*Pics* New garage construction - feedback wanted! - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
Very nice , A/C in the garage that is cool. I wish I had it in my garage, my power bills would go through the roof. They are already over $900 every two months in the summer without it.
Ron
Damn, what do you do? Set the thermostat to 55F and run it 24/7?

I live in the SGV and my bill is not even close to 1/3 that and I run the A/C pretty constantly... just not all day and night... and it's not that much worse than SFV as far as higher temps, is it? I mean, I know it gets hot up in the SFV, and I have worked there so I know... but not that much.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
Very nice , A/C in the garage that is cool. I wish I had it in my garage, my power bills would go through the roof. They are already over $900 every two months in the summer without it.
Ron

My electric bill last month was $48 here in the Arizona desert. My community is all electric also... so my water heater, range, and heater are all powered by electricity. It's 112 F today so the A/C is definately running. How many square feet is your house? Mine is ~2300 with 4 bedrooms. It helps that it was built in 2013 so it's fairly efficient.
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Garage
We have a 2200 sq' two story house built in 1999, we have dual pane windows. We also have a big back yard, with my wifes garden. We keep the house @ 76-78 degrees. This is a water + power bill (LA DWP).
Ron

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Keep forgetting to update here...

Things didn't work out as I planned for the CAD model. My wife didn't like parking in the detached bay as it was hard to unload groceries the way her Rav4 door opens So I put the Exige in the single bay by itself and added this piece of decor to the main garage:

post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 AM

Garage
Nice,good old American grunt. Stick I hope?
Ron

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

More updates...

^ Moved the compressor to the corner.

^ Air source at my workbench. Already used it twice today

^ Drop down air line in the center of the main garage

^ Zombie survival rig ready for quick deployment (or camping setup... whichever you prefer)

^ "Monkey Bars" 3D shelving system. This setup is AWESOME for consolidating stuff in the garage. I have these racks in 3 out of the 4 bays.

^ More racks for putting stuff on the wall. I'm trying to keep as much workable space in the garage as I can.

Still kicking around the idea of a 4-post lift
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 PM

Garage
Nice, a place for every thing, and every thing in it. Just the way I like my garage. Keep up the good work.
Ron

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM

It's a little hard to tell if there's room next to your water heater for the air compressor, but I have by 60 gal compressor bolted next to mine. I then plumbed the air lines into the attic space above and made the air hose real so that the hose protrudes through the ceiling wall board. My garage doesn't have HVAC, so the small hole wasn't an issue.

The other thing I've seen done is to wall mount a horizontal tank compressor.

What kind of line is your hard line from the tank?
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:14 PM

Bane,
Nice man cave. Will the compressor your using run air tools requiring constant 90 PSI to run as long as you want?
I may be in the market next spring for a compressor to run my air tools like impact guns, whizz wheels, cut off die grinders, air ratchets, etc. Trying to find that happy 'Medium' where it will run these tools, not break the bank or stay constantly running.

Robert
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM

not bad i like.. good work.. surprised no one mentioned using the little bit of golf course road to tweek lotus suspension lol..

i've been to AZ in the summer for a month.. damn hot.. if i was building from scratch out there (on the top 5 list of places to move next year), i'd probably build a geodesic dome with off grid power, water storage etc.. yea i'm one of those types lol.. have fun with that garage man.. having the stuff to work on your own cars is always a big plus..

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

my car.. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...ny-pics-62883/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...on-some-70889/
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type82 View Post
Bane,
Nice man cave. Will the compressor your using run air tools requiring constant 90 PSI to run as long as you want?
I may be in the market next spring for a compressor to run my air tools like impact guns, whizz wheels, cut off die grinders, air ratchets, etc. Trying to find that happy 'Medium' where it will run these tools, not break the bank or stay constantly running.

Robert
Yes, the compressor keeps up just fine for my needs. If you're painting or doing constant grinding/wire wheeling you may need a larger reservoir.

Here's the air line kit I used:

RapidAir 1/2in. Master Kit, Model# 90500 | Air Compressor Piping Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks everyone else for the compliments!

AZ is hot for the few months during the summer but right now it's 78 and sunny and will be until next April lol
post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 AM

I was wondering....is there a reason that they didnt just pour the concrte into the garage withoit making those break lines? It would seem that you won't have to fill in the cracks afterwords. I also HATE when myjack gets stuck on those racks as well. I just spent 10k on my backyard and redid the entire concrete floor. Unfortunately I forgot to tell them that I wanted it all smooth with no breaks. But I figured there must be a reason that it is done.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

They are expansion joints. You can get wicked cracks without them. Also, if one portion does cracks it'll stop at the joint and be less costly to repair.

You have to fill them with a special material in order to allow the concrete to still expand and contract (is what my floor guy told me).
post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Another way to do the concrete is to pour it w/o the joints and then saw-cut joints into the floor using a masonry blade. If the concrete is 4 inches thick, the joints should reach down 2.5". So you'll end up with joints, but they won't hinder sliding things over the floor's surface.
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM

wow, im jealous of your garage! Moar pics!

Lotus Evora (Solar Yellow)
Lotus Exige (Aspen White)
Honda S2000 (Silverstone)
Mazda Miata NA (Classic Red)
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Continuing to add to my custom tooling for fun projects

First complete build!

post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Woo hoo! Lift is in!

... no thanks to the a-hole tow truck driver that literally just dumped it in my driveway (chipping it). My neighbor helped me get it into the garage and I couldn't be happier
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Aren't you going to bolt it down ?

196? Seven - long gone
2005 Storm Titanium Elise - sold
2008 blue 2-Eleven - track toy
2011 Carbon Grey Evora S
1959 Ford Anglia project
2008 white 2-Eleven - track toy too/two
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Puff Daddy

Nope, there is no need to bolt down most modern 4-post lifts (this model included). My friend has this same lift at house for a few years now and it's been fine. We've put lots of expensive cars on it (5-6 Ferraris, Gallardo, R8, 997 GT2, my little Lotus, etc) and no one has ever felt uncomfortable or unsafe.

I didn't trust that at first so I Google'd "4 post lift bolt down" and found lots of shop owners saying they've never had theirs bolted down and it gets used 10+ times a day.
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM

Looks great. What brand of lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in