Racedeck - Experiences/Prices/Sq Footage - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Racedeck - Experiences/Prices/Sq Footage

Want to add some racedeck for my garage.

Questions to those who have:

- Best online source - pricewise/shipping?

- How much square footage do you need for an Elise (I believe it's sold in 20 SF lots)?

- Experiences?

If you have pics/links send 'em my way. Would love to see people's patterns as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
He's on fire!

Considering it myself. Best source would probably be racedeck themselves. Why do just a pad and not a larger section of the garage? Maybe you already have an epoxy floor? As far as I know they don't send you tiles in blocks of 20 either. They gave me a quote on 252 tiles....

Most people seem to like it, but cons I have seen:

- heat expansion
- i think you need to pick up the tiles and clean underneath if you spill brake fluid, as it will seep between the tiles down to the concrete
- diamondplate is harder to sweep/broom than the coin top
- if you plan to park wet vehicles on it you may want to get some of the free flow tiles so you don't have to squeegee the water off the top

Last edited by jds62f; 08-10-2010 at 10:55 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Garage
I don't have it, but was looking into it. A complaint is the noise they make as you walk on them. The tiles they had at Sears (I've experienced) make this clacking noise as you walk on top of it. You have to add some sort of pad underneath the tiles to eliminate this sound.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
He's on fire!

i guess the sound isn't necessarily that big of a deal to me. I think it probably happens more when some tiles heat up and everything isn't flat to the floor. If you're thinking about putting something underneath it, you better make sure the concrete floor underneath doesn't have any moisture at any time.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Mal

I just did my garage with the one from Costco. I was going to do the black and white but have heard the white looks dirty after a couple of months so I bought the charcoal grey. It is very easy to install. My garage looks really clean now. You can cut them easily with a jigsaw. The sound walking on them is no big deal. I am very happy with it.

2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster
2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet
2006 Lotus Elise
2007 Saturn Outlook
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM

I reached out to the RaceDeck website a few weeks ago. If you "build" your garage on their website, they'll also send you a sample to your home (one tile) that you can play around with to get a feel for what it is. The stuff is mighty expensive - $2.99 / ft^2 without edging (which you'll definitely want) + shipping.

I might check out CostCo - Mal: how much were those there?

I think it's a pretty wise investment if you move / change your mind often, as you can reconfigure as you please. Good luck and post pics if you decide to go that route!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Just finished installing VCT

I love it. Easy to clean...

e
Attached Images

07' Exige S, LRG, Larini
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I bought the tiles directly from RaceDeck. Used their online design tool to try different patterns, colors, etc. The tool also provides the number/type of tiles you need to order for your floorspace. It was delivered on time and with an accurate inventory of tiles. I suggest buying a few spares of each color for initial cutting errors, or for replacing damaged tile in the future.

Overall I've very happy with the quality of the product. It took 2 of us about 3 hours to put down, including the time to cut edges to fit on a tablesaw. A rubber mallet to snap the tiles in place is your best friend.

Heat expansion can be a problem, especially with the sun-exposed tiles near the door, so its best to cut them short to the wall at least an inch or so.

The clicky noise was a minor irritant at first, but its really quite minor and you don't notice it much - if at all - after a short while.

Standing water (from AC condensation) just sits there until you towel it up. A drip-dry car just in from the rain can create more of a problem - I have a floor squeegee for this purpose. I would recommend against using white tile in your design - too hard to keep clean.

I've had the floor for more than a year and it still looks new. I'd do it again. Bad lighting, but here's an early picture:
Attached Images

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Mal

They are a lot cheaper at Costco in the U.S. then in Canada. I paid approximately $125.00 a box on special, they had been on special in the U.S. A couple of weeks before for about $89 a box. They have them on their website.

2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster
2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet
2006 Lotus Elise
2007 Saturn Outlook
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 PM

My boss did his garage. I checked it out. No way I would put that in my garage. Clop Clop Clop...

Concrete is in. Just clear coat it.

Epoxy paint from Griot's Garage, carpet tiles or the VCT Armstrong tiles are also better options IMHO.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM
He's on fire!

just playing devils advocate, but those aren't better options if any kind of moisture comes up through the concrete. epoxy, paint, carpet, or tile won't adhere to it for long. I really don't understand the deal about the noise it makes walking on it... guess i'm not that picky! Cleaning it up and sealing it isn't too bad of an option tho.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 PM

Good point. If moisture is an issue that would be a problem. I do know that Griot's Garage paint suggests that you shot peen and apply acid to the floor before application. This is for max adhesion of the epoxy paint. Prep is key.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

What about those Griot's coin textured mat thingies? Anyone use those?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I know I'm bringing up an old thread... but I've been reading through trying to decide what I wanted to do before I get my lift.

The mention of the Costco tiles (which I confirmed with RaceDeck they make, just like the Gladiator Garage / Whirlpool tiles) had me take a look at their prices. Found out they are on sale currently at Costo until April 17th, 2011 a 48 pack is $99.99 ($40 savings).

Not sure on the RaceDeck price (though the online chat person indicated the Costco tiles were similar, but less expensive), but I know on forums that RaceDeck is a sponsor they offer discounts... just need to see what sort of discount that is now.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Has anyone noticed the Racedeck commercial has a Lotus Sport in it? I think I was watching Speed Channel this year and last and saw both a Sport as well as Kirkham Cobra. Whose Sport is in the commercial?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Jorgen, who owns Racedeck, has owned a Lotus for a number of years. He was a member here back in the day. Good guy.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks Randy. It is eyecatching when you see "your" car in a commercial when it is a srare as a Lotus.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Funny this thread came up - we are building a new house and the expoxy and concrete stain quotes we got were 4.50-6.00 a sq/ft and only had a 5 yr warranty. Looks like race deck for me too.

07 CO Elise, ReVerie CF Side Scoops, ReVerie 3-Element CF Diffuser, ReVerie center console, ReVerie front splitter, 111 Tow Hook, 111 Boomerang Tow Hook, 111 Bootie, Redline Boot, BWR Key, V1, Larini Exhaust, Green filter, LidBone, MicroMirror, R888, CF Sills, Stud Conversion, Exige seats, Schroth Belts, Sector 111 V-Brace....
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Garage
I bought the Race deck flooring about ten years ago when they first came out. My wife and I did our standard size two car garage in about a day. We bought a small table saw to cut the tiles. It would have been easier if I had done it before the cabinets where in. Also I started from the back corner and worked my way out to the front of the garage. Wrong way to go, I had to cut the last tiles at the open end of the garage in half.
I have since installed a rack on top of the tiles, it works just fine. I don't remember what we paid for them, and If I had it to do over I would have not had a light color (yellow) at the open end of the Garage ( driving over them makes them dirty ).
Ron
Attached Images

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
I bought the Race deck flooring about ten years ago when they first came out. My wife and I did our standard size two car garage in about a day. We bought a small table saw to cut the tiles. It would have been easier if I had done it before the cabinets where in. Also I started from the back corner and worked my way out to the front of the garage. Wrong way to go, I had to cut the last tiles at the open end of the garage in half.
I have since installed a rack on top of the tiles, it works just fine. I don't remember what we paid for them, and If I had it to do over I would have not had a light color (yellow) at the open end of the Garage ( driving over them makes them dirty ).
Ron
and all i saw was the alfa flag! ...you are a good man

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in