste underneath workbenches / etc? Thoughts appreciated!"

I'd think it's an all or nothing proposition. Just my opinion. I wouldn't carpet just the traffic areas in my house. Exposed concrete around the beautiful mat will detract from the effect IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in