• 2 Post By KZ3
  • 2 Post By Simplife
  • 2 Post By steelypip
  • 2 Post By steelypip
  • 1 Post By KZ3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi LT members,

Was about to register for an account only to discover that I had already created an account here. Anyways, I am currently a 91 NSX owner and I am considering replacing my NSX with a n/a Elise S2. I am from Toronto, Canada.

I haven't been inside an Elise S2 before, so I am not sure if it is the right car for me yet.

Here's the most recent picture of the old girl on my computer (from 2018), still looks the same at the time of this post:
Attached Images

NoRawkus305 likes this.

Last edited by Andr3w; 05-01-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 AM

Welcome. I don't know if its just me, but I don't see any pictures loaded. Definitely sit in one before considering. GLWS.

Gabe
Andr3w likes this.

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Welcome!

Gentry Lane currently has a few used ones for sale.
Andr3w likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM
KZ3

Garage
1st gen NSX owner considering Elise S2

I made the switch from a 91 NSX as well. Both are amazing cars.

NoRawkus305 and Andr3w like this.

2007 Chrome Orange Elise

Last edited by KZ3; 04-29-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZ3 View Post
Ditto. From '97 NA2 to Evora S.

Both great cars. Wish I could have kept both.

Andr3w, if you feel the Elise isn't for you, consider the Evora.

It is more of a GT car like the NSX, if that's what you're looking for.

Less focused but more civilized and accommodating.

Obviously it depends on what you're looking for.

Good luck.
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplife View Post

Yes, you really need to hang out with an Elise/Exige before you decide if one is for you. The Elise/Exige is the least practical streetable Lotus since the Seven family.

If you want something that is tiny, impractical, manual (the biggest automation on an early Elige is ABS), handles like a go cart and pretty easy to keep, an Elise/Exige might be for you.

If you want something comparable in stature and function to your G1 NSX, you're looking at an Evora or Esprit. They have more luggage space, more interior volume, fit (somewhat) bigger people, and are easier to get in and out of.

That said, I wanted the Elise precisely because it's the extreme case. I have other cars for practical purposes...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
Welcome. I don't know if its just me, but I don't see any pictures loaded. Definitely sit in one before considering. GLWS.

Gabe
Thanks!

Oops... wanted to link the picture from my google photos but it didn’t work.

Uploaded to forum now as an attachment.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
Welcome!

Gentry Lane currently has a few used ones for sale.
I saw the few they had. Planning to check them out just to get a feel of the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZ3 View Post

Do you miss anything from the nsx? What do you like most about the Elise? What made you switch? How’s the reliability/maintenance of the Elise compared to your nsx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplife View Post

Ditto. From '97 NA2 to Evora S.

Both great cars. Wish I could have kept both.

Obviously it depends on what you're looking for.

Good luck.
I agree. Both cars are very unique. I think if I lived somewhere that allows me to drive a sports car all year round, then I would keep the nsx. Since I only drive the nsx on the weekends from June to October, I want something that’ll be an “event” during that time.

How’s the reliability and maintenance so far for your Elise to your nsx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
Yes, you really need to hang out with an Elise/Exige before you decide if one is for you. The Elise/Exige is the least practical streetable Lotus since the Seven family.

If you want something that is tiny, impractical, manual (the biggest automation on an early Elige is ABS), handles like a go cart and pretty easy to keep, an Elise/Exige might be for you.

If you want something comparable in stature and function to your G1 NSX, you're looking at an Evora or Esprit. They have more luggage space, more interior volume, fit (somewhat) bigger people, and are easier to get in and out of.

That said, I wanted the Elise precisely because it's the extreme case. I have other cars for practical purposes...
Although the nsx is fun to drive but I always wish my nsx didn’t have a stereo system, cruise control and was smaller and lighter.

If I lived somewhere that allowed me to drive it daily all year round, then I would definitely stick with it. Since i can only drive it occasionally for a few months a year, I want the short driving time to be very eventful.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andr3w View Post
Although the nsx is fun to drive but I always wish my nsx didn’t have a stereo system, cruise control and was smaller and lighter.

If I lived somewhere that allowed me to drive it daily all year round, then I would definitely stick with it. Since i can only drive it occasionally for a few months a year, I want the short driving time to be very eventful.
You're definitely in the right box, then, if you're small enough to be comfortable in an Elise. I know people over six feet drive the car, but I find it difficult to believe that it's as natural a place to be (and get into and out of) if your 6'4" and 200 lbs as it is if you're 5' 8" and 175 lbs.

I won't be removing the radio and speakers from my Elise, but I won't be upgrading them either. I do listen to it when doing maintenance, and when parked somewhere waiting for somebody. Should be handy for trips to the drive-in theater as well. Probably will be putting in one of those cheap, lightweight head units, though, just for bluetooth and USB.

There are some things that are constant penalties: You never parallel park. You're always looking carefully at speed bumps and inclines. You're very quickly aware of both how small 4 cu ft is and how hard it is to actually get things through the small hatch into the boot. You are always looking over at doors or undercarriages. It's a pain to get in and out of with the top on. Don't worry about enjoying the stereo while at speed - between the tire noise, wind noise, and engine noise, you won't be. The engine is tuned about as well as the average street rod, meaning it's almost as balky as a 1960s performance car.

There are things that the car is better at than I expected, too: The headlights (once aimed), wiper, defog, etc, are pretty good - better than on most cars of the 1960s. The ABS is just as good as Lotus bragged at the time. Fitting/removing the soft top is fast and easy. It cruises effortlessly in the 70+ (don't know where the comfortable cruise upper end is, I'm guessing around 100) MPH range, once you get used to the steering, and gets shockingly good fuel economy while doing so. The electrical system is really pretty decent given where British cars were with that 20 years ago.

It's very hand built with the pros and cons that entails. There are signatures and dates all over my car. The engineering is 'best effort of 50 guys over a few years trying to "simplify and add lightness"' not 'thousands over decades of obsessive kaizen perfecting everything' Sometimes stuff is just wrong (oil coolers, headlight burns). Sometimes it doesn't last as well as you'd like (CDL modules, engine wiring harnesses). is not an abstract concept when you own a Lotus.

OTOH, Lotus will sell you lots of parts for an old Elise right now, and do regularly run batches of things for obsolete models to keep them on the shelf and the cars on the road. They're just common enough that you can find fixes and replacements for things that commonly need them.
aterren and Andr3w like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:08 PM
KZ3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andr3w View Post

Do you miss anything from the nsx? What do you like most about the Elise? What made you switch? Hows the reliability/maintenance of the Elise compared to your nsx?

Not really, but like you I only drove it during the summer on the weekends. I wanted something more raw and eventful during those drives. I love the spartan interior, lack of features, and even the smell of the engine that seems to permeate the cockpit. Reliability has been fine. Pretty uneventful thanks to the Toyota drive train.
Andr3w likes this.

2007 Chrome Orange Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in