*Pics* New garage construction - feedback wanted! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

*Pics* New garage construction - feedback wanted!

So we just signed a contract to build a new home and I included as much garage space as I possibly could.

We have 882 square feet to work with. The garage layout is a split design with the main three car garage offset from a one car. My soon to be wife (yikes, getting married 2 weeks from today!) has graciously volunteered to take the one car for her SUV, Christmas decorations, and anything else that is not car related.

That leaves me with the 3 car setup for myself. I've started a CAD layout in Google Sketchup and it includes the following:

- My truck (daily driver)
- Exige
- Ducati
- Golf cart (going to be on a golf course... see picture below)
- Bicycles x2
- 4-post lift
- Air compressor
- Tool box x2
- Wall mount A/C unit
- Rolling stool
- Plenty of lighting
- Plenty of outlets (figuring out where to place those now)

^ My backyard. Do you think they make r-compound tires for golf carts?

Ok, so what you see above can be fully re-arranged, stuff added, stuff deleted, etc.

Let's hear your ideas!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Absolute power does what?

Well what are your goals? Place to store your toys, place to work on them or place to show them off? What sort of floor are you planning? For me that was the most important piece as I did the high end epoxy/flake floor and absolutely love it. Are you going to do cabinets or just shelves? What's your total budget like?

Sure wish I had that much room to work with, mine is just under 400 sq/ft so no lift for me...

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Less is Better

A garage can never be deep enough. Absolutely do not let them put posts between stalls. The more doors to sides of the garage, the easier it is to get things in and out without risking damage to parked cars.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Well what are your goals? Place to store your toys, place to work on them or place to show them off? What sort of floor are you planning? For me that was the most important piece as I did the high end epoxy/flake floor and absolutely love it. Are you going to do cabinets or just shelves? What's your total budget like?

Sure wish I had that much room to work with, mine is just under 400 sq/ft so no lift for me...
Storage and working on mostly. I will have people over but I'm not really planning on using it as a show area. I will be doing an epoxy floor similar to yours. Total budget is around $10k, but that includes the A/C, lift, etc. The lift can actually increase floor space if you use it to lift a car out of the way. I raised the ceiling as much as I could and added the 98" door openings to give as much room as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
A garage can never be deep enough. Absolutely do not let them put posts between stalls. The more doors to sides of the garage, the easier it is to get things in and out without risking damage to parked cars.
Very good point about the posts. I hadn't even asked about that... it wasn't in the floor plan but you never know. For some reason a side door addition was $1000! I opted out because that side of the house is already on the very edge of the property.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Less is Better

Also, you will never regret having a utility sink.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Storage and working on mostly. I will have people over but I'm not really planning on using it as a show area. I will be doing an epoxy floor similar to yours. Total budget is around $10k, but that includes the A/C, lift, etc. The lift can actually increase floor space if you use it to lift a car out of the way. I raised the ceiling as much as I could and added the 98" door openings to give as much room as possible.

Very good point about the posts. I hadn't even asked about that... it wasn't in the floor plan but you never know. For some reason a side door addition was $1000! I opted out because that side of the house is already on the very edge of the property.
That better be an impressive steel security door for $1k.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM

If you can spare the room and the cost a bathroom with shower. Set tub for parts cleaning, washer & dryer for shop rags and the "your not putting that in my washer" cloths. If you intend to do much restoration an old oven lets you dry paint quickly or heat up parts. A place for dirty work (bead blasting, grinding...). A floor drain could help with serious detailing. Can the compressor be put in the attic to free up space?

Eek, spill over from holiday junk (larger than life plastic Christmas angles, witches...). Your life is over. Put in a basement to hold the junk. I would skimp on the outfitting of the garage to gain a basement in an attempt to keep the garage mine.

Good luck.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Quote:
That better be an impressive steel security door for $1k.
Yeah it was just a normal door. I told them thanks, but no thanks. I'm going to visit every day when the framing is going up and slip the workers a few cases of beer to see if they'll do some custom add-ins for me. I can knock the drywall out later and add the door myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
If you can spare the room and the cost a bathroom with shower. Set tub for parts cleaning, washer & dryer for shop rags and the "your not putting that in my washer" cloths. If you intend to do much restoration an old oven lets you dry paint quickly or heat up parts. A place for dirty work (bead blasting, grinding...). A floor drain could help with serious detailing. Can the compressor be put in the attic to free up space?

Eek, spill over from holiday junk (larger than life plastic Christmas angles, witches...). Your life is over. Put in a basement to hold the junk. I would skimp on the outfitting of the garage to gain a basement in an attempt to keep the garage mine.

Good luck.
Putting the compressor outside the garage isn't a bad idea. I can plumb a line through the wall. It'll make it quieter when it's running as well.

RE Holiday junk: That's why she has her own garage. The pictures shown above are my garage only. We have a split garage setup where she can fill hers up with as much stuff as she wants/can fit
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
What is the height of your celling? I have 9 1/2'. It works ok for my Elise and Evora, as well as my Jag. My garage was already built when we bought the house. I wish I had 10 1/2' ceilings, that way I could stand up under the cars. As it is now, I have to bend over or use my rolling shop chair to work on my cars. Also lots of lighting and A/C plugs. I wish I could build my own garage, you are lucky.
Ron
Attached Images

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Back to the Future, again

I like it, but I would not put the door behind the truck. Switch placements with the golf cart/Ducati. Just my thought. I have my Harley and racebike on the door side and my Noble on the other side. Gives me more room to maneuver around, especially when I am carrying stuff.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 AM

I recommend insulated overhead doors. Also, when you get to the drywall/finish stage, insulate the walls. These are fairly inexpensive upgrades that will help keep the space more comfortable.

Make sure all your 120v receptacles are on 20A circuits instead of the standard 15A. If you ever plan to use a welder or standing fabrication equipment, add a 240v 30A circuit. Your lift may even run on 240v.

If you can, make your third stall as deep as as the other two. It will probably make the exterior less esthetically pleasing but will make the space more functional.

As it is rendered now, it looks like you don't have much clearance around the lift. If you plan to work on vehicles on the lift, consider placement in the middle space.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.

Last edited by jasondew; 10-07-2012 at 03:56 AM.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
ky13

Quote:
Quote:
Also, you will never regret having a utility sink.
Great advice. OP, looks like a nice setup!

05 Elise -- sunny day toy

04 TSX -- daily driver
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Back to the Future, again

I never liked how the generic design for a 3 car garage is the one off to the side with its own door with a pillar separating the doors, but then again, it's totally understandable that you want to be able to open just the one for the side that you use more often without opening everything, but I think the guy from Fox Valley has a 3 car that has just a big opening door that shows everything inside all at once and it's big enough to fit a Dodge Ram so yeah, you never have enough depth or size in a garage.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM

Drop the power from the ceiling for the pump on the hoist or wire in a floor outlet. A two post lift has advantages of access to more of the underside of the car and allows removal of the wheels/suspension. Four posters are easier to use to drive on/off and more suitable at home. I have both and prefer the two post for actually working on the car.

196? Seven - long gone
2005 Storm Titanium Elise - sold
2008 blue 2-Eleven - track toy
2011 Carbon Grey Evora S
1959 Ford Anglia project
2008 white 2-Eleven - track toy too/two
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 AM

You can't have enough space and storage. Unless you plan on putting another car in there. I'd say dont get the 4 post lift. Get a 2 post so you can put cabinets in front of the lotus. Maybe a MaxJack if you're not going to do really heavy work.

Hmm...
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

I've been forgetting to update here!

^ Breaking ground

^ Getting ready to lay the slab down

^ Framing going up... you can see my wife's own garage on the left

^ More framing. We decided to get a 1-story house this time.

^ VTEC kicked in y0! Framing was done really fast. The crew is amazing.

^ Garage floor

^ I'm going to be placing my in-garage HVAC unit here.

I made a few changes to the lighting. We are doing 8x florescent bulbs (4') and recessed can lighting. The electrician is a little hesitant about the can lighting due to something about spacing with duct work so we'll see what happens there.

I also added 12x 110VAC outlets to the garage and 2x 220VAC outlets. Those 220 outlets are damn expensive

Last edited by Bane; 11-18-2012 at 07:51 AM.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 AM

what is your defintion HVAC unit? cuzz your 10 grand budget could get blown in a hurry on just that and the lift.

2006 Autumn Gold SOLD
2005 Bourdeaux elise SOLD
2005 Storm Titanium Totaled by a doge 1 ton
1994 ferrari 348 spider nero/nero SOLD...2008 toyota yaris hatch SOLD...71 volkswagen type 2 with 79 hydraulic type IV 2.0/dual 40 idf webers! SOLD 72 europa tcBV sold, 2008 cayman SOLD, MV Agusta brutale S SOLD

oh yeah...I apologize in advance to the weak...
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyskt View Post
what is your defintion HVAC unit? cuzz your 10 grand budget could get blown in a hurry on just that and the lift.
Just a through the wall unit from Home Depot or Lowes. It's ~$500 which is much less than I was expecting.

House is done now. I get the keys in 30 minutes! I'll post some more pictures later
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM

...? anticipation...

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

^ I used a laser scanner to validate my CAD model

^Alternate layout

^Sure is nice to actually be able to fit my truck inside now

... now comes the fun part. I'll update as I make progress on stuff actually going into the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in