question for those with a lift - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

question for those with a lift

Hi all - new hear. I've been a lurker for a long time - and recently joined. I currently own a near mint S2000. While I do love the S2000, I've been toying with the idea of moving to an Elise... I really like the raw simplicity of the Elise.

Anyway - odd first post here- but you all seem like great people so I thought I'd ask here.

I bought a 4 post lift from Greg Smith Equip about a year ago (not sure what I did w/o it).

My question is relates to its operation. After the lift has been resting on its locks for a day or more (usually while raised holding the S2000), when I go to raise it off the locks to lower it, the pump needs to run for a good 15-20 seconds before it pushes enough fluid into the cylinder to begin moving the piston and ramps. Is this normal? Seems like there would be a check valve somewhere that would stop all the fluid from escaping the cylinder.

This depressurization does seem to take a a while because if I use it in to go up and down within a short period of time - its pretty much starts moving the ramps immediately.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Are the cables just slack and the 10-15 seconds is take in the slack before it begins to raise off the safety locks?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhastings View Post
Are the cables just slack and the 10-15 seconds is take in the slack before it begins to raise off the safety locks?
Its only at the very end of the 15-20 second period that they begin to tighten up- and once they start to tighten, the lift almost immediately begins to rise off the locks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Garage
Are you low on hydraulic fluid?
Ron

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:37 PM
B-T

That is not normal in my experience. I had a Titan SUV from AClifts.com , and it would raise up after about 2 seconds running the pump just to pull the slack out of the cables. Sounds like a leaky internal thing in the hydraulics to me.

BT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UabLotus View Post
After the lift has been resting on its locks for a day or more (usually while raised holding the S2000), when I go to raise it off the locks to lower it, the pump needs to run for a good 15-20 seconds before it pushes enough fluid into the cylinder to begin moving the piston and ramps.
I have had my 4 post Atlas lift from Greg Smith for a little more than a year. I just tested a few minutes ago... it starts to move after 4 seconds.

Tony
Indianapolis
'10 Evora | '66 S2 Super Seven 1500 Cosworth | '99 Birkin (sold)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Hydraulic creep perhaps? Practically all rams do it some. Maybe yours does it a lot.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 AM

I'd try to make sure there's no air in it. Run it all the way up and down a couple of times without a car on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in