Will the EZ lift work with the Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Will the EZ lift work with the Elise?

Just curious if this would work given the complicated Elise jacking / jackstand sequence?

EZ CAR LIFT - FREE-STANDING USE-ANYWHERE CAR LIFT! FAST. SAFE. STRONG. EASY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Just curious if this would work given the complicated Elise jacking / jackstand sequence?
Sure it will work. And it will be lifting the car from the same wrong places that caused QBALLs car to "Qball" off the lift.

The problem with the Elise is that the rear jacking points (the "C" & "D" points) are under the under-tray. You have to remove the under-tray to get to the support points.

Unless you get a (highly recommended) Jack Helper that lets you lift the rear of the car in one operation (but you still have to remove the under-tray to support the car).

Or you get one of the "four post lift adapters" that one of the vendors made (I believe another company makes now makes it) that bolt onto the rear of the car and provide lift points for the various lift options.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - still a noob here and took delivery of my Elise SC on Saturday. I want to get under this thing, take off the wheels and look around.

Assuming this is the part you are referring to...and cheaper to boot.

'08 Elise SC Storm Titanium

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Thanks for the reply - still a noob here and took delivery of my Elise SC on Saturday. I want to get under this thing, take off the wheels and look around.

Assuming this is the part you are referring to...and cheaper to boot.
Yep, that's the Jack Helper - it is worth it. I put it off for a long time then kicked myself for not getting it sooner.

I allows you to lift the car, but you still need to support it after you get it up. Most use it to lift the car to put ramps under the wheels (I do). Then you can remove the under tray and do oil changes etc. You can also just back up on the ramps (I did that before I had the Jack Helper) which is also very easy. The problem is after you get the back end up in the air and the under tray off. Then you need to get it on jack stands to work on the wheels, etc. NEVER get under a car supported only by a floor jack (they been known to let go suddenly).

So, you can back up on ramps or use a jack helper to lift it and place the ramps (use RhinoRamps not the higher metal kinds). The remove the under tray, then use the jack helper to lift again and place the jack stands under the rear sub-frame (the lift points "C" - the "D" lift points are farther back under the rear diffuser). Then you can lift the front - lift by the "A" point on each side and place the jack stand under the "B" point.

Best way to lift an Elise is a drive on four post lift. That picks up the whole car by the wheels and you can get to the underside then. A good four post lift can also have built in "jack trays" that can then be positioned to lift the car while it's on the lift (that sounds silly, but you need a way to raise the car off it's wheels so you can do brake and suspension work). But that is more expensive and most importantly, requires a tall enough garage.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 PM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
Or you get one of the "four post lift adapters" that one of the vendors made (I believe another company makes now makes it) that bolt onto the rear of the car and provide lift points for the various lift options.
LotusTalk member tesprit designed and made those originally, and now Thomasio, of Really Light Stuff is producing them. A search should bring up the threads.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM

I use the Rhino ramps and Jim jack helper most of the time. But Phil has a similar Model and has used it without incident on the Elise constantly.

2005 Elise Starlight Black
1991 Elan Monaco White
1973 Triumph Stag, second owner.
1975 XJ12C Jaguar pillarless coupe.
1960 Daimler Limo, drives great look like hell, project in the works.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 AM

There's a good thread on lifts. I bought a scissors lift that is great! It lifts my Elise up to the ceiling and makes it super easy to work under the car. I can even sit on my little roller stool to do most things.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
LotusTalk member tesprit designed and made those originally, and now Thomasio, of Really Light Stuff is producing them. A search should bring up the threads.
Thanks... I bought mine form the original batch Tesprit made, but my mind was just blocking out the name (they say the second thing to go is the mind). High quality, perfect fit. Recommended even if you don't have a lift as it might make it easier for some shop to lift your car and not do a Qball...

The problem with lifting the car from the "A" through "B" jack points is that it barely keeps the car on the lift. I was at a shop and out of curiosity, we used a two post lift once to see how to lift my car. Placed the lift arms at the "B" points up front, and the "A" points in the rear. Lifted the car so the tires were a couple of inches off the ground. Pushed gently on the rear spoiler of the car, and the front lifted off the "B" points. The car looks like it's on there solid, but it isn't. That's what happened with Qball's car - they lifted it up high, and remove one front tire - that was enough to shift the balance, and it went over backward.

I think I'd skip a scissor lift that spread the load between the "A" and "B" points. The problem is that you want the rear held up farther back than the "A" point. Tespri's (and now Thomasio's) lift kit solves that problem. The scissor lift might work just fine with the lift kit installed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in