work benches - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
German Reimport

work benches

So I figured we have plenty of threads about garages in general, but what do you guy's have specifically for your work bench?

Our office was shut down for the week (I had to take vacation), and I always wanted a better work bench to work on my stuff. I really didn't have anything good for the last years.

The work bench in my last house in Germany was some random parts of some kitchen cabinets with an old counter top made out of particle board. Paired with a $35 bench vise which I bought from Harbor Affright. Nothing fancy to say the least, but it got the jobs done.
Now that I'm back in the US and didn't have a work bench in the garage of my current rental place at all, I figured it is time to built one.

I did a lot of research about work bench tops and went all the way from laminating a bench top myself to buying a ready to use work bench.
At the end I ended up with a counter top from IKEA of all places. Solid beech wood, 74"x25 5/8"x1 1/8" (HAMMARP Countertop - 98x1 1/8 " - IKEA).
You can't beat the price of $129 on this one.

Since the thickness of 1 1/8" isn't that great for a sturdy work bench I initially had the idea to just get some 2x12" boards from the local home ripoff store and glue/bolt them to the nice IKEA counter top for added stiffness.
Then make some metal legs to bolt to the top and call it good.

So I went to Home Ripoff store and got me the 2x12's and put them in my garage until I had time to start the project.
3 weeks later I took a look at them and they had morphed into the shape of a banana

That's when I changed my plan and decided to just build a steel structure for the counter top.

After lots of planning in my head it was time to start cutting some of the metal I bought. All the metal is 1/4" thick, except for the flanges with threads in them, which are 1/2"

Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  383.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0149.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  357.7 KB

I had already fabricated the legs beforehand. I machined some 2" diameter steel coasters with a M10 threaded rod which screws into a 1/2" thick plate welded to the bottom of the legs for height adjustment and to level the workbench.

Name:  IMG_0151.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  281.3 KB

The welding all had to be done at my father-in-laws place. I do have my own stick welder, but it is European (240V / 380V) and I just couldn't get enough heat into the weld without blowing a fuse on my transformer or on the power outlet in my garage.
But luckily the in-law has a good welder and he had no issues with me doing some welding at his house. The only pain was me having to haul all my stuff there.

Next was to smooth all the welds and make it pretty

Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  477.2 KB

Then test fitting all of it and the dreaded paint job. Two layers of primer, followed by two layers of Rust-Oleum "Metallic Aluminum Enamel Paint".
It was like, ..., well, ..., watching paint dry....

Name:  IMG_0157.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  381.7 KB

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

Last edited by Mr.C; 07-02-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
German Reimport

Since I'm European, everything I have is metric and 220V, including my lathe. I have to run all my power tools off a transformer, which seems to work great.
Plus I have tons of metric bolts, but of course I didn't have them in the correct length I needed.
Therefore all the bolts I used had to be machined to the length required

Name:  IMG_0184.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  378.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  369.5 KB

After that it was time to drill the holes for mounting the vice.
I was super nervous because the fear that the wood could splinter.

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  346.1 KB

The vice mounts to some additional cross members on the steel frame and not just to the wooden top.
I figured that would add some additional strength.

Name:  IMG_0187.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  275.3 KB

Between the frame and the workbench top I added some foam tape.
I'm not 100% sure that this was the greatest idea because the foam might settle down over time, but we'll see.
I figured it would level out some of the minor imperfections between the steel frame and the work bench top

Name:  IMG_0176.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  352.7 KB

And by the way, the grayish block in the left of that picture is what those crooked 2x12" boards I had bought ended up becoming.
My option was to either have them end in the fire pit, or to turn them into some car ramps. I choose the later since I needed something anyway in case that I need to get all four corners of the car up. So I have two of those car "ramps" in addition to my two rhino ramps now.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

Last edited by Mr.C; 07-02-2015 at 09:36 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
German Reimport

Some assembly required....
All the holes in the counter top were pre-drilled

Name:  IMG_0177.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  321.9 KB

And the final stages...

Name:  IMG_0179.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  388.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0181.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  334.5 KB

I think she turned out pretty sexy.
I wish she could have been lower by one or 2 inches, but the goal was to be able to slide my tool chest underneath.
Maybe once I move into a more permanent place where I will hopefully have more room for a shop I can place the workbench separately and lower her two inches by cutting off some material of the legs. But she's pretty good for now...

Name:  IMG_0192.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  354.2 KB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 PM
...call me a space cowboy

your regularly scheduled program will return shortly...

I was stationed in Germany during 1989 to 1991 (short stint in Iraq...ARMY RULES BITCHES). Nuremburg was the ****...loved Germany!! Props to any of my Duetsch brothers and sisters!

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 PM

Awesome workbench! It looks absolutely amazing, great work!

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
Awesome workbench! It looks absolutely amazing, great work!
Thanks

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Looks great. Much better than what I have. The one thing to add would be a large block of wood to use as a base for hammer work. A log would work well. I was able to salvage a keel block from a shipyard.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
Looks great. Much better than what I have. The one thing to add would be a large block of wood to use as a base for hammer work. A log would work well. I was able to salvage a keel block from a shipyard.
Great idea! I'll start looking around to see what would be good to use for a hammer block. I remember my grandpa had a round metal disk about 15" diameter and 2" thick on his work bench for just that purpose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in